SEAL

The HF response of these drivers simply can not be as good without using whizzers, although it is obvious that overall efficiency of the driver will decrease due to the whizzer's added weight. The response is so good that it needs no tweeter at all. Now, by the laws of physics, something has to be traded off for any driver that gives such awesome performance. Without whizzer it is usually money, and with whizzers it's usually dispersion.

There are so many contradicting theories I've come across regarding Whizzer cones. To be honest, I'm not technically sound to understand the radiation patterns for Whizzer/phase plugs etc. But just to avoid confusion I finally purchased some FRs without whizzer or phase plugs. I'm sure they will behave better with phase plugs.

Hey Shaan.....lately I started to understand stuffing the box is also one of the most important steps. By any chance, did you measure any impedance etc to decide how much to stuff?? And what's the need of a rubber base and coir fiber ? ....I mean, can you share any tips or general suggestions on stuffing please..... Any old pics if you have, they will greatly help too....:)

The amount of stuffing was solely chosen by ear. I looked for two things to notice and avoid, "boxyness" when more stuffing is needed and "thinness" when overstuffed. It was done in multiple steps and took about a week iirc. Using t-nuts paid off greatly as in the later stages the differences became subtle and longer listenings were necessary to decide whether it needs more or less stuffing.

The rubber base coir fiber was placed as a stiffer secondary absorbent. I think they worked well to kill the wall resonances too, as they were affixed to the wall with rubber gum.

There are so many contradicting theories I've come across regarding Whizzer cones. To be honest, I'm not technically sound to understand the radiation patterns for Whizzer/phase plugs etc. But just to avoid confusion I finally purchased some FRs without whizzer or phase plugs. I'm sure they will behave better with phase plugs.

I'm sure they will. No theories, contradiction or confusion there, only reality. ;)

The amount of stuffing was solely chosen by ear. I looked for two things to notice and avoid, "boxyness" when more stuffing is needed and "thinness" when overstuffed. It was done in multiple steps and took about a week iirc. Using t-nuts paid off greatly as in the later stages the differences became subtle and longer listenings were necessary to decide whether it needs more or less stuffing.

The rubber base coir fiber was placed as a stiffer secondary absorbent. I think they worked well to kill the wall resonances too, as they were affixed to the wall with rubber gum.
thank you Shaan ... just to add, rubber base coir fiber is something similar that we find in doormats ??

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back