Should I buy a preamp/DAC?

gl.tch

Hi there! New guy on the block here. I've got an audio setup that's as follows:

2011 iMac (largely lossless files) > Sansui Integrated Amplifier A-5 > B&O BeoVox 1000s.

I have a Marantz CD player and a Marantz turntable that both run into the A-5.

The cable that runs from my Mac to the hifi simply has a headphone jack on one end and phono plugs on the other.

I tend to run the sound output of the Mac at high or full volume and keep the A-5 around the 1 or 2 mark on the volume, pretty much to reduce hiss etc.

Headphones are routed from the 'phone output on the A-5, not from my Mac.

All this said and done, is it worth looking into a DAC/pre-amp? I'd considered a USB DAC to go between the Mac and the A-5, but I couldn't find a conclusive opinion on whether it was worth it or whether the Mac soundcard was sufficient (I suspect it's not).

Apologies if this has been gone over a thousand times; if so, simply point me to the thread in question and I will cease to trouble you! :)

I would try something like http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B003N0XDT4

It has less features in that it doesn't support 24 bit 96KHZ, asynchronous USB etc. but should be a good USB DAC/Headphone amp to start with. Because unless you have a very carefully matched system and lot of things fall in place, it is more likely that you will be disappointed with large investments and most of these on their own will not perform any miracles. As they say, it is the overall system that matters, one component alone mostly will not give you that Aha! moment.

Thanks for the replies guys! Both ideas are very much appreciated and both units have gone into a prospective list.

One thing that surprised me -- and this may just be my ignorance speaking! -- was that neither unit had right/left phono outputs, just a standard headphone out.

Am I being needlessly picky, or worrying unnecessarily, about this? Would dedicated phono outs really make a difference, and given that I'm more likely to use this primarily as a bridge between computer/amplifier rather than something to plug headphones into, is it worth looking for a DAC with phono outs?

Who are/is Audiopoutine ? Seems like there was a group buy for the ODAC. Would be interested if there is another round.

By the way I have been thinking and looking for someone who can combine the chip in the Topping TP20 and the ODAC into a single unit. Does it sound like a reasonable thing to do ?

gl.tch, oops, you are right. You can get the same from jdslabs or http://www.facebook.com/AudioPoutine with stereo rca output.
Nice! The Standalone ODAC with the RCA plugs is currently just out of my budget, but I should be getting a nice windfall soon so... looking forward to it! The shipping + customs to the UK will probably make my eyes water but... too bad. :)

gl.tch, why dont you get in touch with epiphany acoustics? They are UK based. Ask them if they can get you one with Stereo rca terminals. :)

gl.tch, why dont you get in touch with epiphany acoustics? They are UK based. Ask them if they can get you one with Stereo rca terminals. :)

Thanks, I will -- seems like the best route to take first.

jdslabs usa offers ODAC with rca outputs at $159

Yeah, I saw that -- but adding the price of postage+customs to the UK adds a chunk onto that $159! Out of preference, I'd also like to support UK businesses too.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back