selecting amp and speakers

gnanasekhar

First of all I wish you all. I am new to this wonderful forum and this is my first post. I am very much interested in setting up a stereo set up and my budget is 1.2l (for Amp&Spr).
Mostly listen to CHORAL MUSIC, Boy bands, ABBA (mostly group performance than solos). My room size is 17x11x10 (feet). My preferences are:

AMPs
1.Nadc372, 2.Arcom fmja28, 3.Cyrus 8vs2,
Spkrs.
Dali Icon6, Quad 22l2, Proac 130,
Please guide me with your valuable suggestions

AMPs
1.Nadc372, 2.Arcom fmja28, 3.Cyrus 8vs2,
Spkrs.
Dali Icon6, Quad 22l2, Proac 130,

Boy, good selection of amps and speakers there. Don't know why you didn't include CA, Marantaz for amp, and MA RX6, MS Mezzo series for speakers ?

Anyway, from your list, I'd sway more towards Cyrus+ProAc.

:)

Hey, I am living in Nagercoil and my nearest place for audition is Chennai only (nearly 800KMs). Hence auditioning is a very difficult task for me. I have to rely on your valuable opinions. Hence be kind enough to give your support to me. Now, I want your suggestions in the following:
Speaker for Arcom fmj a28
amp for dali icon 6 and Mordaunt short mezzo 6 and QUAD 22L2
what about the Quad 22l2 with Arcom Fmj a28
Please let me know how much I can pay for a 1 year old Quad 22l2 and a Proac 130.
Thank you,

Buddy...

NAD & ARCAM both are good for amplification...
What Source are you lookin in for...which dedicated CDP..??

I think both NAD & ARCAM have CDPs as well...

But, i will suggest you look in at the Myryad as well.. Though the amplifiers are quiet costly but they are VFM as per the quality is concerned..
You can look in for Myryad MI, one of the Superb product, with Integrated CDP...

Then if you can travel to Bangalore, you can even demo the Ushers X-718 or Be-718...They are really great...

Other wise, if you want to select from your selection only...then i will prefer you go in for the NAD with ProAc...

Avoid Dali-IKON-6...

1. Speaker for Arcom fmj a28
2. amp for dali icon 6 and Mordaunt short mezzo 6 and QUAD 22L2
3. what about the Quad 22l2 with Arcom Fmj a28
4. Please let me know how much I can pay for a 1 year old Quad 22l2 and a Proac 130.

Some answers:

1. Best speaker for Arcam FMJ A28 would be Monitor Audio RX6 - excellent synergy.
2. Again, Arcam A28 goes well with Ikon 6 too. For Mezzo 6, CA 650A could go really well.
3. Don't know how 22L2 could go with A28, but many members here have the said speaker with matching Quad amp.
5. Can't really help on the price front, pal.

:)

Hi

Welcome aboard. I've been on extensive of amp for the past couple of months. The best setup I've heard is a Music Hall A25.2, with Epos Bookshelves.

We have later shifted to Dynaudio 72s which were more refined and has a much blacker background but the Epos - Music Hall combo was very very musical.

I've not yet decided as I've some more auditions to take i.e. some Tube Amps.

All the best for your quest.

I am looking for a pre owned cyrus 8vs2 amp. Is there anybody having any idea?
How much I can pay for 1 year old Proac 130

Thanks a lot for your advices so far. Anybody have an idea about Harman Kardon HK3490 amps?
The Revel speakers also comes under Harman Kardon, got some good reviews of Revel Concerto F 12 speakers also. I need your opinions and pl. help

I think you are getting very confused with the class of products you are looking at.

At first the HK 3490 is a receiver, not just an amplifier. Compared to this Cyrus and Arcam makes serious amplifiers that are in a class of their own. NAD would come somewhere in between.

Rs.1.2 lakhs is serious money, and I would strongly suggest that your travel to Chennai/Bangalore for a weekend to audition some short listed products.

Cheers

Hello,

Need help at choosing an amp!

Present set up:

Polk TSi 300-Floor standing (150 rms) 8 ohm
Psw 110-Sub-(200 rms) 8 ohm
Nsp 60- Sats and center (180 rms) 6 ohm

RX V 363- 100 rms/channel 6 ohm

65% Music 35 % movies

Currently The sound is great but the amp gets really hot and have to play at almost 60 to 75 % volume in room size of 12ft X 20ft.

Was keen to pick up Onkyo TX SR 577 @ 29k 160 rms/channel.(amp budget 30K)

Would this be a good choice,pls help.

Cheers!

some of us may have heard the HArman kardon but not exactly the combination you are talking about
its a fair stereo recievr and not an integrated amplifier

it offers advantages since it has pre out for the sub and has an inbuilt tuner and offers digital inputs and video connectivity ( basically a 2 channel AVR)
the disadvantage if any could be that it doesnt pack the power/feel of an integratred amp- thats your judgement when you hear it

if you like it buy it

You need to first decide whether you want an integrated amp or a stereo receiver
the former is only for music the latter will well give you tuner and video connectivity if youre looking for it

I need a integrated amp only. Does anybody know about arcam diva a85 and a90 amps. I think it is discontinued does anybody have one for sales?

Hello,

Need help at choosing an amp!

Present set up:

Polk TSi 300-Floor standing (150 rms) 8 ohm
Psw 110-Sub-(200 rms) 8 ohm
Nsp 60- Sats and center (180 rms) 6 ohm

RX V 363- 100 rms/channel 6 ohm

65% Music 35 % movies

Currently The sound is great but the amp gets really hot and have to play at almost 60 to 75 % volume in room size of 12ft X 20ft.

Was keen to pick up Onkyo TX SR 577 @ 29k 160 rms/channel.(amp budget 30K)

Would this be a good choice,pls help.

Cheers!

Onkyo TX SR 577 (all 5 series) are crispy and very good for music .Tests suggested that they doesnt reach anything like its rated power, and there are odd anomalies in the power of 5-channel compared to 2-channel performance. I use 576 series with Wharfedale speakers. It gives very good sterio output on front towers but the problem is when you play Movies . You have to pump the amplifier hard and after an hour and two the Amp becomes very hot and one may fear that it will melt. I did not run the amp for more than 2 Hr run because of this. I read in reviews this is the problem with all 5 series. I suggest you to opt for Denon, Marantz or HK receivers as Onkyo"s rate their amps high to their actual power and I also feel that they compromise on their quality to put the price down.

Regards

suggest you include Usher X-718 Bookshelf (about 60k)and Dynaudio Xcite 12 to Speaker list. Both have got very rave reviews. Xcite 12 was recently featured in stereophile website. I wish i had a budget of 1L for a stereo setup...

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

Would the upgrade from RX V 363, 100 rms/ channel (5.1) to TX SR 577,160 rms/ channel (7.1) make a difference in the volume levels.

Cheers!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back