SFP, Media Converter, Fiber optic, Copper isolation

bornfi

Subject i basically to ensure that this thread pops up in case somebody is researching in this direction.

This message is for those who use Ethernet cable in their audio or HT setup. Here is something I found somewhere and tried myself and convinced that it takes the performance to next level.

What I did that I isolated my system by connecting the entry point of my system to Ethernet socket on wall by fiber optic. The entry point of my system is an Ethernet switch which has two SFP ports. I bought a media converter (https://www.newegg.com/p/0XP-001U-0...eamr42-N5lOkhBapMChoCPJwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) that converts Ethernet to fiber. And that is it, both audio and video are clean.

If your entry point is not a switch, you will have to buy two of the media converter I mentioned above. You will also need a pair of SFP modules (something like this https://www.fs.com/products/12622.html) and make sure you buy them in pair because both source and target must exactly be same.

As for fiber cable, in the spec of SFP module you will find if that works with Single Mode or Multi-Mode fiber and buy accordingly.

In fact, I would even encourage the ones relying on wifi to switch to physical connection, if possible.

Last edited:
I normally do not push for any recommendation but this has brought in such a change that I am forced to remind folks using Ethernet in their chain to convert to fiber. Please let me know any questions anybody may have.

I just posted on another forum that this is the area where I was a non-believer in the beginning but a total convert now.

With whatever knowledge I have in science, it just kicks it out of window. How can replacement of Ethernet by fiber improve performance? Probably, copper cabling works as antenna? That is the conclusion I made.

You will need following to implement this.

2 of these https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-MC220...converter&qid=1590852852&s=electronics&sr=1-3

1 of this https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FDFXCCG...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl (buy suitable length)

2 of these https://www.amazon.in/Cisco-1000BAS...fp+module&qid=1590852982&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Last edited:
So I would need a switch / router with SFP out and if it does not have the chain would be something like this

Router/switch to media converter 001 (Ethernet cable)

Media converter 001 to media converter 002 ( SFP cable)

media converter 002 to streamer / pc (Ethernet cable)

Is this the correct way ?

So I would need a switch / router with SFP out and if it does not have the chain would be something like this

Router/switch to media converter 001 (Ethernet cable)

Media converter 001 to media converter 002 ( SFP cable)

media converter 002 to streamer / pc (Ethernet cable)

Is this the correct way ?
Yes, that is correct. Basically, this will help reducing the length of Ethernet cable. In my case I have a 6 inch Ethernets on source and target side.

I normally do not push for any recommendation but this has brought in such a change that I am forced to remind folks using Ethernet in their chain to convert to fiber. Please let me know any questions anybody may have.

I just posted on another forum that this is the area where I was a non-believer in the beginning but a total convert now.

With whatever knowledge I have in science, it just kicks it out of window. How can replacement of Ethernet by fiber improve performance? Probably, copper cabling works as antenna? That is the conclusion I made.

You will need following to implement this.

2 of these https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-MC220...converter&qid=1590852852&s=electronics&sr=1-3

1 of this https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FDFXCCG...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl (buy suitable length)

2 of these https://www.amazon.in/Cisco-1000BAS...fp+module&qid=1590852982&s=electronics&sr=1-2
Hi,
I was just in the process of buying optical Rendu with their Optical module.
Currently I am using Roon Nucleus ( connected to LAN Switch) and SOtM sms200 Ultra Neo also connected to same LAN Switch.
What you are suggesting is I convert LAN to Optical than Optical back to LAN port of my streamer SOtM.
In case of Sonore Optical Rendu the advantage is that the unit accepts the optical cable directly.
But claim to have benefited in sound quality by removing the noise using the optical cable in between.
Can I connect both my Roon Nucleus and SOtM both at the same time. Do you get a LAN to Optical convector TP Link with two ports or 3 ports of optical ports. In case upyes can you forward the link with details.
It’s no harm trying this option before spending money on Sonore equipment.
Will look forward to your opinion.
Thanks
Santosh

@bornfi : Interesting observation.. I have about 8 meters of ethernet cable running from my modem to a switch in my media cabinet. Most of the length is enclosed in the wall, and the cable being shielded.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess would be that converting only the end points would not be beneficial. Any thoughts on that would be helpful to follow up with your observations.

Hi,
I was just in the process of buying optical Rendu with their Optical module.
Currently I am using Roon Nucleus ( connected to LAN Switch) and SOtM sms200 Ultra Neo also connected to same LAN Switch.
What you are suggesting is I convert LAN to Optical than Optical back to LAN port of my streamer SOtM.
In case of Sonore Optical Rendu the advantage is that the unit accepts the optical cable directly.
But claim to have benefited in sound quality by removing the noise using the optical cable in between.
Can I connect both my Roon Nucleus and SOtM both at the same time. Do you get a LAN to Optical convector TP Link with two ports or 3 ports of optical ports. In case upyes can you forward the link with details.
It’s no harm trying this option before spending money on Sonore equipment.
Will look forward to your opinion.
Thanks
Santosh
Santosh,

The fact that companies like Sonore is embracing this tech is itself a solid proof of benefitting the systems.

What you are envisaging is possible but I haven't seen a TP link unit with multiple ports howere; there are ethernet switches with multiple SFP ports. Like this one below is what I have.

I am sure there are switches with more than two ports too. If you do not want to buy a switch, you can buy multiple TP Link converters and daisy-chain them.

The key thing to keep in mind is that always get exactly the same SFP modules for source and target or else you will have challenges connecting.

Please let me know in case you have any questions.

@bornfi : Interesting observation.. I have about 8 meters of ethernet cable running from my modem to a switch in my media cabinet. Most of the length is enclosed in the wall, and the cable being shielded.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess would be that converting only the end points would not be beneficial. Any thoughts on that would be helpful to follow up with your observations.
The idea is to isolate your system from copper (the Ethernet cable) but after I found this to be beneficial, I replaced Ethernet cables with fiber optic wherever possible. The 'replaced' may be a wrong word because at both the ends there are still a 6 inch ethernet cable.

Yes, in you case, you can start by isolating the switch from target device using fiber optic.

Since it is hard to find concrete information as to how it benefits, the theory I am living with is that any copper (metal) cable works as antenna that catches all the garbage floating in air and ingest into our systems. So, the smaller the antenna is, lesser of garbage is collected and ingested.

Please let me know any question that you may have.

Santosh,

The fact that companies like Sonore is embracing this tech is itself a solid proof of benefitting the systems.

What you are envisaging is possible but I haven't seen a TP link unit with multiple ports howere; there are ethernet switches with multiple SFP ports. Like this one below is what I have.

I am sure there are switches with more than two ports too. If you do not want to buy a switch, you can buy multiple TP Link converters and daisy-chain them.

The key thing to keep in mind is that always get exactly the same SFP modules for source and target or else you will have challenges connecting.

Hi bornfi
Thanks for your reply.
So basically I have to convert LAN to Optical and than Optical back to LAN to connect my streamer. Am I correct.
And using SAME BRAND SFP Modules I can connect both Roon Nucleus and SOtM Streamer.
Am I correct.
If I am connecting Roon Nucleus and SOtM than either I get Switch with multiple ports ( 2 units) or 4 units of single SFP port switches.
Let me know .

Santosh,

Hi
Some how I am unable to open the link you sent for Switch with 2 SFP slots.
Can you check and resend if not inconvenient.
Thanks

Hi bornfi
Thanks for your reply.
So basically I have to convert LAN to Optical and than Optical back to LAN to connect my streamer. Am I correct.
Yes
And using SAME BRAND SFP Modules I can connect both Roon Nucleus and SOtM Streamer.
Am I correct. Together with brand, the model too must match.
If I am connecting Roon Nucleus and SOtM than either I get Switch with multiple ports ( 2 units) or 4 units of single SFP port switches.
Let me know . Correct

Hi bornfi,
I am in Bangkok right now .
This is what I found here. TP link module looks same as yours.
The dual optical port switch I am not sure if it’s gigabytes or not.
SFP modules please check if ok.
Thanks

Attachments

• BC671E74-C9B7-4558-A25A-52CA9C6FCD62.jpeg
    BC671E74-C9B7-4558-A25A-52CA9C6FCD62.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 11
  • D240E8C4-37DD-4FD2-91BD-5A7A37ECFD1D.jpeg
    D240E8C4-37DD-4FD2-91BD-5A7A37ECFD1D.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 8F108091-9297-4270-BE5E-C969BB97A8ED.jpeg
    8F108091-9297-4270-BE5E-C969BB97A8ED.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi bornfi,
Thanks

This is the optic cable I found LC to LC

Attachments

• 5C9ED288-477F-46AE-B6D3-4F243EA5BCD2.jpeg
    5C9ED288-477F-46AE-B6D3-4F243EA5BCD2.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 10
Hi bornfi,
Thanks
Looks good.
Now, for fiber cable, go through the specs of SFP modules thoroughly, somewhere it must specify if it supports Single Mode or Multi-Mode cable and buy cable appropriately. If you aren't able to figure out, PM me the link of the website you found the SFP modules on, I will take a look and let you know.

Looks good.
Now, for fiber cable, go through the specs of SFP modules thoroughly, somewhere it must specify if it supports Single Mode or Multi-Mode cable and buy cable appropriately. If you aren't able to figure out, PM me the link of the website you found the SFP modules on, I will take a look and let you know.
You can down load the App called Lazada. It’s a local online store here in Bangkok Thailand. I think it’s taken over by Ali express now.
After downloading the App LAZADA you can look for most appropriate items and send me the link of snap shot.
Thanks for all the help.
Can check Ali Express also which takes about 7 to 15 days for delivery from China.
We don’t have Amazon here. I was in USA in Nov till Jan. I could have easily got it had I known about it earlier.
Thanks once again.

The idea is to isolate your system from copper (the Ethernet cable) but after I found this to be beneficial, I replaced Ethernet cables with fiber optic wherever possible. The 'replaced' may be a wrong word because at both the ends there are still a 6 inch ethernet cable.

Yes, in you case, you can start by isolating the switch from target device using fiber optic.

Since it is hard to find concrete information as to how it benefits, the theory I am living with is that any copper (metal) cable works as antenna that catches all the garbage floating in air and ingest into our systems. So, the smaller the antenna is, lesser of garbage is collected and ingested.

Please let me know any question that you may have.
Will try to get more info on the devices that you've linked in your post.. for now most are either out of stock or sold more than their usual prices.

Looks good.
Hi bornfi,
Up and running. I got everything of TP Link to have better matching.
1.LAN/Optical Switch. TP link same model which you suggested.
2.SFP Module Also TP Link Single Mode
3.Optical cable Single Mode 3 meters Single Mode ( brand unknown)
Right now difficult to judge performance. But one thing is clearly visible is the Black noise free background.
After an hour sound appears to be smooth with bigger soundstage. But sound might change as it keeps playing. As every thing including LAN cables are new it might take some time to get best results.

Attachments

• B0686559-1EB9-45B6-A5B8-B385C65179F5.jpeg
    B0686559-1EB9-45B6-A5B8-B385C65179F5.jpeg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 634D3F59-ADBA-4C31-8D95-5315808C7F3A.jpeg
    634D3F59-ADBA-4C31-8D95-5315808C7F3A.jpeg
    910.7 KB · Views: 14
I have just put this Optical/LAN Switch on my SOtM sms200 Ultra Neo.
After getting satisfactory results I will buy one more for Roon Nucleus.
Total cost was $200.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back