Samsung PS51E550 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Issues, etc.

Thank you santu and viper08.

@viper08: Samsung sends BD player at a later date. The installation engineer, who wall mounted the TV today, told me that I should be getting it in 2 weeks.

I paid 73K.

Congrats. That is a good price. Plus you have got a 3D BDP worth 11k and one title worth 800. This makes the purchase worth nearly 12k less.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Friends, who own this TV, please guide me on how to check usage hours.

I've read that we can check usage hours by following this process:
In the standby mode press Info+Menu+mute+power

However one of the members, of this forum, reported that he had some issues when he accidently activated HDMI calibration or something and there were some issues with the colour accuracy of the TV.

Can someone of you, who has successfully checked the usage hours provide a step by step guide (with screenshots if possible) on it? It would be great if we get to know what not do (e.g. which key should not be pressed) once we are in the service menu.

Info+Menu+mute+power is the right way(of course in standby mode).Just press one key after another,the tv will open with service menu.Then check under svc(u have to select it).U cn find panel display time second from the top.I did it once and after it the picture settings went back to default .I readjusted them again.

Friends, who own this TV, please guide me on how to check usage hours.

I've read that we can check usage hours by following this process:
In the standby mode press Info+Menu+mute+power

However one of the members, of this forum, reported that he had some issues when he accidently activated HDMI calibration or something and there were some issues with the colour accuracy of the TV.

Can someone of you, who has successfully checked the usage hours provide a step by step guide (with screenshots if possible) on it? It would be great if we get to know what not do (e.g. which key should not be pressed) once we are in the service menu.

Whatever things you want to check/ modify, take a note of its parameters and values on written paper before hand. Will be handy if something goes bad for recovery.

I'm not sure how to get audio out of this tv to my intgrtd stereo amp(yamaha as500) while playing video through usb?
Pls help.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to get audio out of this tv to my intgrtd stereo amp(yamaha as500) while playing video through usb?
Pls help.

I just checked both machine specs..
tv has optical out only..
u can only way seems optical to 2 channle analouge converter:eek:

best is to buy a separate media player around 4k asus o play mini for ur usb needs.....or there are much cheaper ones around 2k who send stereo signal only..

Last edited:
BTW how long does it take to get the free BD player from the date of purchase of the tv?

I waited for over a month and the blu ray player never landed up with the free 3d blu ray title. I raised a ticket with the helpline. That did not help either. I gave them a week. All they kept saying is I will get a call from the service center. No call ever came.

I finally used the option on their support pages called Mail the Ceo. Got the blu ray player and Tron Legacy 3D blu ray disc within two days after emailing the ceo. I am not sure if emailing the ceo really goes to the ceo. The response I got was more like a bpo one.

Receiving the blu ray player is another story. I get a call from Samsungs Electronic City office saying a person will be coming home in the evening to deliver the player. The person is travelling by bus all the way so they requested me to guide him to my place which was fine with me. Though the delivery person was supposed to come to my door step, he skipped the bus stop I instructed him to get down at so I walked all the way to the end of the bus stop as it was close to home. I meet him, take the blu ray player and blu ray disc, sign some documents and then he asks me for a tip. He sure took the trouble to come all the way so I offer Rs. 20. Unsatisfied be asks for a Rs. 50. I gave it as I got what I wanted. That is how the story goes. Hope none of you have to face this.

I hope and pray I never have to deal with Samsung support or anyone ever again.

The blu ray player works great and the Tron Legacy title is a just brilliant. This title can truly reveal what the E550 is capable of. The pictures are stunning.

I'm all at sea regarding how to integrate this tv with my stereo system(u cn see my signature).The tv has only digital optical audio out,and the yet-to-receive BD player has only coaxial audio out.So is digital-to-2 channel converter the way out?Or I can consider about a budget media player?Which is the way in which sound compromise will be the minimum?
Or is there a third way out?
Pls explain in detail.

Thanks in advance.

a cheap media player seems good.it will be a better investment than a converter.although a optical to stereo converter if can be bought at say 500 Rs..its ok.
or a old dvd player with usb port and RCA out can be also a soultion.

Last edited:
The tv has only digital optical audio out,and the yet-to-receive BD player has only coaxial audio out.So is digital-to-2 channel converter the way out?

Yes.

I am assuming you are using some set top box for your tv viewing. Does your tv get its signal via hdmi from the set top box? You can run a analog output from the set to box directly to one of the inputs of your Yamaha integrated amplifier to get television broadcast sound on your stereo.

You might want to get your hands on one of these to get digital audio out from the blu ray player or even the tv.

Amazon.com: FiiO D3 (D03K) Digital to Analog Audio Converter With Micca 6ft Optical Toslink Cable - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC: Electronics

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-SW-29767-Digital-Converter/dp/B005D8YTKQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1346430671&sr=8-12&keywords=5.1+channel+convertor

This product can take the optical audio out from your tv or digital coaxial from the blu ray player and send a regular rca output to your stereo.

The Fiio should be available in India as the company has a distributor.

It is not worth investing in another media player as the tv and blu ray player can do the job. Besides; buying a media player still does not solve the problem of getting sound from your tv running into your amplifier.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back