Samsung vs Panasonic

vadiraj

Hi,

I have zeroed on Samsung 37-B530 or Panasonic TX-37LZ80C models....

I am little concerned about the specs..

Samsung has 70,000:1 contrast ratio vs 10,000:1 of panasonic..

I dont see any other difference between them....

I am getting Samsung at 44K and Panasonic at 39K :)

what do you guys suggest...

My heart goes for Panasonic, not just for the price but I have 29" Tau series flat TV and its been wonderful...

cheers>>>
Vadiraj

LCD, definitely the edge lies with Samsung, their panels are better (much better contrast) and their image processing is much superior (the best, along with sony's BE3). Of course, please let your own eyes be the judge.

Hi,

I have zeroed on Samsung 37-B530 or Panasonic TX-37LZ80C models....

I am little concerned about the specs..

Samsung has 70,000:1 contrast ratio vs 10,000:1 of panasonic..

I dont see any other difference between them....

I am getting Samsung at 44K and Panasonic at 39K :)

what do you guys suggest...

My heart goes for Panasonic, not just for the price but I have 29" Tau series flat TV and its been wonderful...

cheers>>>
Vadiraj

+1 to samsung,although do note that 37" is a odd size ,for about 6k more u can get the 40B530,some have bought it for 48.9k with freebies like samsung upscaling dvd player and 50movies and other local store freebies.i don't know how they manage to bargain for that cheap,but i would say 5 to 6k more is worth for the 3" more.

Thanks for your recommendation...

BTW, i was curious to know if the contrast ratio makes such a difference.. (70,000:1 vs 10,000:1)..

cheers..
Vadiraj

Thanks for your recommendation...

BTW, i was curious to know if the contrast ratio makes such a difference.. (70,000:1 vs 10,000:1)..

cheers..
Vadiraj

well the quoted contrast ratio are bull,the real ANSI contrast ratio of samsung is around 2500:1 or less,the LG won't be anything more then 900:1.

Thanks fellow forum members for all your support & guidance.

Finally after a long thought between, the SONY 40V550 (70k) & SAMSUNG 40B530 / 40B550, purchased the SAMSUNG 40B530 from Reliance Digital yesterday for 47K, along with upscaling SAMSUNG DVD player and other freebies.

I will be giving a detailed post soon on my purchase.

Finally after a long thought between, the SONY 40V550 (70k) & SAMSUNG 40B530 / 40B550, purchased the SAMSUNG 40B530 from Reliance Digital yesterday for 47K, along with upscaling SAMSUNG DVD player and other freebies.

well finally congrats on ur purchase at 47k thats a good deal.
the 40V550A and 40S550 prices are just to high now compared to others,if sony doesn't reduce the prices,i doubt it will sell.they both are positioned against samsung B5xx series,the price gap is now just to much.
my guess i sony will soon price S550A at 52k to 56k and V550A 56k to 61k,going by the prices of W550A (india price = Thailand /Singapore price ,so no difference ).

Last edited:

Congrats!! thats a real neat price, are you from Mumbai ?? I got the same TV a few days back :D

well finally congrats on ur purchase at 47k thats a good deal.
the 40V550A and 40S550 prices are just to high now compared to others,if sony doesn't reduce the prices,i doubt it will sell.they both are positioned against samsung B5xx series,the price gap is now just to much.
my guess i sony will soon price S550A at 52k to 56k and V550A 56k to 61k,going by the prices of W550A (india price = Thailand /Singapore price ,so no difference ).

Thank you, adder!

I must say here that, your posts have been very helpful and informative too, for many of us on this forum. I know we've been back & forth a few times on certain discussions. Very healthy discussions. Thanks again, for your support & guidance.

As far as the SONY 40V550 & 40S550 pricing goes, very interesting that you mention it here. I have something to say on the similar lines what youve mentioned. I will put it in proper context when I write my detailed post on the SAMSUNG 40B530.

Congrats!! thats a real neat price, are you from Mumbai ?? I got the same TV a few days back :D

Thank you very much! Originally from the Mumbai / Pune area, I currently reside in Hyderabad.

Congrats to you too!

Hello people,

I am looking to buy a 42" plasma and am confused between the panny C10/X10 and Sammy B430/B450.

I have not been able to audition the samsung TVs but read good user reviews on these plasmas. Whereas on auditioning the panny C10, I was most dissatisfied by the amount of reflection from it. The X10 seemed better but I am not sure whether that was becoz of the position of the TVs.

I have been quoted 44K for the C10 alongwith the panny scratchcard and a 7" DPF. The B430 can be got at 43K alongwith the samsung hi-def DVD player but the shop is not able to arrange a demo.

Any feedback or reviews on the B430/B450 or pointers to where I can audition it for myself would be most appreciated.

Your thoughts please.

Congrates Geotrack,you will be busy in calibrating LCD,I m sure Samy will be better than what you saw in shop.

OK, Finally..after multiple views, reviews, finally decided on Panasonic 37LZ80C.

Few factors i considered..

Pros :
1. Panny has IPS panel - supposed to be durable panel..
2. Panny has 24 fps - may be equivalent to Sam's 200 HZ motion plus, but not sure..
3. Obvious 5K less than Samsung..

Cons :
1. Panny does not have USB.. :(
2. Panny's depth is 30 mm more than Samsung..
3. Panny has 2 HDMI vs 3 in Samsung
4. Panny's power consumption is 198W vs Samsung's ~ 140W..

Apart from these differences, i did not much difference between them. So I decided to stay with Panasonic since I owned a Panasonic 29" TV for last 5.5 yrs without any trouble at all..

Few tests i did after i got my tv:
I was not satisfied with the cable connection i have hence was disappointed to see the display when i first installed..hmmm..:(

i decided to throw a DVD on and check..so I connected my Panasonic BDP 30 component output and watched few scenes from Mummy returns and Eagles videos..this was much better...:)

I grabbed a HDMI cable and couple of Bluray discs from Landmark this afternoon..boy it was real Panasonic, I got to see..Spiderman III, Fast and Furious-Tokyo Drift and Transformers..Mindboggling picture clarity..Superb depth in blacks and excellent motion pictures..

Looks like i need a break from work...just to sit and enjoy.. hahaha..

Sound output is superb. My yammy (Yamaha RXV 557 bought in 2000 from US) can only play DTS and Dolby..I think I need a change here as well to complete my set up..hmmmm not now..

Thanks for all for sharing your thoughts..

cheers>>>
Vadiraj

here's the comparision list i had made..unhide rows to see more details..

thnx
vadiraj

Attachments

• lcd comparision.xls
    76 KB · Views: 34
the differences i've observed in last year's models ( the A410 and PV8) and reviews i've read for this year would suggest the following:

Samsung pros:

better colour, better picture with HD sources, far more tweaking options

Panasonic pros:

better blacks, less image retention

Both are excellent in their own right and great value especially when compared to the LCDs in the price range, and you wouldn't go much wrong with either.

Hello people,

I am looking to buy a 42" plasma and am confused between the panny C10/X10 and Sammy B430/B450.

I have not been able to audition the samsung TVs but read good user reviews on these plasmas. Whereas on auditioning the panny C10, I was most dissatisfied by the amount of reflection from it. The X10 seemed better but I am not sure whether that was becoz of the position of the TVs.

I have been quoted 44K for the C10 alongwith the panny scratchcard and a 7" DPF. The B430 can be got at 43K alongwith the samsung hi-def DVD player but the shop is not able to arrange a demo.

Any feedback or reviews on the B430/B450 or pointers to where I can audition it for myself would be most appreciated.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks psychotropic & mPhilip.

I am a little concerned that both these TVs are of 1024x768 resolution (not true 16:9). Wonder how much of a difference this would make in comparison with LCDs?

P.S. I have not yet bought the TV. So please keep the comments/recos flowing.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back