Samsung PS51E550 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Issues, etc.

I verified the Panel Display Time and it showed correct ~145 Hrs. Curiously I just went through some options but when I exit of this menu, I'm not getting original colors...it is not that bad but not as good as earlier. Even after factory reset, I didn't get the original colors :sad:

One thing I noticed that Panel Display Time is also got reset to 0Hrs after factory reset.

I tried many settings in Picture menu(not Service Menu) but I'm not getting original colors. Is there any way to verify if my settings in service menu got changed ?

Otherwise I think I will have to take help from Samsung support.

Thanks
It seems you have made some changes by accidentally pressing some other keys while in the service menu. Get the service menu setting values from some other E550 owner and change them manually. I don't think there is factory reset for service menu.

Noob question:I'm planning to buy this tv.The judder(while watching tennis)I experienced is troubling me.Will this be a problem or can it be dealt with?
If I'm not wrong, I think crt doesn't produce judder or at lest less judder.
Please clarify.

This problem cannot be dealt with and you notice judder in fast moving scenes, higher end plasma's and LCD's reduce this effect but you wont get true film like motion.

CRT's most certainly have Judder and again depends upon the model and the picture processing used.

I have both Panasonic and Samsung plasma and both have noticeable judder.The Sony LCD that we has very minimal judder bot the motion does not look film like.

I'm a tennis fan.I've never experienced this kind of thing in my 29in sansui crt.This is completely new to me.The motion of tennisball on my crt is almost in realtime.

I am watching plenty of sports including tennis on my ST50. I watched sports on xt50 in the showroom also. I cannot detect any of this so called "judder". I can't believe that Samsung plasma suffers from judder.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Calibrated Picture Settings for 51D550 & 51E550 :
Picture Mode: Movie
Cell Light :18
Contrast :90
Brightness :52
Sharpness :15
Color :50
White Balance
--------------
R-Offset :26
G-Offset :24
B-Offset :26
R-Gain :30
G-Gain :20
B-Gain :29
---------------
Color Tone :warm2
Film Mode :Auto1
Color Space:Auto
And dont forget to name the HDMI source as PC or DVI , this will always get you the best color output. Also i suggest using these settings only after the initial break-in period.

Last edited:
I am watching plenty of sports including tennis on my ST50. I watched sports on xt50 in the showroom also. I cannot detect any of this so called "judder". I can't believe that Samsung plasma suffers from judder.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

All panasonics until the 30 series have horizontal pan issues. They have particularly bad motion artifacts for 50Hz. It is not new.

All because of the introduction of utterly useless 3D and fast phosphor changes related to that.

E550 owners, please throw some light on judder-whether u r experiencing it or not.The tennis video I'as watching was 30 fmps.
Please keep in mind that I don't understand very well the ramifications of all the specs.

E550 owners, please throw some light on judder-whether u r experiencing it or not.The tennis video I'as watching was 30 fmps.
Please keep in mind that I don't understand very well the ramifications of all the specs.

I watched Federer match on ESPN HD & did nit see any judder

Samsung 51E550 group buy available for this weekend only 68.5k with BDP offer. If anyone interested pls contact [email protected] Hurry as the offer is for limited period only and stock are presently available

I'm a tennis fan.I've never experienced this kind of thing in my 29in sansui crt.This is completely new to me.The motion of tennisball on my crt is almost in realtime.

Obviously size plays a very important factor,you really look close on things in a 29" CRT while in a 50" plasma things most certainly appear different.If i see your CRT i can point out the judder but that will ruin your tv viewing experience :)

But i don't think this is a big issue i watch a lot of tennis in my samsung plasma and it looks absolutely fine to me.

but on the other hand you could be noticing motion blur and not judder and that is another issue with many flat panels, if you think of all the negatives you may end up not buying any television.:)

Motion Blur, Gaming on Panasonic ST30 Plasma - YouTube

The Trouble With LCD TVs: Motion Blur and the 120Hz Solution

Blurry faces with Samsung, Sony LCD. Is this motion blur? - CNET Home audio & video Forums

HDTV blur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PN58B650 600hz plasma with horrible motion blur - Blu-ray Forum

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1588301

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384029/c...etter-motion-of-fast-images-plasma-or-lcd-led

Calibrated Picture Settings for 51D550 & 51E550 :
Picture Mode: Movie
Cell Light :18
Contrast :90
Brightness :52
Sharpness :15
Color :50
White Balance
--------------
R-Offset :26
G-Offset :24
B-Offset :26
R-Gain :30
G-Gain :20
B-Gain :29
---------------
Color Tone :warm2
Film Mode :Auto1
Color Space:Auto
And dont forget to name the HDMI source as PC or DVI , this will always get you the best color output. Also i suggest using these settings only after the initial break-in period.

Thanks Madhav, I trying this method for break-in. Is there any better method?
Break in your Plasma TV...the easy way! - YouTube

It seems you have made some changes by accidentally pressing some other keys while in the service menu. Get the service menu setting values from some other E550 owner and change them manually. I don't think there is factory reset for service menu.

You are right ... it was "HDMI Calibration" which failed 2 to 3 times but fortunately got succeeded on next try and now I'm getting original colors.
Just now I came across many scary posts about accidentally hitting this option.
Same thing happen with me Service Menu HDMI calibration
and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=729746

Please avoid going into service menu. Also note that left or right arrow of remote can change the values in service menu if no sub menu is available for current option.

I think it is good idea to take screenshots of all pages in service menu of working PS51E550 model and post in this thread for future reference.

Anyone tried anything other than the consoles or scroll bars for breaking it in...? I'm using slides from EAprogramming with intermittent Hathway SD box.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back