Setting up a new Home Theater System (Dolby Atmos 7.1.4)

Divyam

Hi all,

I just discovered this forum and am happy to have found a good discussion place for HT setups in India.
We are planning to create a dedicated Home Theater room in our new house in Mumbai.
I have been researching for some time on this topic. However, there is a lot of information on this, hence I need some help narrowing it down.

Room Size : 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft
Visual : Planning to go for a projector ( Native 4k projectors are very expensive, I was planning to get a 1080p projector)
Receiver : A good 11 channel receiver as per my understanding
Player : I own a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and I am planning to buy a Blu-Ray player
Speaker : Planning to go for a 7.1.4 setup
Sound Management : The room is going to be managed for acoustics and sound proofing by my sound engineer

My Expectations
1. I would be using the room for Movies, Gaming and Music (33% each)
2. Budget is not an issue, I am planning for ~10 lakhs and willing to go up if needed.

My Questions

1) What are the options for me to watch 4K content? Streaming 4K (On Netflix, Amazon Prime, Etc) via Amazon Firestick/ Apple TV is difficult as per my understanding since the internet connections are not that strong. Also streaming does not provide true Atmos sound quality, as per my research. So is my only option to buy 4K BluRay CD's and play them on my BluRay player?
2) What about DTH Services like TataSky 4K? Do they actually provide 4K content?
3) Should I spend a lot on a native 4K projector or go for the one that is native 1080p but upscales it to 4K?
4) I read that HDMI cables that are more than 15 feet long start having issues in 4K. So do I need HDMI over fiber (I am assuming the distance from the projector to the receiver is >15 feet)
5) Speakers - My understanding is there are Floor Standing, Bookshelf, In Wall and On/In Ceiling speakers, with Floor standing being the best in sound quality. I was thinking Floor standing speakers for the front left and right, a center channel speaker below the projector, bookshelf speakers for surround and in ceiling speakers for Atmos. Is that correct?
6) I am planning for one row of fixed seating somewhere in the center of the room (this is the best placement as per my research, right next to the left and right surround sound speakers), and the rest of the seating would be movable via bean bags, etc. Is that optimal?
7) What should be the size of the projector screen? I was thinking 110 inches diagonally.
8) Is there any other component/ aspect that I am missing? I would gladly research on that too.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Divyam

Hi divyam ....good evening and welcome to the forum.

Considering the big sized room you have, you can go for a 7.2.4 system. That is basically 2 identical sub woofers.

Since you are still getting your room ready. Below I feel are the important things to get correct first :

1. Power lines and power points - Please consider getting direct indipendent lines from the mains to your kit. Seperate lines for TV and projector. Seperate line for sources like uhd player and pre amp. And one seperate line for Poweramps.

2. Get a ethernet line rigged to the location where you will have your TV and digital sources. And if possible, one line to the location where you want to mount your projector.

3. Figure out where your inceiling Atmos speakers will be fixed and run speaker cables through your ceiling before hand.

4. Since you intend to have a single row of seating, subs would be ideal placed on either sides of the sofa. If this is possible, please run subwoofer cabling under the flooring to these points, including power lines and points to your subwoofer location.

5. Native 4k projector is always better than an upsampling full HD projector, if you can stretch your budget a bit.

6. Since you have considerable viewing depth, nothing beats a wall with picture end to end. There are special wall paints, which though don't perform at the level of dedicated screens, but will make up with a life size image.

7. A budget of 10L is a really good one to work with. So with a little advance planning, you can build a great HT system. All the best

Hi newlash09. Thank you for the detailed reply.

I will look into a 7.2.4 setup also.

1. Power lines and power points - Please consider getting direct indipendent lines from the mains to your kit. Seperate lines for TV and projector. Seperate line for sources like uhd player and pre amp. And one seperate line for Poweramps.
- I have done this already. Could you please explain what is a pre amp and a poweramp?

2. Get a ethernet line rigged to the location where you will have your TV and digital sources. And if possible, one line to the location where you want to mount your projector.
- I have done this already! Do I need an ethernet line for the projector also? What would be the use of this?

3. Figure out where your inceiling Atmos speakers will be fixed and run speaker cables through your ceiling before hand.
- Yes I will do this. Do we have standard speaker cables? I was reading up a bit and they seemed to vary from 12 Gauge to 18 Gauge. Which one would you suggest?

4. Since you intend to have a single row of seating, subs would be ideal placed on either sides of the sofa. If this is possible, please run subwoofer cabling under the flooring to these points, including power lines and points to your subwoofer location.
- Okay, I was under the impression that the subwoofers are kept under the projector screen (I have seen that in most of the pictures). So you are saying that I should keep the subwoofers near the side speakers?

5. Native 4k projector is always better than an upsampling full HD projector, if you can stretch your budget a bit.
- Okay, let me look into the budget requirements for this. I will update.

6. Since you have considerable viewing depth, nothing beats a wall with picture end to end. There are special wall paints, which though don't perform at the level of dedicated screens, but will make up with a life size image.
- Thats a good idea! But the issue is the wall behind the screen has windows, so I would need to put curtains and hence will need to use a screen itself.

With this budget, please explore for a possibility of getting AV processor from Theta Digital.

With such a healthy budget and independent HT room, it's better to consult professional acoustics and audio consultant. They can give you best of your budget with long term satisfying results. They will charge but your money will be wisely invested without frequent upgradation and future plan can be incorporated at the design phase only.

With such a healthy budget and independent HT room, it's better to consult professional acoustics and audio consultant. They can give you best of your budget with long term satisfying results. They will charge but your money will be wisely invested without frequent upgradation and future plan can be incorporated at the design phase only.
Could you help me with a contact of some reliable person in mumbai? I had taken advice from a few people, but wasn't satisfied with their offerings.

If you are in Mumbai you have lots of options to explore. The Den-Worli, Alliance 4- Andheri(W), Avanue sound- camps corner are some of the professional. You may use Google for more options. I thing important before visiting then , do your homework about different options so that you can explore more options then suggested one.

2. Budget is not an issue, I am planning for ~10 lakhs and willing to go up if needed.

When you have the budget why settle for only 11 channels.. Go 15 channels.. Denon X 8500 H, capable of upto 9.2.6.. 9 bed speakers and 6 over heads..

1) What are the options for me to watch 4K content? Streaming 4K (On Netflix, Amazon Prime, Etc) via Amazon Firestick/ Apple TV is difficult as per my understanding since the internet connections are not that strong. Also streaming does not provide true Atmos sound quality, as per my research. So is my only option to buy 4K BluRay CD's and play them on my BluRay player?
2) What about DTH Services like TataSky 4K? Do they actually provide 4K content?
4) I read that HDMI cables that are more than 15 feet long start having issues in 4K. So do I need HDMI over fiber (I am assuming the distance from the projector to the receiver is >15 feet)

Sorry, no inputs here on 4K.. 4K is a little too early to experience in India..

3) Should I spend a lot on a native 4K projector or go for the one that is native 1080p but upscales it to 4K?

Native 1080p will be the best IMO atleast for sometime.. To experience both new movies as well as older movies in 1080p..

5) Speakers - My understanding is there are Floor Standing, Bookshelf, In Wall and On/In Ceiling speakers, with Floor standing being the best in sound quality. I was thinking Floor standing speakers for the front left and right, a center channel speaker below the projector, bookshelf speakers for surround and in ceiling speakers for Atmos. Is that correct?

Best would be to use identical speakers all around the room for a seamless soundstage..

6) I am planning for one row of fixed seating somewhere in the center of the room (this is the best placement as per my research, right next to the left and right surround sound speakers), and the rest of the seating would be movable via bean bags, etc. Is that optimal?

Not sure if center of the room would be a good choice due to effects of room resonance.. But somewhere between the midpoint of the room till the 3/4th of the room would be a good one..

7) What should be the size of the projector screen? I was thinking 110 inches diagonally.

With a 15 feet wide room, you should look at 150 inch diagonal size comfortably or more based on your flexibility..

8) Is there any other component/ aspect that I am missing? I would gladly research on that too.

Acoustic Transparent screen for the projector, which will allow you to place the L-C-R at ear height and may be subwoofers too behind screen..

Hi all,

I just discovered this forum and am happy to have found a good discussion place for HT setups in India.
We are planning to create a dedicated Home Theater room in our new house in Mumbai.
I have been researching for some time on this topic. However, there is a lot of information on this, hence I need some help narrowing it down.

Visual : Planning to go for a projector ( Native 4k projectors are very expensive, I was planning to get a 1080p projector)
Player : I own a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and I am planning to buy a Blu-Ray player
Speaker : Planning to go for a 7.1.4 setup
Sound Management : The room is going to be managed for acoustics and sound proofing by my sound engineer

My Expectations
1. I would be using the room for Movies, Gaming and Music (33% each)

My Questions

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Divyam
Is this budget exclusively for system or includes acoustics etc?

Last edited:
Display - Projector(preferred) - Optoma UHD 65 or Epson 5040UB. If you can get it from US, you will save half the cost. The differences are in the link https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-5040ub-vs-Optoma-UHD65-review.htm.
An OLED screen of 75 inch will cost you the same as a 150 inch screen plus projector.
WIll cost around 2500 USD or 2.5 lakhs in India.
Projector screen - If its a dedicated room, get a fixed screen from Elitescreens or Dalite or liberty grandview. Going for DIY there are lot more options.
Would range from 20k to 50k.

Speakers - Do audition. A lot depends upon personal taste, so hard to suggest anything. Ideally, I would keep 50% of budget for speakers which includes 7.2.4 As you go for more speakers it would reduce the quality of the speakers. you could go for even 4 subs to even out sound and manage all room modes. For subs, do go for identical ones. You can choose from any of the popular subs.

Acoustics - Since your room has multiples you might need to spend on acoustics. Ideally a room in room concept handles it the best. But a professional might help. The link will show the ideal point is outside the bolt area.
https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=21&w=15&h=9&ft=true&r60=0.6

Cables - Do keep around 5% of your budget for the same

Power - Since you are based in Mumbai, would not recommend an online UPS. However a dedicated power line from the board with good quality wires would serve you well.

When you have the budget why settle for only 11 channels.. Go 15 channels.. Denon X 8500 H, capable of upto 9.2.6.. 9 bed speakers and 6 over heads..

15 channels seems a bit overkill for such a space :D

Sorry, no inputs here on 4K.. 4K is a little too early to experience in India..

No worries!

Native 1080p will be the best IMO atleast for sometime.. To experience both new movies as well as older movies in 1080p..

Okay!

Best would be to use identical speakers all around the room for a seamless soundstage..

Okay!

Not sure if center of the room would be a good choice due to effects of room resonance.. But somewhere between the midpoint of the room till the 3/4th of the room would be a good one..

Yes I was thinking a distance of 13-15 feet from the screen.

With a 15 feet wide room, you should look at 150 inch diagonal size comfortably or more based on your flexibility..

Alright let me check the max screen size that can fit in the room.

Acoustic Transparent screen for the projector, which will allow you to place the L-C-R at ear height and may be subwoofers too behind screen..

Okay let me look into this!

Display - Projector(preferred) - Optoma UHD 65 or Epson 5040UB. If you can get it from US, you will save half the cost. The differences are in the link https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-5040ub-vs-Optoma-UHD65-review.htm.
An OLED screen of 75 inch will cost you the same as a 150 inch screen plus projector.
WIll cost around 2500 USD or 2.5 lakhs in India.
Projector screen - If its a dedicated room, get a fixed screen from Elitescreens or Dalite or liberty grandview. Going for DIY there are lot more options.
Would range from 20k to 50k.

Speakers - Do audition. A lot depends upon personal taste, so hard to suggest anything. Ideally, I would keep 50% of budget for speakers which includes 7.2.4 As you go for more speakers it would reduce the quality of the speakers. you could go for even 4 subs to even out sound and manage all room modes. For subs, do go for identical ones. You can choose from any of the popular subs.

Acoustics - Since your room has multiples you might need to spend on acoustics. Ideally a room in room concept handles it the best. But a professional might help. The link will show the ideal point is outside the bolt area.
https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=21&w=15&h=9&ft=true&r60=0.6

Cables - Do keep around 5% of your budget for the same

Power - Since you are based in Mumbai, would not recommend an online UPS. However a dedicated power line from the board with good quality wires would serve you well.

Oh this is very helpful! Thank you let me look into all of this and get back to you.

Just an update guys, I had asked for a quote from Avenue Sound after he did a site visit (as suggested above by someone), and they came back with the following:

1) Receiver - AudioControl CONCERT AVR-7
2) Screen - Screen Innovations (SI) Solo Pro - SPT100PW
3) Projector - Sony VPL-VW260ES
4) Subwoofer - James Loudspeaker QX1020
5) Speakers - James Loudspeaker QX330 (Qty - Four) and James Loudspeaker QX630 (Qty - Three)
6) Atmos Speakers - James Loudspeaker SXC420R (Qty - Four)
7) Wiring - 100m of Monoprice 12AWG Wire, 3m of Tributaries UHD-010B HDMI Wire and 15m of Tributaries UHDX-15

This is for a 7.2.4 setup, Total cost is approx 16L without GST. Now the issue is I have not heard of these companies when I research online. I usually come across Denon, Yamaha, Epson etc.

Do you guys think I should continue with the above, or search for other quotes and build my HT manually?

The Sony projector is a good option. The rest I havent heard, so I am not sure if they are the best options for the price.

Just an update guys, I had asked for a quote from Avenue Sound after he did a site visit (as suggested above by someone), and they came back with the following:

2) Screen - Screen Innovations (SI) Solo Pro - SPT100PW
This is a small screen. For your room you should go for a min. 120 inch to a 150inch size. Ideally fixed screen rather than motorized unless you plan a TV behind the screen.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back