Shipping Audio Equipment Domestically

sidvee

Gentle Members,
I recently had the opportunity to scout around for shipping an audio component that I sold and I was in for a rude shock. No - not for the amount they were charging, which although quite high is not unreasonable, but the fact that there is no easy way to insure the shipment for its value without having the buyer cough up at his end - what with taxes like octroi, sales-tax, central govt. rip off's, state govt. rip off's, local municipality rip off's etc. What I dont understand is how additional tax can be charged on a used component after initial sales tax or customs duty or some form of tax has already been paid to the govt. upon intial sale. Actually after reasonable depreciation the component should not have any taxable value - right (correct me if I am wrong - my accounting is a little rusty). I was quite concerned trying to ship a component without insuring it, knowing that if something were to happen to it in transit, either me or the buyer will be stuck. Fortunately the buyer had his friend pick it up. I would appreciate other's comments on how they sold their equipment.
Cheers
Sid

I agree this is a problem. I normally arrange to either hand deliver/mule deliver stuff, do not trust courier companies after a pair of Fostex drivers got delivered to a friend in pieces!

Exactly my point GeorgeO. Ideally one should be able to insure for the sales value of the item - for which the shipping company may charge a slight premium - and in case of provable damage upon delivery - the shipping company has to pay up. The buyer also should not have to pay any taxes on the insured value. No wonder there is such a thriving parallel black economy because of asinine rules such as this - It is right up there with paying customs duty on shipping costs:lol:. Well I guess next time I sell something I will have to specify local pick up only or buyer has to pay all applicable taxes on the full insured value.
Cheers
Sid

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back