Samsung PS51E550 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Issues, etc.

So I can set the digital audio output of this tv to PCM /LPCM?

From what I can see, PCM, DTS and Dolby Digital are the modes that are available with PCM set as defaul

Some useful information for the Samsung E550 club. I can confirm that a wireless keyboard and mouse works with this television. I purchased a Dell KM113 wireless keyboard and mouse that works on radio frequency 2.4ghz range and it works without a hitch. Range is the only concern as I sit 16 foot away from the television and the keyboard won't pickup. The mouse works at this distance. This is not the televisions fault. I moved closer to 15 foot distance and the keyboard worked flawlessly.

Sonix usb device is what is detected as the Dell keyboard and mouse combination.
mouse_r.jpg

Nice! Do you do much browsing on the TV now? How fast does it render pages?

Also, how long have you been using the e550? Any pros and cons based on your usage and how much did it cost you (assume you purchased it in bangalore?) Apologies if you have already posted this before.

Guys, a slightly offbeat question :p. Am not planning on wall-mounting if i pick up this TV. Need suggestions for a TV stand / entertainment unit! Can anyone recommend something for me?

I think the TV should be about 4ft in width and about ~25kg in weight right?

Guys, a slightly offbeat question :p. Am not planning on wall-mounting if i pick up this TV. Need suggestions for a TV stand / entertainment unit! Can anyone recommend something for me?

I think the TV should be about 4ft in width and about ~25kg in weight right?

If you buy an entertainment unit make sure that the Tv has at least 4" space on all sides.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

If you buy an entertainment unit make sure that the Tv has at least 4" space on all sides.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Yes. Am opting for an flat, table type unit, so there will be enough space on the sides and behind the TV. Only yet to finalize the TV and hope to do it by this weekend :)

There's no custom mode for picture.So suppose I calibrate the same way in every mode-same numbers for contrast,brightness etc in each mode,in what way the picture would be different in each mode?
Forgive me if I sound noob.

There's no custom mode for picture.So suppose I calibrate the same way in every mode-same numbers for contrast,brightness etc in each mode,in what way the picture would be different in each mode?
Forgive me if I sound noob.
If you set every option to be identical in all picture modes, all the picture modes will be identical.

What kind of 3D can it play?Only side by side and top-bottom?
It would be helpful if someone explains different kind of 3D material n what the tv can play?

What kind of 3D format can it play?Only side by side and top-bottom?
It would be helpful if someone explains different kind of 3D material n what the tv can play?

Anyone experiencing brightness flickering up n down? I've set every extra n unrequired setting to off.But the problem still persists.Only when I bring down cell light from 20 to 18 or below it seems to disappear.Though I can't say for how long as I've not observed it in the long run.
While googling for solutions I came across 2 possible causes;a faulty logic board(whatever it is!),and a firmware update might solve it.
Please throw some light on it.

The current software version on my tv is 001011.

Last edited:
Only when I bring down cell light from 20 to 18 or below it seems to disappear

Why do you watch tv with cell light at 20??? Even 18 is on the higher side. Properly calibrate you tv. Then you will see flicker free and gr8 picture quality. Simply jacking up all settings to Full will not do you any good and neither does that provide good picture quality.

I've set everything below 50 as the 1st 100hrs is not yet completed.Only cell light was set at 20,that too for the last 2 days.Only then I noticed the problem.
@madhavk8

But it seems u r saying that my panel is ok.I've nothing to worry about?

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Set the mode to movie and make the settings to default. Then make sure there are no external light sources in the room and then play 3d check if there is any flicker. If there is flicker then there is problem with the panel and otherwise there isn't...

Noticed a wierd problem with the TV/STB last night.

I've connected my airtel HD recorder STB to 51E550 via HDMI cable. I was watching a movie on Movies Now. I noticed that there was a white dot on the TV. It remained even after changing channels. On close observation, I noticed that it was of size 2 pixel wide and 4 pixel high (8 pixels in all).

I tried switching off the TV and STB from remote and switching back on a couple of times. When the TV was turing on (with Smart TV logo), the white spot was not there. However, as soon as it started dislaying contents from STB, the white spot re-appeared. It went away only after I turned off the TV and the STB from mains supply.

Is there something to worry about? If yes, is it my STB or TV? I think (and hope), it should be the STB as the problem appeared only when the TV started dislaying contents from STB.

Note: I don't think, it matters, still as an additional info, the STB is also connected to Yamaha YHT-196 AVR via TOSLINK audio cable.

Noticed a wierd problem with the TV/STB last night.

I've connected my airtel HD recorder STB to 51E550 via HDMI cable. I was watching a movie on Movies Now. I noticed that there was a white dot on the TV. It remained even after changing channels. On close observation, I noticed that it was of size 2 pixel wide and 4 pixel high (8 pixels in all).

I tried switching off the TV and STB from remote and switching back on a couple of times. When the TV was turing on (with Smart TV logo), the white spot was not there. However, as soon as it started dislaying contents from STB, the white spot re-appeared. It went away only after I turned off the TV and the STB from mains supply.

Is there something to worry about? If yes, is it my STB or TV? I think (and hope), it should be the STB as the problem appeared only when the TV started dislaying contents from STB.

Note: I don't think, it matters, still as an additional info, the STB is also connected to Yamaha YHT-196 AVR via TOSLINK audio cable.
Do you notice this problem with some other source, e.g., USB movie? You must have got the 3D BDP with the TV with a free BD. Have you tried with it?

51E550 handles 25,30,50,60 fps signal extremely well and dies not cause any judder. Though 24fps signals sometimes causes very minor judder when cinema smooth is enabled as it runs the panel at 96hz (but if cinema smooth is disabled there is no problem)

Back