Screen for 4K Projector

What ALR material did you use and where did you procure it from?

When you say results were amazing, any specific improvement over your last arrangements?

I am using a Liberty Grandview right now which was purchased 7 years back, I am just inquisitive if upgrading to a newer technology screen would improvise the picture quality not necessarily in reference to a 4k resolution :)
I also have a120 inch grandview screen. But I don’t see any difference when using my diy screen vs the grandview. Unless you are looking to remedy a problem like ambient light or low brightness in a pj there is not much that any screen can add. Probably shades of grey help contrast or high gain helps in brighter image or an acoustic transparent screen helps in concealing speakers etc. In fact if you get a frame made you can buy different materials and experiment.

Frankly, I am baffled by claims of screens being FHD or 4K ready! A screen is a screen, Ain't it?

I gave the link as an option.
Appa
I also have a120 inch grandview screen. But I don’t see any difference when using my diy screen vs the grandview. Unless you are looking to remedy a problem like ambient light or low brightness in a pj there is not much that any screen can add. Probably shades of grey help contrast or high gain helps in brighter image or an acoustic transparent screen helps in concealing speakers etc. In fact if you get a frame made you can buy different materials and experiment.
Thank you for your feedback! Any resources for Frame and material would be helpful. :)

ALR screen from Aliexpress but it’s tough to get the correct viewing angle. Blackout cloth you can get from any fabric store which is large enough to store these type of cloths.
So any blackout cloth may do? I thought Carl's blackout cloths were something special.
Claims of screens being 4K ready is stupid I think, just to lure in buyers who don't know any better.
I too have the same 120" Liberty Grandview matte white pull down screen. Serving me well since past 8 years. Lock system broke once or twice, but was repaired promptly by dealer.
Now need to setup projector on a smaller room so looking for a 100-110 inch screen. I was initially set on buying an electric expensive screen but after hearing your thoughts about no perceptible difference, now thinking of using my carpenter for DIY.

I did some homework today to find that I can project 112 inch wide (not diagonal) if my screen touches the wall. My main problem is keeping screen intact and that is one prime reason for considering Fixed Frame. I just stumbled over
https://www.amazon.in/ELITE-SCREENS...35MKAZREY4R&psc=1&refRID=17856XSKY35MKAZREY4R

Looks like I can use this to conviniently project 112" wide and just hang it wall closer so that it doesn't move when Fan is on.

Any thoughts?

So any blackout cloth may do? I thought Carl's blackout cloths were something special.
Claims of screens being 4K ready is stupid I think, just to lure in buyers who don't know any better.
I too have the same 120" Liberty Grandview matte white pull down screen. Serving me well since past 8 years. Lock system broke once or twice, but was repaired promptly by dealer.
Now need to setup projector on a smaller room so looking for a 100-110 inch screen. I was initially set on buying an electric expensive screen but after hearing your thoughts about no perceptible difference, now thinking of using my carpenter for DIY.
Found this explanation logical, not sure of credibility though

also found this video helpful to understand the "gain" factor for selecting the projector screen
Check Video - ANSI Lumens and Screen Gain Educational Video

I did some homework today to find that I can project 112 inch wide (not diagonal) if my screen touches the wall. My main problem is keeping screen intact and that is one prime reason for considering Fixed Frame. I just stumbled over
https://www.amazon.in/ELITE-SCREENS...35MKAZREY4R&psc=1&refRID=17856XSKY35MKAZREY4R

Looks like I can use this to conviniently project 112" wide and just hang it wall closer so that it doesn't move when Fan is on.

Any thoughts?
For 112 inches width of wall, if you want to go for fixed frame, you need to consider 5 inches (2.5+2.5) of edges on either side. So, practically you will have around 107 inches width. Ideally, you can achieve 120 inch diagonal screen. Refer to the below links for calculations if you haven't already done.

This sounds reasonable. But you may have to hang it properly to maintain the screen tension.

Any thoughts?

For 112 inches width of wall, if you want to go for fixed frame, you need to consider 5 inches (2.5+2.5) of edges on either side. So, practically you will have around 107 inches width. Ideally, you can achieve 120 inch diagonal screen. Refer to the below links for calculations if you haven't already done.

125 inch diagonal with thin bezel is giving 108" wide view area :)
For fixed frame, 16:9 and 125" .. I will have to go for a custom made.
I found someone who is quoting RS. 19000 + GST for this with soft PVC material and 1.1 gain.

I am still fighting it out against 120" diagonal Elite Sable B2 (with CineWhite material, gain 1.3) costing little higher than this.

125 inch diagonal with thin bezel is giving 108" wide view area :)
For fixed frame, 16:9 and 125" .. I will have to go for a custom made.
I found someone who is quoting RS. 19000 + GST for this with soft PVC material and 1.1 gain.

I am still fighting it out against 120" diagonal Elite Sable B2 (with CineWhite material, gain 1.3) costing little higher than this.
I'm also looking for Sable Frame B2 120-Inch fixed frame, but it is out of stock everywhere. How much were you quoted and is it available in stock?

I got in contact via IndiaMart with a seller called Roshni AV sales from Delhi. I think they have their own manufacturing. for readymade 120" they quoted me some 13K + GST but for 125" (16:9) which they customised for me did cost me 20K + GST. They told me that its 1.2 gain, soft PVC material. The Frame is aluminium with Black Velvet to absorb the overshoot. Just like Elite Sable models.

I found everything as per discussion, the colours are better than my Liberty Grandview which I have been using past 8 years but somehow I haven't been able to decide upon the brightness. My Liberty Grandview was 1.0 gain and this is 1.2 but the brightness is almost same. My Room is almost dark (controlled lighting).

Happy to share the owners contact if anyone require. I will also post the pictures of installed screen tomorrow.

What I thought is, even if I attempt a DIY using a Carpenter ... probably I might end up 16-17K (please remember that I am in Udaipur and its not easy to get custom made here), better was to just buy a readymade one. The fitting was easy and quick almost on the lines of Elite Fixed Frames.

Had to ask help of Carpenter to uninstall old screen, assemble this new screen and install.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-04 at 12.31.29 AM (1).jpeg

Join the 4 sides, tighten up L Brackets, Spread the screen, tighten up with springs and done.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-04 at 12.31.29 AM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-04 at 12.31.29 AM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-04 at 12.31.28 AM.jpeg

I got in contact via IndiaMart with a seller called Roshni AV sales from Delhi. I think they have their own manufacturing. for readymade 120" they quoted me some 13K + GST but for 125" (16:9) which they customised for me did cost me 20K + GST.
What was the viewable area in readymade 120"?
It must be your own carpenter. right?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back