Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Player Owner's Thread

Any place in Bangalore where i can check the FreeAgent? And the approximate street price?

I have tried in a few computer accessories shops and all of them have only the basic NBOX model.

fang:
Ask in specific what you want. I will try to test it and give you a report.

sid, thanks. I have no specific technical queries, just wanted to get something like a user review of the player :)

Here are a few questions i had -

1. Have you faced any issues with the player, with regards to playback of files
2. How would you compare your experience with the Freeagent compared to the WD TV, Xtreamer etc?
3. Have you tried wifi streaming on your player?

thanks!

Any place in Bangalore where i can check the FreeAgent? And the approximate street price?

I have tried in a few computer accessories shops and all of them have only the basic NBOX model.

Check out Croma or Reliance Digital!

sid, thanks. I have no specific technical queries, just wanted to get something like a user review of the player :)

Here are a few questions i had -

1. Have you faced any issues with the player, with regards to playback of files
2. How would you compare your experience with the Freeagent compared to the WD TV, Xtreamer etc?
3. Have you tried wifi streaming on your player?

thanks!

No playback issues so far. It played everything i have given it. The only problem i find annoying is no buttons on the console. I have to hunt everytime for the remote. I keep transferring my unit from room to room. Can't remember where i kept the remote last time. :sad: :)

WD TV, Xtreamer have some more features like HD sound, maybe direct torrent downloads etc. I don't have an latest AVR so i did not find any point in going for HD audio media players.

For Rs. 4900 its a steal for the features offered.

Lastly, No i haven't tried wifi streaming.

Cheers
Sid.

Sid, i picked up the Theater+ at Croma yesterday. Have not yet plugged it in, but did unbox it. Pretty neat package with all the necessary cables except the HDMI. Cant wait to try it out. Will post my impressions on it over the weekend.

Only minor crib was that is cost me 4999/- instead of 4900/- :)

Hey Fang,

Enjoy ur purchase. Buying from croma does not give u full discount as they have to sell at fair selling price. Next time try local small shops. They give u more discounts.

Cheers,
Sid.

Hey Guys,

After going thro the posts and Siddh response, i went in for seagate theatre plus from US in black friday deals pretty excited abt it. It was available in newegg.com for a price of 49.99$ cheapest i could find. Deal is still there if anyone wants to grab it. One of my friend will get it for me to India.

Regards,
Sidd

^ I asked ICC World for a quote and they gave

Rs. 3800

Item price, local shipping, taxes: Rs. 2250

International Shipping: Rs. 810

Duty, Taxes, & Fees: Rs. 840

- DISCOUNT - Rs. 100

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL Rs. 3800

Seems to be a good deal! :)

2days ago suddenly the red led on my remote started blinking and after sometime the remote stopped working. I tought it was some stuck key. So removed the battery and opened the remote and locked it back again. It worked for some time and again the same thing happened. This time again i opened the remote, locked it but now the remote would not work. So after giving it a thought went to the shop bought new Batteries inserted them and it started working fine. So all this while it was giving an indication that the batteries need to be replaced.

So guys next time when ur remote's led starts blinking, I think it means that you have to change the batteries and seriously hope the could write this in the manual.

Cheers
Sid.

hey HTphile,

The device sure does have folder menu. Its in movies menu browse folder. If you mean to say that u want to directly go to the folder menu let me check.Shall post after the finding.

Cheers
Sid.

Guys,
One question on FAT+. Is it possible to copy files from one USB port to another? I dont see anything mentioned in the manual.

I have downloaded some movie songs in AC3 format (dolby digital - Only audio). I copied AC3 files into a pendrive and connected to the FT+. But it is not showing it either under movie or under music. Any idea how to play it?

Hey HTphile,

What is the file extension of the AC3 format? Check whether the audio extension is supported by FT+ coz if it is not showing you, the FT+ is not recognising the format.

About your question to folder view try making the folder setting to private. This was suggested to me on a seagate forum. I haven't tried it yet. Hope this works for you.

Cheers,
Sid.

Oh!good.I've a 25" CRT and want to use it
(a) with the component in.
(b) I would mainly be playing 720p origin mkv/avi files.Have u had any problems in playing these kinds of files?
(c) I've read that people aren't impressed with the UI.What's your impression?
(d) Have u tried using flash drives with it?
(e) Are u able to fast forward/rewind through the file?
(f) How are u getting audio out?I don't have a AV receiver.I'm using the 3.5 mm jack on my Altec Lansings to connect to the headphone-in on the TV!

Answers:
(a) You can play it using component in.
(b) I have tried both of them and it works.
(c) Yes, UI is not upto the mark. They may improve it in future releases.
(d) I have tried a USB Drive, USB HDD, Media Server on NAS using UpNP. All of it works fine.
(e) Yes.
(f) No idea. Haven't tried this.:indifferent14:

-------------------
FAT+, Synology DS110j

For people own an apple ipod touch/ipad/iphone, Seagate has launched a remote app which can be used to control their Theater+ via Wifi.

First upgrade your Theater+ firmware to the latest version. Then download "NetRemote" App from the AppStore. Works like a charm!

Very useful especially to enter text in search fields (Youtube, Picasa, vTuner etc) and also to send photos from the apple device to the display. There is also a file list feature.

Hey HTphile,

What is the file extension of the AC3 format? Check whether the audio extension is supported by FT+ coz if it is not showing you, the FT+ is not recognising the format.

About your question to folder view try making the folder setting to private. This was suggested to me on a seagate forum. I haven't tried it yet. Hope this works for you.

Cheers,
Sid.

Thanks Sid.

Regarding folder view, from main menu, after selecting our options (movies or songs or pictures) if we press the menu button on remote, we can get a drop down menu in which we can select folder view.

Regarding playing the dolby digital audio files, the file extension is itself .ac3. It is not playing I tried. I need to check whether this format is supported in any media player.

If so, we can clearly listern the digital audio from 5.1 home theater connected to this Media player. Currently I am unable (I downloaded some movie songs in .ac3 original digital format to try here).

I use this player only for music. To browse I use a cheap 7 inch car TV screen connected by composite connection. The fonts are all blurred and sometimes difficult to browse.

Is there a way to increase the font size ?

Is there any small TV screen available that can connect through component ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back