Setting up a new Home Theater System (Dolby Atmos 7.1.4)

This is a small screen. For your room you should go for a min. 120 inch to a 150inch size. Ideally fixed screen rather than motorized unless you plan a TV behind the screen.

Yes I was also thinking that the screen is small. Let me research larger screens. I was going for a motorized screen since the wall behind the screen has windows and we may need to open them once in a while :D

10 lakhs would be exclusively for the speakers, projector, projector screen and wiring. I can go upto 15 lakhs also, if it is worth it.

That's great. .
For dedicated HT get speakers meant to be placed behind screen.

Below is what I would have done.
Projector Epson tw-8300 ( pixel shift)
Reason for selection- price, only being 4k is not sufficient. Other aspects also matters.
Just an update guys, I had asked for a quote from Avenue Sound after he did a site visit (as suggested above by someone), and they came back with the following:

1) Receiver - AudioControl CONCERT AVR-7
2) Screen - Screen Innovations (SI) Solo Pro - SPT100PW
3) Projector - Sony VPL-VW260ES
4) Subwoofer - James Loudspeaker QX1020
5) Speakers - James Loudspeaker QX330 (Qty - Four) and James Loudspeaker QX630 (Qty - Three)
6) Atmos Speakers - James Loudspeaker SXC420R (Qty - Four)
7) Wiring - 100m of Monoprice 12AWG Wire, 3m of Tributaries UHD-010B HDMI Wire and 15m of Tributaries UHDX-15

This is for a 7.2.4 setup, Total cost is approx 16L without GST. Now the issue is I have not heard of these companies when I research online. I usually come across Denon, Yamaha, Epson etc.

Do you guys think I should continue with the above, or search for other quotes and build my HT manually?

Driving 4ohm load speakers with an AVR is a very bad decision.

That's great. .
For dedicated HT get speakers meant to be placed behind screen.

Below is what I would have done.
Projector Epson tw-8300 ( pixel shift)
Reason for selection- price, only being 4k is not sufficient. Other aspects also matters.

Driving 4ohm load speakers with an AVR is a very bad decision.

Okay I will look into speakers that are placed behind the screen.
Ya I am looking into projectors that upscale. I can only get entry level 4K projectors within my budget.
I am sorry I dont understand the last line - Driving 4ohm load speakers with an AVR is a very bad decision.

Okay I will look into speakers that are placed behind the screen.
Ya I am looking into projectors that upscale. I can only get entry level 4K projectors within my budget.
I am sorry I dont understand the last line - Driving 4ohm load speakers with an AVR is a very bad decision.

In typical home setups, one avoids 4 ohm speakers with AVRs.
But this setup seems to be a professional setup; so they must know what they are capable of.
L/C/R speakers are 94dB (good sensitivity). They should play at reference levels easily.

Connect with FM @liverpool_for_life
He has some funky stuff in his HT.

BTW, when you are committing large monies, you should do more due diligence.
Don't hurry. Scout on your own as well.
Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Do consider JVC projectors as well. It is indeed twice expensive compared to US. But, they do have the best black level. Also, instead of AVR, you could go for AV processor and separate amps. NAD or Marrantz are quite good.

You have a very good room. You need to also look at the theater as a whole, not just equipment. That includes - screen size, seating location (1 row, 2 rows?) where speakers will be placed to give best acoustic response, accoustic treatments, room light control etc. Heck, I would even think where to locate the equipment rack. If you have a very good light control, keep in mind, even the tiny red LED's on the equipment will wash out the picture contrast/black level.

Think from all these angles and plan, plan, plan. Don't rush. Its better to plan ahead, than repenting later.

Just an update guys, I had asked for a quote from Avenue Sound after he did a site visit (as suggested above by someone), and they came back with the following:

1) Receiver - AudioControl CONCERT AVR-7
2) Screen - Screen Innovations (SI) Solo Pro - SPT100PW
3) Projector - Sony VPL-VW260ES
4) Subwoofer - James Loudspeaker QX1020
5) Speakers - James Loudspeaker QX330 (Qty - Four) and James Loudspeaker QX630 (Qty - Three)
6) Atmos Speakers - James Loudspeaker SXC420R (Qty - Four)
7) Wiring - 100m of Monoprice 12AWG Wire, 3m of Tributaries UHD-010B HDMI Wire and 15m of Tributaries UHDX-15

This is for a 7.2.4 setup, Total cost is approx 16L without GST. Now the issue is I have not heard of these companies when I research online. I usually come across Denon, Yamaha, Epson etc.

Do you guys think I should continue with the above, or search for other quotes and build my HT manually?
All these speakers are shallow depth.. generally used in space constraint spaces .
As you have a dedicated room.. And its pretty big. You don't have any space issues.
So I guess you are unnecessary paying premium for these speakers.
And such big budget and not using power amp isn't wise.
I know the speakers are sensitive but still rated at 4 ohms means you need a power amp which can provide clean power at 4 ohms.
When using AVR with these speakers (7 speakers rated at 4 ohms will put a lot of load on AVR)

In typical home setups, one avoids 4 ohm speakers with AVRs.
But this setup seems to be a professional setup; so they must know what they are capable of.
L/C/R speakers are 94dB (good sensitivity). They should play at reference levels easily.

Connect with FM @liverpool_for_life
He has some funky stuff in his HT.

BTW, when you are committing large monies, you should do more due diligence.
Don't hurry. Scout on your own as well.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thank you Raghu! I will be sure to to a detailed search and post my final setup here before purchasing! :)

Do consider JVC projectors as well. It is indeed twice expensive compared to US. But, they do have the best black level. Also, instead of AVR, you could go for AV processor and separate amps. NAD or Marrantz are quite good.

Okay I will look into this. Thanks!

You have a very good room. You need to also look at the theater as a whole, not just equipment. That includes - screen size, seating location (1 row, 2 rows?) where speakers will be placed to give best acoustic response, accoustic treatments, room light control etc. Heck, I would even think where to locate the equipment rack. If you have a very good light control, keep in mind, even the tiny red LED's on the equipment will wash out the picture contrast/black level.

Think from all these angles and plan, plan, plan. Don't rush. Its better to plan ahead, than repenting later.

Yes I am looking into these factors.
Screen size - Approx 130 inches diagnoally
Seating location - 13-15 feet from the screen (1 row fixed and the rest moveable via bean bags, etc)
Speaker placement - As per Dolby - https://www.dolby.com/in/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7-1-4-setups.html
Equipment rack - Below the screen (protected by black glass so no LED's can be seen)

Thank you! I will be sure to plan in depth.

All these speakers are shallow depth.. generally used in space constraint spaces .
As you have a dedicated room.. And its pretty big. You don't have any space issues.
So I guess you are unnecessary paying premium for these speakers.
And such big budget and not using power amp isn't wise.
I know the speakers are sensitive but still rated at 4 ohms means you need a power amp which can provide clean power at 4 ohms.
When using AVR with these speakers (7 speakers rated at 4 ohms will put a lot of load on AVR)

Oh I see. I had not considered the power factor as of now. I will surely look into it also. Thank you very much.

This is what I would have got.( Prices are approximate) it should be 7.2.4 or 7.4.4
Below is for 7.2.4
Projector Epson tw-8300-2 lakhs
Screen size minimum 150 inch ( acoustically transparent) prices vary.
Av processor - marantz or anthem 2.5-3 lakhs.

Speakers
Qsc sc 1150 LCR (45000 each)
Qsc surrounds and ceiling speakers ( 20-25k each)
Qsc DCA 1644 amplifier ( 4 channel amplifier) 75k each- will need 3 power amps

Subwoofers
Two -Qsc sb 7118 (70k each)- with 2 channel power amp qsc DCA 2422 (70k) for the subwoofers.

The above will cost you around 13-14 lakhs.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just discovered this forum and am happy to have found a good discussion place for HT setups in India.
We are planning to create a dedicated Home Theater room in our new house in Mumbai.
I have been researching for some time on this topic. However, there is a lot of information on this, hence I need some help narrowing it down.

Room Size : 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft
Visual : Planning to go for a projector ( Native 4k projectors are very expensive, I was planning to get a 1080p projector)
Receiver : A good 11 channel receiver as per my understanding
Player : I own a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and I am planning to buy a Blu-Ray player
Speaker : Planning to go for a 7.1.4 setup
Sound Management : The room is going to be managed for acoustics and sound proofing by my sound engineer

My Expectations
1. I would be using the room for Movies, Gaming and Music (33% each)
2. Budget is not an issue, I am planning for ~10 lakhs and willing to go up if needed.

My Questions

1) What are the options for me to watch 4K content? Streaming 4K (On Netflix, Amazon Prime, Etc) via Amazon Firestick/ Apple TV is difficult as per my understanding since the internet connections are not that strong. Also streaming does not provide true Atmos sound quality, as per my research. So is my only option to buy 4K BluRay CD's and play them on my BluRay player?
2) What about DTH Services like TataSky 4K? Do they actually provide 4K content?
3) Should I spend a lot on a native 4K projector or go for the one that is native 1080p but upscales it to 4K?
4) I read that HDMI cables that are more than 15 feet long start having issues in 4K. So do I need HDMI over fiber (I am assuming the distance from the projector to the receiver is >15 feet)
5) Speakers - My understanding is there are Floor Standing, Bookshelf, In Wall and On/In Ceiling speakers, with Floor standing being the best in sound quality. I was thinking Floor standing speakers for the front left and right, a center channel speaker below the projector, bookshelf speakers for surround and in ceiling speakers for Atmos. Is that correct?
6) I am planning for one row of fixed seating somewhere in the center of the room (this is the best placement as per my research, right next to the left and right surround sound speakers), and the rest of the seating would be movable via bean bags, etc. Is that optimal?
7) What should be the size of the projector screen? I was thinking 110 inches diagonally.
8) Is there any other component/ aspect that I am missing? I would gladly research on that too.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Divyam

If budget is not a constraint ,then go for a Pre/Pro combo . Based on ur room size and requirement ,IMHO better get a 11 channel Processor from either Anthem or Marantz or Yamaha or similar equivalent brands.Add some good multichannel amplifier ,It will be comparativelty better than AVR setup .(Ofcourse the budget will be on higher side.)
Go for dual subs (minimum) .
Native 4k pj will be costly starts from around 4 L .(JVC or Sony will be good in this category)
U can also check 4kupscaling pj from JVC or Epson or Optoma.

If budget is not a constraint ,then go for a Pre/Pro combo . Based on ur room size and requirement ,IMHO better get a 11 channel Processor from either Anthem or Marantz or Yamaha or similar equivalent brands.Add some good multichannel amplifier ,It will be comparativelty better than AVR setup .(Ofcourse the budget will be on higher side.)
Go for dual subs (minimum) .
Native 4k pj will be costly starts from around 4 L .(JVC or Sony will be good in this category)
U can also check 4kupscaling pj from JVC or Epson or Optoma.
Benq has launched native 4k under 3 lakhs

Investing more on 4K projector is not right for now.we don't have much content available. IMO
All Hollywood movies are coming in 4k.
Upscaling of 1080p content to 4k makes difference.
But yeah.. a good 1080p projector will give better results than a basic 4k projector.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back