Samsung PS51E550 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Issues, etc.

No. But being carefull and prudent is being wise. So don't watch movies only. Watch full screen content also and make a mix and match.

So it means watching a movie for 2hrs with black bars is no problem?
And when u say movies only I think u meant my viewing habit(?),not viewing at one stretch.Am I right?

So it means watching a movie for 2hrs with black bars is no problem?
And when u say movies only I think u meant my viewing habit(?),not viewing at one stretch.Am I right?
Yes. Things to be careful in the first 200 hours:

- turn down contrast and brightness to 35% or less
- watch in zoom mode to avoid display of channel and dth logo
- not to watch the same channel over and over (even in zoom mode a part of the logo may be displayed on screen)
- if there is pixel orbiter or equivalent function, turn it on
- if you want 200 hrs to go quickly, and in the turn also prevent IR use break-in slides for one hour everyday (download them on pen drive, keep nothing else on pen drive, and run in slideshow mode)
- restrict 2.35:1 letter box mode to no more than 2 hours or watch it in zoom mode
- watch content like "BBC Planet Earth" which displays full screen content and has brilliant colours and content; will age the phosphors evenly

Hi,

I am zeroing on the PS51E550. Shown it to better half she is for " Overall Clarity" than Panasonic. Hence now I have no option.

Special Thanks to 1) Just4Kix, 2) Techila & 3) Curious for their valuable help to me to take this decision.

So guys suggest : Should I book it now? or wait till Dussera(24th Oct)?

Also Planning to buy Samsung Home Theatre HT-E4550K. Lets see if Dealer is ready to replace the BD offer with this offcourse with max 20K extra.

Any suggestion for HT? the above HT do have 3D-Blueray+DVD+CD with Virtual 7.1 & 1000W RMS. :rolleyes:

Josh!

@Techila : I have visited Poona y'day, he offered 73.5K with 3D bundle.

Last edited:
hello every one...m planning to buy this tv this diwali..i was just concerned about the video quality on standard definition set top box ..i have dish tv.. does it pixelate ???

hello every one...m planning to buy this tv this diwali..i was just concerned about the video quality on standard definition set top box ..i have dish tv.. does it pixelate ???

my experience - 51E490 does **not** pixelate with some channels like Discovery, NatGeo, some news channels and many other channels.
Distance 7.5+ Feet. Buy yes, HD connection is always preferable.

Sanket.

My TV has crossed the 200 usage hrs line.Now if I watch movies with top n bottom black bars,will it lead to IR??

Not sure why you watch in black bars mode. I watch every movie in full screen and it looks fantastic. And no IR worries.

Sanket.

E550 owners - please tell me how big is the reflection issue? Seemed like a huge issue at the shop but then at home we dont use such bright lights, rooms are moderately lit with a tubelight or CFL. Is it really that bad? I'll be shifting to a new place soon and there is a window that would sit straight in front of the TV which I'll cover with curtains. There will be a door to balcony on the side which is likely to remain open during weekend day viewing. Should I go for E550? I like my room moderately lit mostly, dont like to play games or watch movies in darkness unless it is a horror movie which I would watch in dark occassionally.

E8000 is not available else would have negotiated hard and taken that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

E550 owners - please tell me how big is the reflection issue? Seemed like a huge issue at the shop but then at home we dont use such bright lights, rooms are moderately lit with a tubelight or CFL. Is it really that bad? I'll be shifting to a new place soon and there is a window that would sit straight in front of the TV which I'll cover with curtains. There will be a door to balcony on the side which is likely to remain open during weekend day viewing. Should I go for E550? I like my room moderately lit mostly, dont like to play games or watch movies in darkness unless it is a horror movie which I would watch in dark occassionally.

E8000 is not available else would have negotiated hard and taken that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You will need to cove the windows with heavy or dark drapes to prevent reflections.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I have not faced any major reflection issues as long as the source of light is not directly opposite the tv.
We have a hall about 20 * 22 with almost no walls where the tv is placed and the only problem is one tube light on the opposite wall.

heyyy thanks for your previous updates...I have yet another question for all members ...some of you guys are using it for more than few months...and the question that keeps bugging me is the image retention....is it that severe?? cause our DTH operator don't care to move there logo and also the black bands that are there while watching the normal SD channels wont go.... so does it really affect ?? please revert bak guys...thank you...

hey can any one please tell me the model no of the 3D glasses..cause I checked on the Samsung ka website and there are two glasses(SSG-4100GB) and (SSG-3500CR) both of which are shown as incompatible with ps 51e550....I was thinking of purchasing 2 more ...:cool:

m sorry if m bugging u guys a lot...but can some one please post some pics of SD channels on this tv .....I tried going to the showroom yesterday and they didn't have Digital connection...:mad: so please....can some one....
thanks...:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back