Should Class D (Tripath/TDA etc.) Chips be called High Fidelity ?

Hi Kanwar,

I've purchased a Class D amp kit based on IR chip after going through a lot of information, esp 'audiocircle' which is said to be sonically far superior to TI chip.
I'm not a technical guy so may not understand the technical issues involved.

Cheers

Rajesh

Hi Kanwar,

I've purchased a Class D amp kit based on IR chip after going through a lot of information, esp 'audiocircle' which is said to be sonically far superior to TI chip.
I'm not a technical guy so may not understand the technical issues involved.

Cheers

Rajesh

Still looking forward about your experiences regarding IR chip

:)

I never listened to any class-D chip amp, so can't comment.

Kanwar

Hi Kanwar,

I'm too lazy to post reviews but my brief comments can be seen here and here

See how lazy I am;)

Cheers

Rajesh

Hi Captain,

Thanxz for the links.

I hope you are enjoying it.

Wanna tweak it further, drop me a pm.

Cheers,
Kanwar

Last edited:
I hope you are enjoying it.

Yes but that is not my main amp, only a back up amp as I'm yet to build a PassDIY B1 Buffer and the chassis. My job keeps me so busy, can't seem to do it.:sad: It is a very resolving amp but I guess there is a lot of experimentation needed to extract its full potential.

By virtue of my DIY aspirations, I now have 3 amps (it was four but I sold off one)

My main amp is a vintage Luxman LV80.:)

There is something on 'feedback circuitry' on the Tripath amps too, which makes them sound so clean. If you could throw some light on it ....

No wonder the D class and the Tripaths have caused this much of a flutter in the audio industry. 'Such' fabulous performance at 'such' affordable costs with 'such' high efficiency (low power, no heat) and addressing space constraints!

cost is not less .. rest all is correct... sonos used class D amp and perfect example of small size and less power consumption and highly efficient .. but not cheap :)

I have a question here. I tried two different class-T amps based on Tripath chip (TA2020 and TA2024) ranging from 4k INR to 7k INR. Both just had a volume pot on the input line. Those pots looked like they cost 1/10th the cost of the interconnect I used between the source and T-Amp.

Do amps based on Tripath chips don't need a pre-amp or its not worth to implement one for a chip that costs $3?

Most integrated amps based on class A/B design have a proper built in pre amp. Is it just because the class A/B designs increase the complexity for doing the same work done by class T amps and hence require complex pre amps?

Here is the internal pic of the amp said to cost 90 + shipping in UK. See the black wires directly going from the input to the pot. Is this what we get for 7k INR? Is it value for money or is it a limitation of Tripath chips?
DSC_0181.JPG

The below is the internal pic of Topping which cost about 4k INR. Even this one just had a pot on the input
DSC_0212.JPG

ravi_d,
As far as I know. Tripath chips or Gainclone chips (LM3886) don't require peramp and can take line level input. So nothing amiss here.
As for the volume pot I agree for that amount they should have put in high quality volume pot.

Hello, Just take care that there is adequate capacitance to supply surge current. From the looks of the internals the supply capacitace seems to be very low. A lot of the cost of a high performance amplifier comes from large banks of distributed capacitance (with low parasitic inductance) to supply dynamic current. This is what ultimately limits your dynamic power.

Spinozarabel

Hello, Just take care that there is adequate capacitance to supply surge current. From the looks of the internals the supply capacitace seems to be very low. A lot of the cost of a high performance amplifier comes from large banks of distributed capacitance (with low parasitic inductance) to supply dynamic current. This is what ultimately limits your dynamic power.

Spinozarabel

@Spinozarabel, I think the amp does not have a Power Supply but takes in power from an external source possibly an SMPS That is what it appears to be from the pic. The cap bank you are referring to is required to be placed on Power supply board AFAIK.

The power supply looks like a Rs 200 - 300 laptop type power adapter. What more you can expect for a T-Amp.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back