Setting up a Stereo System - Need help!!

Why don't you buy the rWave and stream music wirelessly?

I dont find anything wrong with the streaming by Airport Express.

I've sold my Sub and the speaker, will take time to buy a new one. Need suggestions on what to buy next. Tentatively decided budget for a pair of speakers is set at 75K - dont know what type to buy though.

After a long gap, have started to look out for what to buy, the hunt begins..

Had been to Chennai recently on work and found the time to audition a few systems, just wanted to share my views

Source used in all the auditioning was my iPhone connected to the Arcam irDAC

First stop, Grand Cinema

Electronics used - ARCAM A19

Speakers paired - 1. Wharfedale 10.7 - After listening to a bookshelf + sub combo paired with a AVR all this while, I was really surprised when music played out of these speakers, the bass was perfect, they all sounded in one place, it left me wondering what went wrong 5 years back when I was auditioning to buy a system then, coming back to the speakers. The sound stage was a bit narrow, the bass was tight, the mids were a bit scrambled, the highs the usual wharfedale laid back.

2. next connected to a Wharfedale 159, the big brother of the 100 series and my goodness, the first thing you notice, where was all the bass coming from, the 2 8" drivers were really pounding, the mids and high blended in really well, sound stage drastically improving over the 10.7's, the amp had to be turned up pretty high to make these sing, but overall they leave you desiring.

3. I asked to connect the Paradigm Studio 60, they were hesitant, but then asked me to judge the speaker for myself, they weren't recommending them. So finally all connected and played, the speaker looks lovely aesthetically, would add as decorative piece in the hall. The first thing I noticed when it sang, it has such a wide sound stage, wow it would fill in any amount of space I believe, but then as it sings, I felt it too bright and my ears kept asking to drop the volume, the bass was tight and detailed, could not go as low as the 159's, the mids would spring up to life and the highs even further, I really felt these speakers would do great justice in a HT environment.

Form the above three, I was definitely thinking of the 159's, more to come... will post later, running out of time here..

Songs played back:-
Rock/Pop - Chiquitita - ABBA, rasputin - BoneyM, Fastcar - Tracy Chapman, Everything She wants - George Michael, Billie Jean - Michael Jackson, It's still Rock n Roll to me - Billy Joel, Better Together - Jack Johnson, Nothing Else Matters - Metallica,
Electronic - You - Eric Prydz, Bird1 - Underworld, Something About Us - Daft Punk, Instant Crush - Daft Punk
Regional - Hai Rama - Rangeela, Telephone Manipol - Indian, Nan Yeen - Coke Studio ARR

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back