Shoes

I have ordered a tanker boot from Bridlen in cuoio ( leather in Italian ) color . Since I cannot go to them for the trial , based on my inputs regarding sizing, they will be sending me two shoes ( with 0.5 difference in size ) built on the same last ( saga) as the boots. Once I try them out and find the size that fits me the best, they will make the shoe. They will also arrange with the courier for the pickup of these trial shoes. So far the experience with them have been very good. They are prompt on email and whatsapp , and since they have been making shoes for the very discerning Japanese market , I eagerly look forward to trying their boots and then some more. View attachment 62525
My Bridlen Tanker boot was delivered yesterday. The construction is good and fits well. It’s also light and doesn’t look very different from the pictures on their website.. The leather needed more conditioning though. In terms of detail, they even put the gentleman’s notch - a small cut on the side of the heel to prevent trousers from snagging, but unfortunately as the picture shows , they did this on only one heel and not the other one. Not a big deal as I wear my trousers with a quarter break.7B2644ED-FD42-49E5-B482-11895CBCB487.jpegA0ECD12E-7DD3-4D39-881C-F7F5E95F0556.jpeg85A82444-13BD-4EC5-8772-CF7A794042C1.jpeg

Beautiful !!
I also got myself a Chelsea from Blackbrd shoes.

I got a custom order with my choice of upper/sole and construction and it came out wonderful. they were the most communicative during the process and they liked the design so much that they added it to their catalogue with the name "Fujin" ..you can see the customized sole with my initials in the pics ;)

Very interesting thread @moktan. I am looking for custom made wide sizes. I usually use a E US sizing. I contacted about 2-3 of the mentioned sites here regarding this, however no - to very spotty response from their side (typical desi response me thinks of outside normal requests). One site even mentioned drawing foot outline on a paper and mentioned measuring width - however no response, even after that.
Is there any way to get these guys to respond? to custom requests that is?
Or am I doomed till I travel to US next year after this Chinese virus dies down?
Cheers,
Sid

Sidvee try out
and

Most of the guys above are OEMs for european brands. although the above 2 are using glued construction.

Please try contacting blackbird shoes. their ops manager is called pradeep and i found them excellent.

Very interesting thread @moktan. I am looking for custom made wide sizes. I usually use a E US sizing. I contacted about 2-3 of the mentioned sites here regarding this, however no - to very spotty response from their side (typical desi response me thinks of outside normal requests). One site even mentioned drawing foot outline on a paper and mentioned measuring width - however no response, even after that.
Or am I doomed till I travel to US next year after this Chinese virus dies down?
Cheers,
Sid
On work days , the response of Bridlen on this WhatsApp is quite prompt and helpful . 9884072527…Ms Aafia Bathool.

Speaking of shoes made in India , I discovered Leg Work Shoes who as their WhatsApp correspondent says have been in the footwear and fulfilment industry for long. As a stylistic choice , I don’t care for their leather sneakers ( a ‘neither here nor there’ hybrid shoe ) , but I did order their Goodyear welted brogue boot https://www.legwork.in/products/fin-combat-brogue-boot-signature-tan-goodyear-welted which is being currently sold at 70% discount.
Also , the famous tannery J. Rendenbach – most known for its oak bark tanned leather JR soles will be closing down. They cite decreasing quality of supplies and the lack of demand for leather soles as factors. Though leather soles are more elegant , for the rainy area in which I live , rubber soles are the more sensible option.

I discovered the brand called Lethato which sells the product outside of India but I bought a pair of Wingtip Brogue Shoes from the Brand offline. They are a very small company sell out of India and if you want to buy the shoes you have to visit their office to shop.

Found this thread recently…amazed at sheer information behind footwear…Ordered Goodyear welt Chelsea boot from legwork… may be the knowledgeable ones can start a thread for watches or shaving essentials or jewellery for men…

Cheers,
Sid
Bridlen has some shoes ( oxfords , derbies , single and double monks ) made in their MOD last https://bridlen.com/collections/mod-last-collection. The MOD last is EEE grading and makes for a classic , old school shoe.

Found this thread recently…amazed at sheer information behind footwear…Ordered Goodyear welt Chelsea boot from legwork…
I hope you will like your new shoe. The construction of the legwork boot which I ordered for my son is Goodyear welted as claimed and perhaps better than the average shoe available out there. The leather however is thin , oiled and of average quality. They have sprayed something on it ( similar to acrylic on bookbinder leather ) and this is a sure sign the leather is not of the best quality. At 70% markdown ( about 6000/- now ) the price seems ok. However given the quality , the original pricing does seem foolhardy , greedy and atrocious — so good for legwork they effected that drastic correction.
By the way I will be ordering their captoe boot from Bridlen. However instead of the pulled up leather ( hide sourced from Europe and tanned in micro tanneries in India ) I will be going for the box calf from Du Puy. Du Puy , now with the Hermes group , was originally owned by JM Weston. Their russia calf on my JM Weston derby ( picture ) is the best leather in any of my shoes by a mile.
Finally , if one were thinking of a quick order from Bridlen for one of their elegant and well priced Blake constructed shoes. No joy. Even this one seems to be only MTO and will take about a week or more to deliver. They are however diligent about their sizing and if one doesn’t live in the city will send a similar shoe ( same size and last) for fitting.
FD65377B-A62F-4FC4-BFBA-55C7573C4215.jpeg

Around new year I was in Mahabaleshwar. Walked into a custom shoemaker - Prabhat Footwear.
No website of their, but perhaps this is the correct one: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mitesh-salunkhe-403b64155/?originalSubdomain=in
They take tracing and measurements of your foot and fabricate the footwear according to your dimensions.

Had nice designs and leather/material. Bought one off the shelf and based on its performance will order for bespoke one. It appears they have quite a clientele with Mumbai businessfolks.

Any body try Ruosh? There was store 10 min from my house in Hyd and I bought 3-4 pairs. Was/and am quite happy. Unfortunately the store by my house closed, however I still like their products (ordered a pair of loafers recently via online as I know their sizes fit me perfectly).
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Any body try Ruosh? There was store 10 min from my house in Hyd and I bought 3-4 pairs. Was/and am quite happy. Unfortunately the store by my house closed, however I still like their products (ordered a pair of loafers recently via online as I know their sizes fit me perfectly).
Cheers,
Sid
I had bought one 6 years back..the sole has all come off now. since it is a cemented construction repair is not that great.
Else their fit and finish is very good though.

They do not have true oxfords for a really formal one only Bluchers.

Can try www.dappershoes.com
Also their sister concern https://3dmlifestyle.com/

3dm is basically export only. The quality of their shoes is just top notch. I have many brands but nothing comes close to their quality when it comes to leather.
yup ..I had spoken to the dapperman folks and someone I know got a boot from them.. goodyear welted and well built.

Found another 2 more Indian shoe makers who cold be OEMs.
1. https://www.blkbrdshoemaker.com/collections/men with primarily goodyear welt and norwegian welt shoes!
2. https://thedapperman.in/collections/goodyear-welted. again with some really nice formal shoes.

Thank you @moktan for this unique thread and for sharing your fascinating collection with us.
I prefer casual slip-on Sparx as they're very comfortable and fuss-free. Picked up a pair of Ruosh formals a few years ago. My most prized footwear however is a pair of formal Joy Shoes which I've carefully preserved since the last 25 years :D
My Ruosh Formals bought in 2015

20220127_110823.jpg

My prized Joy Shoes from 1996 :D

20220127_111121.jpg

Shoes, HiFi, wetshaving...what other community intersections can we expect? Vintage tribal carpets? Enthusiasm for enameled cast iron cookware?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back