Samsung PS51E550 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Issues, etc.

Please help guys.I recently ordered a Belkin surge protector(gold series) on e-bay.Below is the link.The product reached me today.The problem is it has no 15 amp power socket which my plasma needs.Now I dont know what to do.And then on the warranty card it's clearly written that any further extension from the surge-protector voids the warranty.

Help me out.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....:PPOPN:IN:1123

Please help guys.I recently ordered a Belkin surge protector(gold series) on e-bay.Below is the link.The product reached me today.The problem is it has no 15 amp power socket which my plasma needs.Now I dont know what to do.And then on the warranty card it's clearly written that any further extension from the surge-protector voids the warranty.

Help me out.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....:PPOPN:IN:1123

You can use conversion plug. You can get that in any electrical shop.

Adding one of the conversion plug would have no bearing on warranty of surge protector?And furthermore,will surge protector work the same(in terms of protecting against power surge) as it is intended to?

By warranty I mean the damage coverage which is upto 1 lakh rupees.As the warranty card mentions that "all connected equipment should be plugged directly into your Belkin surge protector".So after adding the conversion plug,can the connection technically be called "direct"?

Last edited:
Samsung is just playing safe. The TV does not require 15A. It can safely work with 5A. With a load factor of 0.6667, the 5A plug is sufficient for 766W TV (230V x 5A x 0.6667).

Yes, I agree with just4kix. I even asked the same question to the installation engineer. He did not have any answer.

Samsung is just playing safe. The TV does not require 15A. It can safely work with 5A. With a load factor of 0.6667, the 5A plug is sufficient for 766W TV (230V x 5A x 0.6667).

Perfect !
I did the same. The Power cord supplied by Samsung is with 15A three Pin where as such 15A connection for TV is not possible for me to fetch, hence I did cut the cord near Pin and fitted good quality Anchor 5A Three Pin.

How does one turn off the picture while listening to internet radio . The tools button on the remote does not work while the TV is on Internet mode.

@ritzman, Now that you've been using E8000 for some days, would it be possible for you to post comparison between E550 and E8000?

@ritzman, Now that you've been using E8000 for some days, would it be possible for you to post comparison between E550 and E8000?

People who bought E550 before diwali offer, pls. don't loose your sleep over thinking you missed E8000 which was available for 95k with Tab 2.

I've used both the TV's & I feel E8000 is certainly good VFM for the price, but the differences are not much!

Advantages of E8000 over E550
- Less or no reflection at all when watching in bright room (they 've added a filter to reduce reflection)
- Voice & motion controls (I feel it's more of a gimmick), but it's must for playing angry birds or any future motion control games
- Camera (720p) I use this mainly for skype video calls
- Touch remote, this is very useful for browsing internet or while using smart apps
- IR blaster (Not using as I've a Harmony remote)
- Additional USB (3 in total)
- Two additional 3D glasses
- Full MHL support for connection mobile/tab over MHL port
- With Dual view app you can transfer TV screen to your mobile TAB
- Dual core helps when using 'smart hub' only

What I liked in E550 over E8000
- Although both have same pic quality, on E550 the pics look more bright as it lacks the additional filter
- In dark/less light I found E550 better than E8000

Now coming to what you pay (I'm only going by MRP)
PS51E550 - 78k
1. Two additional glasses - 2k (without warranty @ National market, 1.3k in the showroom)
2. Touch remote - 4k (on amazon, you can use touch remote app on your mobile instead)
3. Camera - 4k (on amazon)

So, overall 78 + 2 + 4 + 4 = 88k

Price of PS51E8000 = 95k, & u still save 7k :clapping:

Overall I've not found any difference in picture quality. For additional features/functions, which are not resulting in improved pic quality, one has to pay that extra amount.

Now, you make a judgement because these are purely my thoughts!

Regards,

Is it possible to connect a regular web cam to the TV for skype or do we need to buy the samsung camera?

I am finally settling for purchasing Samsung 51E550 this new year. The reason for rejecting 50UT50 from Panasonic was due to following reasons:
1. Heard from friends and colleagues that Panasonic service is not that good as Samsung
2. Heard from reliable sources that Panny might close Plasma TV business in India soon. So service will get a worst hit anytime.
3. Dealers commented bad about Panasonic technical issues, and many doesn't seem to have Panasonic atleast in Chennai. Mostly they create artificial demand and push old stocks at high price.
4. UT50 lack of built in Wi-fi and cost of 3D glasses.
5. Couldn't find much of difference during the demo between both TVs

Realizing that both Plasma TVs doesn't differ much in their own technical terms and marketing jargons, and considering reliability of Service and Product leadership of Samsung, I am going to Samsung. Sammy wins!!!

I am finally settling for purchasing Samsung 51E550 this new year. The reason for rejecting 50UT50 from Panasonic was due to following reasons:
1. Heard from friends and colleagues that Panasonic service is not that good as Samsung
2. Heard from reliable sources that Panny might close Plasma TV business in India soon. So service will get a worst hit anytime.
3. Dealers commented bad about Panasonic technical issues, and many doesn't seem to have Panasonic atleast in Chennai. Mostly they create artificial demand and push old stocks at high price.
4. UT50 lack of built in Wi-fi and cost of 3D glasses.
5. Couldn't find much of difference during the demo between both TVs

Realizing that both Plasma TVs doesn't differ much in their own technical terms and marketing jargons, and considering reliability of Service and Product leadership of Samsung, I am going to Samsung. Sammy wins!!!

Even m planning on buying this tv..any chances u gonna buy it from pune??

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back