Setting up a Stereo System - Need help!!

kanna.sridharan

Hello to all!

I need some help here to decide on how to go about setting up my stereo system. I want to find the best that my budget can find and never repent on it. As I've sold my AVR equipment, DVD Player, Bluray player and the surrounds, retained the Center, Bookshelves and the Sub-woofer. I'm looking for a pure Hi-Fi Stereo setup. I have saved around 70K ~ 80K to spend and looking to buy around middle of March.

My sources would be:-

1. Airport Express (iTunes Streaming) - Outputs - 3.5mm / optical
2. Xtreamer Pro - for movies - Outputs - RCA / optical / coaxial
3. Tata Sky HD - Outputs - RCA / coaxial
4. future plan - PS4 / Xbox One - Outputs - optical

Equipment available:-

Amplifer available - NAD C326BEE (currently using for PC, would require alternative if changed for the main setup)
Speakers available - Wharfedale Dia 9.2, SWF150

My options

1. Buy a DAC (use with NAD & Wharf speakers) + buy budget amp like Norge/DNM for PC audio

2. Buy a good Integrated Amp & retain everything as is - consider DAC & speaker up-gradation at a later stage.

3. Keeps coming to my mind at times - Is there an AVR which is as good as an Int. Amp around my budget (willing to stretch my budget by an additional 20K if needed, as the necessity of a separate DAC would be eliminated)

I want some help on how to proceed - really confused

Check Marantz PM6005 which comes with built-in Co-axial and optical DAC. Then hunt for matching speakers that suits your taste

(PS: I worked in Ramnad for 2 years)

Though I am by no means an expert, I would think that you have a decent amplifier and speaker combo already for a decent Hi fi system. Unless you believe that you do not like their sound at all, you should not look to upgrade these components right now. Perhaps you need to look at a decent DAC if the airport express is going to be your main source. Also keep in mind that unless you have good quality files (lossless and not compressed MP3s) nothing will make them sound right.

I would also experiment with speaker positioning and room acoustics before upgrading because the room set ups for music and movies may be completely different.

In short save money on amplification and speakers right now, find a good source and take it from there.

Hope it helps and best of luck for your endeavor.

Hello to all!

I need some help here to decide on how to go about setting up my stereo system. I want to find the best that my budget can find and never repent on it. As I've sold my AVR equipment, DVD Player, Bluray player and the surrounds, retained the Center, Bookshelves and the Sub-woofer. I'm looking for a pure Hi-Fi Stereo setup. I have saved around 70K ~ 80K to spend and looking to buy around middle of March.

My sources would be:-

1. Airport Express (iTunes Streaming) - Outputs - 3.5mm / optical
2. Xtreamer Pro - for movies - Outputs - RCA / optical / coaxial
3. Tata Sky HD - Outputs - RCA / coaxial
4. future plan - PS4 / Xbox One - Outputs - optical

Equipment available:-

Amplifer available - NAD C326BEE (currently using for PC, would require alternative if changed for the main setup)
Speakers available - Wharfedale Dia 9.2, SWF150

My options

1. Buy a DAC (use with NAD & Wharf speakers) + buy budget amp like Norge/DNM for PC audio

2. Buy a good Integrated Amp & retain everything as is - consider DAC & speaker up-gradation at a later stage.

3. Keeps coming to my mind at times - Is there an AVR which is as good as an Int. Amp around my budget (willing to stretch my budget by an additional 20K if needed, as the necessity of a separate DAC would be eliminated)

I want some help on how to proceed - really confused

There is no doubt that an int amp is way better than AVR any day..... Looks like you have many components which would need a digital connection...

1) You may either look for a standalone DAC which has good connectivity...

2) If you like to remain with 2 channels, then take a look @ Onkyo TX 8050 (Modern Stereo Receiver) which have digital inputs & pre-out for L + R channels and Subwoofer....

3) if you are a casual listener to stereo, then you can consider an AVR....

Why does your present system not satisfy you? What is it that your system is missing which makes you want to upgrade?

Some improvements in sound can be had by changing speaker positioning and room acoustics. Let us know about your taste in music and requirements and also post some photos of your existing setup and room. FMs here will help you get the best out of your system without spending much.

If you are infected with upgraditis, then I suggest hearing systems in your budget first and then deciding.

i think if you spend on upgrading your speakers you would get most bang for your buck

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

As of now I've decided to go on as below,

1). I've ordered a Topping TP-60 to power the CA Minx and use with my computer setup
2). use the NAD 326BEE and Wharf 9.2 + SWF150 for my main setup.

All I need now is a good DAC with a lot of Inputs, atleast 2 optical and 2 coaxial as the RCA output from the Xtreamer Pro or the TATA Sky does not sound good as it was from my earlier CD player. correct me if I'm wrong.

What is your opinion on the Arcam irDAC - it has 2 opt & 2 coax inputs, which just fits me right for all my digital sources. Please share your thoughts.

Thank you & Regards

Rcd my Topping TP60, haven't installed it yet, but the build looks amazing. Pretty fast shipping by Amazon.

I hope its worth every penny spent.

I would also experiment with speaker positioning and room acoustics before upgrading because the room set ups for music and movies may be completely different.
SShln1

Hi Bro,

First let us know what you expect and which is missing in the current set-up. I would say "Upgrade" doesnt mean only adding hi version components to set-up.If you believe or Not Speaker wires, Audio source (Files) and player, Positioning, acoustic treatment also can bring a significant difference with what you have,In case all the above is treated well then can go for upgrade with some budget.

I have used NAD, not anything against NAD but it was warm and i dont like because i like the Hi freq twinkling in music.Then i moved out the NAD and added SANSUI.Later to that added up good cables, later to that Stands and i would say there were some difference in the quality of music my set-up delivered in each step.

So try find out the flaws in current set-up and fix them, if you are not happy then go for new set-up.Just my 2 cents

Hi Bro,
First let us know what you expect and which is missing in the current set-up. I would say "Upgrade" doesnt mean only adding hi version components to set-up.

I was only thinking of whether to upgrade or not initially. My previous main stream setup was an AVR + 5.1 speakers, the NAD was used for my computer setup. Now the NAD is moved to the mainstream, sold the AVR, DVD player, surrounds, center, retained the fronts & sub. bought a topping tp-60 for the computer setup, so the computer part is over.

What my expectations are now for the main setup:-

My sources read from first post, all have analog & digital o/p's and I really don't like the way the analog o/p's sound from them, so will adding a DAC improve the overall quality.

The music which I'm listening is compressed most of them 320 kbps, I haven't stored flac's or lossless formats.
The videos - most of them downloaded from the net, the audio formats are in various forms from ac3, dts, dolby, etc., some movies audio outputs are good enough, some I just get a head ache, the dialogs are just not audible or the sub overplays.
The Tata Sky - I like turning on the amp when I watch those movies on HD.

Somehow I miss the way the AVR handled all of the above, what wanted me to switch to a stereo setup was the way the fronts played when connected to the int. amp, the AVR was no match, even when set to Large speakers.

I just want to clarify, will a DAC really bring out the best from the sources I'm using.

I'm not thinking of changing any components as of now. The acoustics part, I haven't really given it a thought. For cables, RCA's used - DAC, Cambridge audio, speaker wires used - DAC 14AWG terminated with Profigold Banana plugs. the speaker stands I designed and got a stainless steel stand fabricated, which is fill-able, though I haven't filled anything.

Please advice...

Thank you..

One FM is currently selling MF M1DAC, grab it as it is really a good sounding DAC. If you can import DACPort LX so it is another superb DAC to have it and is recommended component of stereophile and is much cheaper than the M1DAC. You can also consider Arcam rDAC.

For your set-up which is on the warm side so my recommendations would:

Centrance DACPort LX (consider it only if you feed it the USD input).
Arcam rDAC
Musicaly Fidelity M1DAC.

For less price to more performance ratio: DACPort wins.

For your set-up which is on the warm side so my recommendations would:

Centrance DACPort LX (consider it only if you feed it the USD input).
Arcam rDAC
Musicaly Fidelity M1DAC.

For less price to more performance ratio: DACPort wins.

Thanks for the suggestion, but my priority is not the USB input, it is the others Coax and the optical. I was really tempted with the M1Dac (which was on sale), but I needed more inputs, which I feel the rDac would serve me perfectly.

Ive confirmed the Arcam irDac with the dealer, expecting it by next Thursday, I hope I wont regret my purchase.

Thank you

Last edited:
Getting the DAC will sort out your issues probably. Ensure that you are using good cables. I was using the stock cables with Tata Sky and the sound was so so. I put in some good MX cable and the sound is way better.

I've acquired the Arcam irDAC and have been using it for the past 2 weeks. This is my first ever DAC and so really not able to differentiate between its better than that. But, its been a big step up adding the DAC inbetween the sources I use. Its only left me quenching for more. So I've decided to take the next step, speaker upgrade is what I'll do.

What would you'll suggest.

Thanks & Rgds

Do you have high quality music files?
Also note that Xtreamer does some processing even when you use optical out. This is evident as you can control the Xtreamer volume even with optical out!

Not much, most of them r 320k mp3's. I noticed that on the xtreamer, I watched a movie and it was good enough, I had the setting to DOLBY(PCM), so does this mean there is some processing in it.

@kanna.sridharan : It seems that you have to rearrange your component, rather than upgrading the existing ones.
From your signature I can see that your stereo has been routed as "Apple Airport -> Arcam irDAC -> NAD C326 -> Wharfedale Dia 9.2 + SWF150" . If you have a PC with "Asus Xonar Essence STX", try to get the optical out from this card and feed it to you irDAC. Also try to use ASIO driver for playing the audio files.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back