SEAL

What hurts is when younger listeners come to audition my speakers and say they can hear stuff above 15K in my fullranges clearly and I have to nod and act as if I can hear that too.

No worries. Most adults can't hear beyond 15 or 16 kHz. And that number decreases as one grows older. You're perfectly normal!

Young people can hear till about 18khz, 20khz would be very rare to find. 10khz to 20khz is just one octave, there is not much to fret about whether one's higher limit is 14khz or 18khz. We are told 20khz is normal hearing and everyone believes that they can hear it. ;)

I cant hear over 14khz and I dont feel I miss anything.

No worries. Most adults can't hear beyond 15 or 16 kHz. And that number decreases as one grows older. You're perfectly normal!

Yes I know it is normal. I was just curious about the cheap-a$$ drivers so ran the test. Their low-mid to upper-mid response is great for the price and I can hear that. Wanted to see what's going on where I can't. I had three pairs of them (two round and one octagonal) and killed two pairs in experiment. I would like to buy two more pairs but it's such a shame diyaudiocart discontinued them and replaced with only one octagonal model with a huge dust cap which looks pretty ugly. :confused:

Last edited:
Finally the fullrangers are getting a pair of phase plugs.

The pkugs are handmade from wooden belan (that thing with which they press the roti into circular and other shapes). Dyed to deep purple-brown. Couldn't get rid of the eccentric segment at the bottom, but it will be helpful during fixing on polepiece with superglue, will prevent glue from touching the voice coil, I hope.

Will upload more pix when speakers wear these, possibly tomorrow.

Cheers! :)

seal1.jpg
seal2.jpg

Well....may i ask what improvement in SQ are you expecting from these phase plugs ??

I have 12" FR drivers, and I feel they have a narrow HF dispersion. Particularly for fast beat and rock songs, the separation of instruments looks a bit mixed up. I'm "hoping" a phaseplug can improve my drivers in that area.

Do you have any similar issue with your Bolton FR? Or any other specific reason to add phase plugs ???

Well....may i ask what improvement in SQ are you expecting from these phase plugs ??

Primarily, a wider dispersion of HF above 8KHz. Secondarily, elimination of the shouting (peak) around 6KHz.

I have 12" FR drivers, and I feel they have a narrow HF dispersion. Particularly for fast beat and rock songs, the separation of instruments looks a bit mixed up. I'm "hoping" a phaseplug can improve my drivers in that area.

Try the plug, you won't be disappointed.

Do you have any similar issue with your Bolton FR? Or any other specific reason to add phase plugs ???

These are Boston Acoustics FRs and does have awful beaming at HF due to the whizzer plus the peak at 6KHz as previously mentioned due to the air pocket under the dust cap. With the two plugs installed, both effects have vanished! Detailed updates in my next post. :)

Primarily, a wider dispersion of HF above 8KHz. Secondarily, elimination of the shouting (peak) around 6KHz.
Wow...looks like I have both issues. y drivers are 200W and are 97dB sensitive. So They can go pretty loud. But at high volumes, they sound a bit shouty. And if my judgement is right, they have narrow HF dispersion too. So i have to try phaseplug for sure !!!

Hi fellas. Here are my thoughts on and after the phaseplug experiment.

The Process: Removed the drivers from the boxes. Used a few drops of petrol to soften the rubber-based adhesive used to fix the dust cap to the whizzer cone. Removed the dust cap with a tweezer slowly and carefully. Placed the drivers in sun for half an hour to dry off the petol. Put a thin circular line of Quickfix gum under the plugs and placed them on pole piece. Then dried under fan for about six hours with the drivers lying front side up.

Physical Aspects: Near the bottom, the plugs have about a couple mm gap between their outer plane and the voice coil. Although a little wider than what I like, it proved very handy during placing the plug on the pole piece and centering it without adhesive touching the voice coil. Oriented vertically, the top of the plugs protrude above the drivers' height by 4-5mm which initially looked a little odd to me, but after fixing the drivers to the enclosure they look quite nice in horizontal position. Also, (!) yesterday the dye looked deep-brownish than how they look today - deep purple, though I can't say that I hate it. Besides, the cone color isn't black either - more of a deep bluish-gray, with which I feel the plug color is well in "sync" haha. The hole from turning process is visible in front of the plugs, which doesn't bother me too much but I think I will put some m-seal on both to fill the holes and also maybe make the front a little convex or pointy... undecided as of yet.

Sonic Aspect: Now, did the plan work out in the audible domain??? The answer is YES!

No dustcap and voice coil cavity almost filled - so the 6KHz peak is gone and I can go full-band loud without covering the ears. The speakers are placed with about 4ft between them and used to gradually attenuate treble material as I walked from listening position towards the middle of them - at that point the emergent virtual mono in the middle was almost totally comprised of mids, and very little of highs. But now things are different. That gradual attenuation is gone and standing close to the speakers in the midpoint I can clearly hear trable. As it seems, the drivers now have much better dispersion than before. HF level feels more equalized all over the room - in other words the treble fills the room now, instead of firing like lasers! From the listening position I can feel a big increase of soundstage and improvement in stereo projection.

My first choices of test material was Bombay and Taal, and all the tracks came out with a higher dimension of clarity than I was used to get from these speakers. Due to the HF "lasering" being turned off, treble doesn't overpower the vocals now and I can hear the mids much more clearly and can dig deeper into the music without much effort (in loss of a better phrase to express it).

Overall, a success! Hurraayyy!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Here are a couple pictures of the speakers after placing the new phaseplugs.

DSC01121.JPG
DSC01123.JPG

Cheers!
shaan

Last edited:
Hi fellas. Here are my thoughts on and after the phaseplug experiment.

The Process: Removed the drivers from the boxes. Used a few drops of petrol to soften the rubber-based adhesive used to fix the dust cap to the whizzer cone. Removed the dust cap with a tweezer slowly and carefully. Placed the drivers in sun for half an hour to dry off the petol. Put a thin circular line of Quickfix gum under the plugs and placed them on pole piece. Then dried under fan for about six hours with the drivers lying front side up.

Physical Aspects: Near the bottom, the plugs have about a couple mm gap between their outer plane and the voice coil. Although a little wider than what I like, it proved very handy during placing the plug on the pole piece and centering it without adhesive touching the voice coil. Oriented vertically, the top of the plugs protrude above the drivers' height by 4-5mm which initially looked a little odd to me, but after fixing the drivers to the enclosure they look quite nice in horizontal position. Also, (!) yesterday the dye looked deep-brownish than how they look today - deep purple, though I can't say that I hate it. Besides, the cone color isn't black either - more of a deep bluish-gray, with which I feel the plug color is well in "sync" haha. The hole from turning process is visible in front of the plugs, which doesn't bother me too much but I think I will put some m-seal on both to fill the holes and also maybe make the front a little convex or pointy... undecided as of yet.

Sonic Aspect: Now, did the plan work out in the audible domain??? The answer is YES!

No dustcap and voice coil cavity almost filled - so the 6KHz peak is gone and I can go full-band loud without covering the ears. The speakers are placed with about 4ft between them and used to gradually attenuate treble material as I walked from listening position towards the middle of them - at that point the emergent virtual mono in the middle was almost totally comprised of mids, and very little of highs. But now things are different. That gradual attenuation is gone and standing close to the speakers in the midpoint I can clearly hear trable. As it seems, the drivers now have much better dispersion than before. HF level feels more equalized all over the room - in other words the treble fills the room now, instead of firing like lasers! From the listening position I can feel a big increase of soundstage and improvement in stereo projection.

My first choices of test material was Bombay and Taal, and all the tracks came out with a higher dimension of clarity than I was used to get from these speakers. Due to the HF "lasering" being turned off, treble doesn't overpower the vocals now and I can hear the mids much more clearly and can dig deeper into the music without much effort (in loss of a better phrase to express it).

Overall, a success! Hurraayyy!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Here are a couple pictures of the speakers after placing the new phaseplugs.

Cheers!
shaan
Wow that really looks amazing. Looks like finally it's complete, is it? I remember you mentioning this about a year ago.

Speakers looking neat.

MaSh

End of the day ....this is what is needed. Your efforts paid off !!! Congratulations !!!:D:D
Very well done Shaan... :)

Thanks Naveen and Sadik. :)

Wow that really looks amazing. Looks like finally it's complete, is it? I remember you mentioning this about a year ago.

Speakers looking neat.

MaSh

Thanks.

Yes finally the FR bookshelves are complete. I was thinking of a front cover for them some time ago, but in the last 14 months of living with front-naked drivers I have gotten used to their visual explicité. :p:D

Now, time to put some sunmica over the subwoofers before I get used to their bare skin too much! I'm going for brown matte finish. Binding posts also procured. Will update once done. ;)

Noob question, Shaan --- will the plug add to the weight of the moving mass of the driver? Or it's not moving at all? And is the change in directivity/dispersion due to the shape of the plug and its position?

Noob question, Shaan --- will the plug add to the weight of the moving mass of the driver? Or it's not moving at all? And is the change in directivity/dispersion due to the shape of the plug and its position?

Ans. 1 - No. The plug is affixed to the pole piece and is not touching the cone/voicecoil.

Ans. 2 - Yes. HF radiated from the whizzer cone bounces off the plug's suface and radiates in a wider angle.

These are Boston Acoustics FRs and does have awful beaming at HF due to the whizzer plus the peak at 6KHz as previously mentioned due to the air pocket under the dust cap. With the two plugs installed, both effects have vanished! Detailed updates in my next post. :)

While doing my personal research (internet search) on FRs, I also came across this whizzer cone issue. This is what kept me away from getting a pair of FRs with whizzers. Thanks for enlighting.

Last edited:
While doing my personal research (internet search) on FRs, I also came across this whizzer cone issue. This is what kept me away from getting a pair of FRs with whizzers. Thanks for enlighting.

Glad I could help. I'm not so sure I was "enlighting" the same research issue you have with whizzers, however.

The HF response of these drivers simply can not be as good without using whizzers, although it is obvious that overall efficiency of the driver will decrease due to the whizzer's added weight. The response is so good that it needs no tweeter at all. Now, by the laws of physics, something has to be traded off for any driver that gives such awesome performance. Without whizzer it is usually money, and with whizzers it's usually dispersion.

Now, as a DIYer the latter is more welcome to me as I know how to deal with the beaming. ;)

Cheers.

Last edited:
All boxes braced internally and stuffed with polyfill (IME trickiest parts of the whole project). FR box walls internally lined with coir fiber on rubber base
Hey Shaan.....lately I started to understand stuffing the box is also one of the most important steps. By any chance, did you measure any impedance etc to decide how much to stuff?? And what's the need of a rubber base and coir fiber ? ....I mean, can you share any tips or general suggestions on stuffing please..... Any old pics if you have, they will greatly help too....:)

Hey Shaan.....lately I started to understand stuffing the box is also one of the most important steps. By any chance, did you measure any impedance etc to decide how much to stuff?? And what's the need of a rubber base and coir fiber ? ....I mean, can you share any tips or general suggestions on stuffing please..... Any old pics if you have, they will greatly help too....:)

+1

Would be of great help if you share some tips. I was thinking of putting betumen sheet inside my upcoming sealed subs and stuffing the same with something like this:

https://diyaudiocart.com/DAC-Polyfill-Speaker-Cabinet-Sound-Damping-450-GSM-Sheet?search=Fill

I've checked the matress manufacturer shops at Chandni and found similar (looking) sheets. I have no idea about the acoustic properties of those sheets (at Chandni)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back