Second Subwoofer in my case

• Positive/Big Difference

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No/Negligible/Negative Difference

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

filmguy

hi all

my current setup is a denon 1300 avr, polk rtia3 fronts, sub is a klipsch rw12. room is about 220 sq ft. while it sounds good for music, do feel that some movie scenes seem to miss that punch. was wondering if it would help adding a second sub?

from reviews have narrowed down to a rythmik LV12 or a svs pb1000.

i know its difficult to predict if 2 subs from different manufacturers will match. i have read many threads on forums with differing opinions but i dont know if most of the people who may have had success with it had the allowance to move things around in their room to get the calibration correct. i dont have much leeway in placing the 2nd sub.

attaching a picture of my room layout - position 1 is where the current sub (klipsch rw12) is placed. at the time of setup i had done a room crawl & luckily that was 1 of the better positions to place it. now the only options i have left to place the 2nd subwoofer are where i have marked (2, 3 or 4).

the klipsch is rated to go down to 21hz; will the additional 2hz, that the LV12 is rated for, help? since my AVR doesn't have sub eq, what are the chances that the 2 different make subs match or will it just lead to a muddy performance, one spoiling the sound of the other?

thanks

Attachments

• room layout_subs.png
    room layout_subs.png
    503.2 KB · Views: 29
Hi

It is possible that 2 different subs may cause some kind of muddiness in output rather than smoothness.....

Given the size of the room and layout, you need to look a sub which can blend well with your speakers and not shy away or be too loud......subs are meant to provide the missing low frequencies in the audio spectrum....some may want to rattle the place and keep many subs or have big subs to get bassy effects....some like to have a balanced sound....

I would possibly look at the SVS pb1000....since it is out of my reach from a budget perspective, BIC America PL 200ii does a fine job for movies and music......you should audition if possible before sealing any deal any where....

Visit ProAudioHome and meet Sagar.....

my current setup is a denon 1300 avr, polk rtia3 fronts, sub is a klipsch rw12. room is about 220 sq ft. while it sounds good for music, do feel that some movie scenes seem to miss that punch. was wondering if it would help adding a second sub?

Yes, you should benefit from adding a 2nd identical sun preferably, which will help you get more output (+3dB) ans smoother response in your listening position..

I see you have one sub to the left of your listening position.. If you can add an other sub towards your right of your listening position, would be good..

Before buying a 2nd sub, try placing the first sub in between the first two listening position.. Between the two induvidual sofa's..

the klipsch is rated to go down to 21hz; will the additional 2hz, that the LV12 is rated for, help?

Though lowest response in a room is good, smoothest response is better..

since my AVR doesn't have sub eq, what are the chances that the 2 different make subs match or will it just lead to a muddy performance, one spoiling the sound of the other?

I have read that Audyssey Multi EQ XT is capable of one sub, you can still use two subs with a Y adaptor on one of the subwoofer -out..

If you will have subs equidistant from your listening position, then this might work.. Also 2 different subs may not muddy the performance... Freq response may differ, and hence identical ones are recommended..

Yes, you should benefit from adding a 2nd identical sun preferably, which will help you get more output (+3dB) ans smoother response in your listening position..
Won't have budget to buy 2 more subs. Already stretching it with the 1

I see you have one sub to the left of your listening position.. If you can add an other sub towards your right of your listening position, would be good..

It's left & bit behind of MLP to be precise (equivalent of 7 o'clock). The other options are left & beside (9 o'clock) or left & ahead (11 o'clock). No place on right side unfortunately.

Before buying a 2nd sub, try placing the first sub in between the first two listening position.. Between the two induvidual sofa's..

Will give that a try.

Also 2 different subs may not muddy the performance... Freq response may differ, and hence identical ones are recommended..

So if they're different subs it's a good idea to not go for the second sub & just stick to the klipsch?

Won't have budget to buy 2 more subs. Already stretching it with the 1

I meant to use 2 Klipsch subs only in your room..

It's left & bit behind of MLP to be precise (equivalent of 7 o'clock). The other options are left & beside (9 o'clock) or left & ahead (11 o'clock). No place on right side unfortunately.

Will give that a try.

Try the single sub re-position and check..

So if they're different subs it's a good idea to not go for the second sub & just stick to the klipsch?

It is still fine to go for a different 2nd sub (stronger sub).. When Audyssey applies EQ to sub, it is said to measure both and apply the EQ of the weakest sub to the strongest sub.. I have read abt this..

If they are identical, then the response will be same and EQ will be the same.. Hence the benefit..

Check flipping the phase knob on the sub. Sometimes, that can be out of phase and sound limpy.

hi all

i know its difficult to predict if 2 subs from different manufacturers will match. i have read many threads on forums with differing opinions but i dont know if most of the people who may have had success with it had the allowance to move things around in their room to get the calibration correct. i dont have much leeway in placing the 2nd sub.

thanks

What you are lacking in the sound? is it BASS (LFE) is missing or punch is missing. Floorstanders will be a better option which will have better punch.

If bass is missing ,you can add second SUB , Else audition some Floorstander speakers and check you have enough punch.

Going with same brand second sub would be better...or at least check for similar configuration for second sub.

Before purchasing second sub ,
As per your picture you placed your sub near left wall ?.
Have you tried placing the sub in the fronts?. Try placing your Sub closure to the corners ( not too close ,which will boom) .

Whats your first sub configuration ?.
Try setting sp-distance of sub +2 in AVR than front speakers , db-level +1 or +2 than front speakers and check whether its improved.

Last edited:
Hi film guy,

In my humble opinion, it won't be easy to integrate 2 subs into a system, if your avr doesnt offer 2 sub eq.

From my experience, setting up one sub without any eq for my stereo setup was difficult enough. So it won't be easy.

First, the main speakers and sub have to be at the same distance from listening position. Or the sound from both will be out of phase. Avr's correct this. Though you could theoretically overcome this with a sub that gives continuous 180 degrees phase control, instead of just one single switch to alter phase by a complete 180 degrees.

Second is time alignment. If the speakers and sub are not at the same distance again, there will be a delay in sound reception at listening position. Avr's implement time delay to align all speakers and sub for accurate timing.

Third, volume control. They dail in the right volume, to blend the sub with the main speakers.

Fourth, room correction of bass spikes.

You can achieve points 1&2 by adjusting the subs distance from your listening position vis a vis main speaker distance. However, point 3&4 have to be done by ear. If the sub you are considering has parametric eq then it can help.

However , considering the faff and effort involved. I would advise to go for a single better quality sub if the present one is not cutting it for you. Or still better will be to upgrade to a avr with dual sub EQ. Much like most of the marantz's multi eq32xt

All the best.

I would highly recommend you to audition both. recently, I went through the process of deciding between SVS and Rythmik, but I ended up with the later. I went for a LVX12 though for a bit more oomph (and hopefully not having to buy a second sub for now). I used the Audyssey multi eq32xt on my Denon to dial it all in and the entire system sounds amazing. There are a few reference clips from Dolby for Atmos, which I used for testing the system.

Back