Samsung Vs Sony LCD

therider

I am talking about entry level medium sized LCDs. I was inclined to Sony. Visited dealer and reviewed both Bravia(Sony) and DnIe(Samsung) 26"s. Samsung is as good or even better! And the price is around 10K less. What you say?

therider

You are probably paying a premium for the Sony brand name. Yes I agree with you that Samsung makes some great LCD's for the price.

My two cents :
Technically, check number/type of I/Os supported, scan frequency & resolution, contrast ratio, response time and pixel pitch. These differentiate LCD panels.
:)

SKP is right. The above are the specs that you need to match between the 2 models you will shortlist alongwith the off air sound and picture quality. Things are very different ( sometimes terribly) between demo HD content and off air pictures and sound.

I have a 37" Samsung LCD, the pictures are good but the sound is just allright.

Re: Samsung Vs Sony LCD - a cautionary tale

I bought a Sony 32" LCD TV in March and discovered within a week that were light patches on the corners of the screen which were very prominent while viewing any material that had dark backgrounds (eg the numerous night-time scenes in a movie like "Signs").

I did some checking on the net and found this was a problem reported with Sony's Bravia series of TVs in several countries, including the US and Australia. I got in touch with Sony's customer care section and asked for a replacement set, failing which I said I would approach the local consumer court. I also brought to their attention all the material available on the net regarding the problem with the Bravia TVs.

Two Sony engineers who visited my home initially tried to spend hours explaining to me that there was nothing wrong with my TV. I put my foot down and insisted on a replacement. As I am a journalist, I also took up the matter with people in Sony at a higher level.

Imagine my surprise when Sony decided a few days later not to replace the TV but to REFUND my money -- something I had not even asked for. Just confirmed my suspicion that there is something seriously wrong with the Bravia series.

I am now a happy owner of a Samsung 32" LCD TV. Its controls are not as sophisticated as that of the Sony, but at least it doesn't have the patches and is about Rs 7,000 cheaper.

great job! my best compliments.

These guys sell stuff at atleast 50% higher to what they sell in US/Europe.
They should atleast provide decent products for the whopping price tags.

What about LG LCD .. I am planning to buy a 40+ soon.. was in favour of Sony.. however not i am not sure.. ( just by reading this blog).. can someone advice me.. LG i can get few discount as i know someone. Pls help me to decide on the model .. thanks in advance.

Go with Samsung. Their 37 inch model is stunning with 8000 : 1 contrast ratio. Sharp Acqua series also very good. Stay clear from LC, ONIDA and Philips. By the way, Samsung makes LCD panels for SONY, LG and all.

Go with Samsung. Their 37 inch model is stunning with 8000 : 1 contrast ratio.

I have the above model and am quite happy with it in terms of Picture Quality but the Sound is just allright. It was the best 37" at that time ( Apr2007) and I did not want to go beyond 37".

Go with Samsung. Their 37 inch model is stunning with 8000 : 1 contrast ratio. Sharp Acqua series also very good. Stay clear from LC, ONIDA and Philips. By the way, Samsung makes LCD panels for SONY, LG and all.

Hi,
Which model from Samsung are you talkign about. Is it the Bordoux art series with 1080i support ?

I am talking about entry level medium sized LCDs. I was inclined to Sony. Visited dealer and reviewed both Bravia(Sony) and DnIe(Samsung) 26"s. Samsung is as good or even better! And the price is around 10K less. What you say?

therider

I would recommend the Hitachi Lcd tv over Sony & Samsung.
If you can go take a demo.

Regards
SNV

Hi Snv,
I have been researching a bit about Lcd?s these days.
Somethings I came to know from the AVS forum.
1. Sony + Samsung and Philips + LG are the common tieups (factories in korea) for creating lcd panels while Sharp makes their own and supplies to Sony too.
2. Apart from lcd panels there could be other factors which contribute to the quality of picture produced.
My main purpose for panel is playing games on X-Box 360 . PS3 and movies on a good upscaling player like the oppo dv 980 / 981 ( have to acquire one soon). The PS3 and XBOX-360 output 1080i / 1080p. I need good response time to maintain smooth movement while playing fast paced games at very high framerates. Good picture quality picture with good black levels is of course necessary.

I am looking at 37inches. 1080i / 1080p.

Any thoughts on the Hitachi model ? Why you prefer that over the Samsung bordoux art ? Model number ? price ?
Thanks.

Hi Snv,
I have been researching a bit about Lcd?s these days.
Somethings I came to know from the AVS forum.
1. Sony + Samsung and Philips + LG are the common tieups (factories in korea) for creating lcd panels while Sharp makes their own and supplies to Sony too.
2. Apart from lcd panels there could be other factors which contribute to the quality of picture produced.
My main purpose for panel is playing games on X-Box 360 . PS3 and movies on a good upscaling player like the oppo dv 980 / 981 ( have to acquire one soon). The PS3 and XBOX-360 output 1080i / 1080p. I need good response time to maintain smooth movement while playing fast paced games at very high framerates. Good picture quality picture with good black levels is of course necessary.

I am looking at 37inches. 1080i / 1080p.

Any thoughts on the Hitachi model ? Why you prefer that over the Samsung bordoux art ? Model number ? price ?
Thanks.

Dear Square_wave,

You are right about the company tie ups. The 2 lcd panel companies I prefer are Hitachi and Sharp.
As you are well aware, a product in not always what the specs claim it to be.
Response time/Refresh rate is key drawback in lcds. Its a technology constraint.
A Lcd cannot match the black levels of a plasma.
You have to see the Pioneer plasma to believe it. The deepest blacks I have ever seen.
Quality also depends on the grade of the panel used by the company.
The heart/engine of the panel is the processor.
I can show you panels with better processors and slower response time of 8ms (Hitachi) performing better than a lcd with lousy processors and a better response time of 5ms & now even 2ms (LG)
If you can, then opt for the 42" plasma from Hitachi - 42PDA01A.
If you want the worlds best 42" plasma then its the Pioneer undoubtedly.

Regards
SNV

Thanks SNV for the detailed reply.
I may have to opt for a 37inch LCD over 42inch plasma due to budget/space constraints.
I am aware of the 5ms response touted by LG these days. I was wondering why all others have 8ms.
Any particular model in Hitachi you have in mind ?
They have two models in 37inch)
L37A01A (720p/1080i)
Hitachi Consumer India

L37X01A (1080p ? full hd)
Hitachi Consumer India

Those are the current models.

If you need Full Hd then - 37X, if you are content with Hd ready then its the - 37A.

Regards
SNV

Any idea about the pricing on these ?
I can't find a dealer in bangalore yet. I know someone who deals in Hitach but they said they don't have the models in yet.

LG scarlet 42 inch is great...purchased it last week...too good. better than sony bravia

What about LG LCD .. I am planning to buy a 40+ soon.. was in favour of Sony.. however not i am not sure.. ( just by reading this blog).. can someone advice me.. LG i can get few discount as i know someone. Pls help me to decide on the model .. thanks in advance.

Re: Samsung Vs Sony LCD - a cautionary tale

I bought a Sony 32" LCD TV in March and discovered within a week that were light patches on the corners of the screen which were very prominent while viewing any material that had dark backgrounds (eg the numerous night-time scenes in a movie like "Signs").

I did some checking on the net and found this was a problem reported with Sony's Bravia series of TVs in several countries, including the US and Australia. I got in touch with Sony's customer care section and asked for a replacement set, failing which I said I would approach the local consumer court. I also brought to their attention all the material available on the net regarding the problem with the Bravia TVs.

Two Sony engineers who visited my home initially tried to spend hours explaining to me that there was nothing wrong with my TV. I put my foot down and insisted on a replacement. As I am a journalist, I also took up the matter with people in Sony at a higher level.

Imagine my surprise when Sony decided a few days later not to replace the TV but to REFUND my money -- something I had not even asked for. Just confirmed my suspicion that there is something seriously wrong with the Bravia series.

I am now a happy owner of a Samsung 32" LCD TV. Its controls are not as sophisticated as that of the Sony, but at least it doesn't have the patches and is about Rs 7,000 cheaper.

Hi,

This is very useful and helpful information to the forum members. Thank you very much for sharing the information with us.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back