Should I buy a DAC or a CD player?

dances_with_wolves

hi guys,

I have a entry level hi-fi setup consisting of a Sony DVD player (a stopgap arrangement), Marantz PM7001 integrated amp, and MA BR2s speakers. It is primarily for music. I feel the setup is missing some detail. The sounds seem bunched together. I am convinced the player is the weakest link. What say?

I plan to add some equipment with the intention of getting better detail from my setup - separate the sounds out more. For now, I am not too worried about bass, as I plan to buy a sub sometime soon.

I was wondering which of the below-mentioned two scenarios would improve the sound quality more noticeably. By improve, I mean detail.

1> Buy a better source. May be a Marantz CD player
2> Use the same source and buy a DAC

I want to know if a DAC will work with my current setup, and if you think it might be a better choice than changing the player. If a DAC, I shortlisted the V-DAC, Beresfords, and DACMagic. Any others I should look at?

I am in Canada now, where I plan to audition and buy some eqpmt. I will be here for less than 3 weeks. So, quick replies are really appreciated. Thanks.

cheers,
dww

dance with wolves, I am not the best person to give an opinion on this, but I do feel that if you are eyeing the budget segment, with a budget of a max Rs. 20k, you would do better with a dedicated cdp. Like a Marantz cd6003, Ca 640c etc.
For what purpose are you looking at a DAC? Is it for playing audio cds, mp3s on your dvd player or for using with flac/mp3 on your computer?
Titus

If its the latter get a budget cdp and a cheap usb dac!

I want to know if a DAC will work with my current setup, and if you think it might be a better choice than changing the player. If a DAC, I shortlisted the V-DAC, Beresfords, and DACMagic. Any others I should look at?

Yes, sure a DAC will work. You see, the situation is like this, you either buy a DAC and set it up with your existing DVDp and amp, and enjoy OR you buy a dedicated cdp and enjoy too. IMO either way you will get definite enjoyment and I don't see either one of them gaining the upper hand. All the DACs you mentioned are excellent in their own way. But, I would lean on Beresford, if you ask me.

Ok, if you ask me what I'd choose between DAC/cdp for you setup, the answer is 'cdp'.

:)

one of the greatest advantage you have in Canada is access to a Used market in Audio.
for a good price you can get a CDP which will outperform a DAC at the same or higher cost
eg : Cary CD Player CD-301 For Sale | AudiogoN

I would suggest you explore these options.

and a CDP would be more value than a DAC ..unless you plan to use multiple sources (HDD etc as well)

It depends on the music files you will play mostly.
If you are with CDs,then CDp is best choice for you.
But if you listen other than CDs,DAC is good one.
DAC can be connected to Lapy/PC & play FLAC too.

DAC is a better option even if you have CDs. You can rip them, burn them on dvd and then play. CDP would play CDs only. And then you have the flexibility to buy a hdd based or streaming device.

Thanks for quick replies, guys.

@arj: the link you sent has lots of options for 1500 usd pls. My budget is about 300-350 USD.

@anm: exactly why I considered a DAC. But God forbid :), if I ever need to play from a computer, I guess I need a good USB DAC, right?

The reason I looked for a DAC is that it seemed like more bang per buck.

**If I use my current source's digital out with one of the DACs I mentioned, will the sound quality be better than similar priced CD-Ps is what I want to know.**

thanks again ppl. This is a very active forum.

@arj: the link you sent has lots of options for 1500 usd pls. My budget is about 300-350 USD.

@anm: exactly why I considered a DAC. But God forbid :), if I ever need to play from a computer, I guess I need a good USB DAC, right?

**If I use my current source's digital out with one of the DACs I mentioned, will the sound quality be better than similar priced CD-Ps is what I want to know.**

HI dances_with_wolves,

at that price point ($350) - the cdp is a much better option than a DAC (as far as sound quality is concerned) - especially if god has forbidden use of laptop/mp3 music

Last edited:
hai dww,

I suggest you buy the Cambridge Audio DVD Player model DV-99, its a clear winner. We have compared it with Marantz CD 63 and was way better in SQ.

N.Murali

Marantz Cd63 is one of more popular used models. or you can look for more recent cd5001 or cd6002.

At less than 500$ I think the Emotiva ERC-1 will beat all other CDPs. Since you are in Canada this is a good option to look at. Unfortunately they have a back order and will start shipping only from April 15. Also read the April issue of Stereophile. They have a set of products in their recommendation list, and Marantz is not there.

Cheers

usb dac is not your only option. you can add a sound card with digital out and it should work with your non usb dac too. I have a dac that doesn't have USB - but I have a USB-> optical converter to listen to laptop that doesn't have a spdif out. My dac should be ready to rock by sunday. Hopefully I would be able to do some comparison in next month/ months with my nad cdp analog/ digital out, philips dvdp digital out.

DVD99 is also a good option that you may try to demo with your setup.
DIY gurus - OT - how difficult would it be to tap i2s signal from usb, and feed to internal dac of cdp/ dvdp? And a switch to select internal player's output or an external i2s signal?

regards

DIY gurus - OT - how difficult would it be to tap i2s signal from usb, and feed to internal dac of cdp/ dvdp? And a switch to select internal player's output or an external i2s signal?

regards

I am neither DIY nor Guru. but USB to I2S may not beworth the effort. (I believe I2S can only be used for very short distances).. there is a product which could do it though http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/usb.aspx
I believe the Toslink to be a better option with DVDP out/in as the Coax-SPDIF module is often compromised there.

At your budget, the DAC would be the way to go. What that means is that tomorrow you could move on to having even your PC as the source and yet have your audio routed through the DAC.

thevortex, are you saying that a 350$ dac with a dvd player/pc will sound better than a 350$ cd player? If so, can you suggest a few dacs which would do the job?

iaudio - there are quite a few DAC kits in the market which can do the needful for you. I am not sure about a hard $350 budget but a Scott Nixon DAC or a Peter Daniel DAC are among the few options which can fit the option. And note my post - today he may be using a normal DVD player. But tomorrow he could take the medium onto a PC and with the DAC that he now invests in, he could take his system to a whole different level that a $350 CD player cannot hope to match. Hope that helps.

I am actually eagerly expecting a DAC for myself. Will write in detail after I have got it and integrated it with my system.

I just noticed that you have mentioned a PC in your post, iaudio. With a PC (rightly configured) already in the mix, it is a given that in combination with the DAC it will sound better than a $350 DAC :).

@the OP,there u go,"sound" advice from members :lol:.do go thru the various dac threads for more info.i personally use a usb only KECES DA-151 mk2,very impressive to say the least for the price.theres another model by them,the KECES DA-131 mk2,which offers the usual gamut of connectivity options.also,a properly setup pc thru a dac should make a enviable source!!!cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back