Screen for 4K Projector

I got in contact via IndiaMart with a seller called Roshni AV sales from Delhi. I think they have their own manufacturing. for readymade 120" they quoted me some 13K + GST but for 125" (16:9) which they customised for me did cost me 20K + GST. They told me that its 1.2 gain, soft PVC material. The Frame is aluminium with Black Velvet to absorb the overshoot. Just like Elite Sable models.

I found everything as per discussion, the colours are better than my Liberty Grandview which I have been using past 8 years but somehow I haven't been able to decide upon the brightness. My Liberty Grandview was 1.0 gain and this is 1.2 but the brightness is almost same. My Room is almost dark (controlled lighting).

Happy to share the owners contact if anyone require. I will also post the pictures of installed screen tomorrow.

What I thought is, even if I attempt a DIY using a Carpenter ... probably I might end up 16-17K (please remember that I am in Udaipur and its not easy to get custom made here), better was to just buy a readymade one. The fitting was easy and quick almost on the lines of Elite Fixed Frames.
can you share a close up of the screen material?

can you share a close up of the screen material?
I tried taking a picture to show material but unable to capture the details. Its not a smooth canvas for purpose I believe. Its very white unlike seen little grey in picture. Attaching a picture of screen with frame border and how its installed in my Room.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 12.28.29 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 12.31.29 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 12.31.29 PM (1).jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 12.28.29 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 12.28.29 PM.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 44
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 12.31.29 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 12.31.29 PM.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 39
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 12.31.29 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-11-07 at 12.31.29 PM (1).jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 48
I tried taking a picture to show material but unable to capture the details. Its not a smooth canvas for purpose I believe. Its very white unlike seen little grey in picture. Attaching a picture of screen with frame border and how its installed in my Room.
Is the screen smoother than earlier Grandview? Is there any perceptible difference in picture quality compared to Grandview?

Is the screen smoother than earlier Grandview? Is there any perceptible difference in picture quality compared to Grandview?
Yes the screen material is smoother and less pixelated, honestly I haven't been able to decide upon any perceivable difference in quality as against Grandview. A/B testing is not possible also in case of screen so I am only trying to compare with general quality I recall from last screen. I do see some improvement in color reproduction (which could be completely in my mind also) but the brightness has kind of decreased. I am still trying to do some calibration using the tool in Xbox settings.

Overall, so far except increase in viewing size and having screen tucked neatly! .. I haven't realised much of a value.

Finally I have been able to capture a closeup of Screen Material

Below is to help you understand the smoothness/roughness of screen. The 3.5mm jack for comparison of scale

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-11 at 9.33.03 PM.jpeg

Below image to understand whiteness, the part with "screen" is the screen and part with "w" is my white wall.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-11 at 9.32.12 PM.jpeg

I must add that I am not much happy with screen material quality. I might retain the frame (125" custom made) and just change the Screen Material. The seller confirmed that the Screen Material is not even at par with quality of Liberty Grandview. I figured that both brightness and contrast have been degraded as compared to my earlier screen.

A lead for high quality screen material would be great help!
I also looked up Carl's Place "Ultra White" material but not sure of spending almost Rs. 15000 on material and shipping + custom.

Below is to help you understand the smoothness/roughness of screen. The 3.5mm jack for comparison of scale

View attachment 51876

Below image to understand whiteness, the part with "screen" is the screen and part with "w" is my white wall.

View attachment 51877

I must add that I am not much happy with screen material quality. I might retain the frame (125" custom made) and just change the Screen Material. The seller confirmed that the Screen Material is not even at par with quality of Liberty Grandview. I figured that both brightness and contrast have been degraded as compared to my earlier screen.

I also looked up Carl's Place "Ultra White" material but not sure of spending almost Rs. 15000 on material and shipping + custom.
Try a white blackout cloth. Cheap and worth experimenting with

View attachment 51876

View attachment 51877

If you have a white wall just project on it directly or paint it glossy white if possible

Yes I do doubt all the standard description they mention (many such companies selling Projector Screens on Amazon), I am using BenQ W1700
Sir i have same projector as well, what screen should I get for it for good performance, I'm a speaker builder and have a wood shop at home so I can make a frame as well, what to do?

Sir i have same projector as well, what screen should I get for it for good performance, I'm a speaker builder and have a wood shop at home so I can make a frame as well, what to do?
Hi, I would recommend buying a good quality screen material and customising your own frame (since you can do it) as per the screen size you require.

In most cases if the wall surface is smooth enough asian paints "ceiling white" should do the trick.

I have built projector screens in the past with blackout cloth(joann's usa), pure white laminate sheets(wilson white usa brand) etc with not much success.

Solely my opinion but be it any screen any frame, handling variable aspect ratio of movies and blocking the non used area is a serious pain. hence best and most convenient option always is just a plain white wall. You can always increase and decrease projected size with max flexibility. I used to project on clearly green wall and still i was super happy. The only real tangible advantage with Screen is the black masking around it that pops the image but again we need a manual /pull down/automated kind of masking to do it all the time for handling all aspect ratios.

Solely my opinion but be it any screen any frame, handling variable aspect ratio of movies and blocking the non used area is a serious pain. hence best and most convenient option always is just a plain white wall. You can always increase and decrease projected size with max flexibility. I used to project on clearly green wall and still i was super happy. The only real tangible advantage with Screen is the black masking around it that pops the image but again we need a manual /pull down/automated kind of masking to do it all the time for handling all aspect ratios.
I moved from green wall to a spandex based screen. The improvement in contrast was a lot.

Hi
I have an Elite 120 inch fixed frame 4K screen for sale. Bot it 2 years ago new from Elite in Mumbai.
Switched to 85 inch 4k TV as the projector went bust. Now screen is redundant and is for sale.
Bot for 39k new. Best offer over 20k can take it.
Am in Mumbai. 9821068022. Cash and carry. Or pay for shipping.

Narayan.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back