Share your cassette collection!

I have quite a bit of collection, mostly Hindi oldies stored safely in ziplock plastic bags. Additionally have 3 tape decks all in good working condition. Nothing exotic (two Onkyo and one Sansui).

Attachments

• IMG_20210617_080857 (wecompress.com).jpg
    IMG_20210617_080857 (wecompress.com).jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 52
Here is about 50% of my collection from 1993-2002. Due to leaving it in humid place, they are not in good condition. Have lost many more cassettes and miss them. Each and every cassette I bought carries some memories. Many seen in the picture here are free cassettes got along with Cine Blitz or some magazine too.
Majority of the cassettes I bought were in my college days in a shop in Saraswathi Puram, Mysore and about 25% in Jayanagar, Bangalore. I really miss those two Mysore shop guys, who were friendly and helpful.
IMG_20180915_135838.jpg

I am a fan of portable gadgets, however, I used decks for listening to cassettes in the past. Nowadays I only use walkmans for listening to the cassettes. Primarily I like Sony walkmans for their excellent sound quality. I am especially a fan of later Sony models, released primarily from 1995 to 2005. They are mainly built on plastic parts and most hated among serious walkman lovers. But I like them, because they are simple machines. Transports are very simple, straightforward, having very fewer parts that are arranged in a non-complicated way. Availability of belts for these transports is also easy. In general, these transports feature the "Anti-Rolling Mechanism", which mean that they are very less prone to speed variation during the movement of the walkman. I even run with a walkman in my pocket, the speed does not vary.

My present everyday walkman model for cassette listening is the Sony WM-EX182 from 1998. It is an identical machine to its sibling WM-EX172. The EX182 is a blue-coloured model and the colour is the only difference with EX172. EX182/172 features Dolby-B NR, Mega Bass Boost, Bass-Treble Control, Tape Type selector (Normal/Chrome/Metal) and Auto Volume Limiting System (AVLS). It does not possess Auto-Reverse and Radio. The electronics are made up of only three ICs. A SOC-like audio chip, Sanyo LA4582CM, handles all the functions of Pre-Amp, Tone-Control, Mega Bass and Amp. According to its datasheet, it can deliver up to 375 mW of power using a 16-ohm load with 0.04% THD (during Mega Bass ON). The other chip is the Dolby-B decoder, Japan Radio Corporation's (JRC) NJM2185A. Both the chips are the latest models of their respective semiconductor series (LA45xx & NJM2xxx) that Sony ever used in any of their consumer-grade walkmans, as per my knowledge (any input is welcome though in this regard). However, this kind of all-in-one IC design may attract the point of discussion, because many users might favour discrete IC design.

The third IC is Sanyo LB1979, which is the Motor-Driver. It runs a three-coil Disk Motor that provides a super smooth tape speed.

Here is a photo of the little guy...

IMG_20210609_134600.jpg

Last edited:
Here is about 50% of my collection from 1993-2002. Due to leaving it in humid place, they are not in good condition. Have lost many more cassettes and miss them. Each and every cassette I bought carries some memories. Many seen in the picture here are free cassettes got along with Cine Blitz or some magazine too.
Majority of the cassettes I bought were in my college days in a shop in Saraswathi Puram, Mysore and about 25% in Jayanagar, Bangalore. I really miss those two Mysore shop guys, who were friendly and helpful.
View attachment 58367
One of my fav album Retro Active.
:)

I am a fan of portable gadgets, however, I used decks for listening to cassettes in the past. Nowadays I only use walkmans for listening to the cassettes. Primarily I like Sony walkmans for their excellent sound quality. I am especially a fan of later Sony models, released primarily from 1995 to 2005. They are mainly built on plastic parts and most hated among serious walkman lovers. But I like them, because they are simple machines. Transports are very simple, straightforward, having very fewer parts that are arranged in a non-complicated way. Availability of belts for these transports is also easy. In general, these transports feature the "Anti-Rolling Mechanism", which mean that they are very less prone to speed variation during the movement of the walkman. I even run with a walkman in my pocket, the speed does not vary.

My present everyday walkman model for cassette listening is the Sony WM-EX182 from 1998. It is an identical machine to its sibling WM-EX172. The EX182 is a blue-coloured model and the colour is the only difference with EX172. EX182/172 features Dolby-B NR, Mega Bass Boost, Bass-Treble Control, Tape Type selector (Normal/Chrome/Metal) and Auto Volume Limiting System (AVLS). It does not possess Auto-Reverse and Radio. The electronics are made up of only three ICs. A SOC-like audio chip, Sanyo LA4582CM, handles all the functions of Pre-Amp, Tone-Control, Mega Bass and Amp. According to its datasheet, it can deliver up to 375 mW of power using a 16-ohm load with 0.04% THD (during Mega Bass ON). The other chip is the Dolby-B decoder, Japan Radio Corporation's (JRC) NJM2185A. Both the chips are the latest models of their respective semiconductor series (LA45xx & NJM2xxx) that Sony ever used in any of their consumer-grade walkmans, as per my knowledge (any input is welcome though in this regard). However, this kind of all-in-one IC design may attract the point of discussion, because many users might favour discrete IC design.

The third IC is Sanyo LB1979, which is the Motor-Driver. It runs a three-coil Disk Motor that provides a super smooth tape speed.

Here is a photo of the little guy...

View attachment 58473
nice one to have!

I too have a good collection......But do not have Cassette Decks to play.
Used to own Norge ......but that's long long ago
I'm in the same boat. A few years ago I interacted with a very nice gentleman on HFV who was selling his deck but I could not travel at that time to pick it up. I occasionally listen to old cassettes on a used Walkman I got from ebay.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back