Should I Buy Amazon Basics Speaker Cables

samgurung

The position of my speakers would mean that Ill need about 50 ft for each speaker of speaker wire. Is Amazon Basics copper speaker wire a good choice? Would be grateful for some inputs or any other decent ( not too expensive ) recommendations.

Thank you all,

If cost and availability is a factor, try a spool of 1.5 sqmm (or 2.5 sqmm) spool of good electrical wire.
Brands like Finolex, Havells, Polycab, Anchor. They are good copper and will work.
One spool is 90m, which will yield 45m of speaker wire (about 140 ft total)

Cheers,
Raghu

The position of my speakers would mean that Ill need about 50 ft for each speaker of speaker wire. Is Amazon Basics copper speaker wire a good choice? Would be grateful for some inputs or any other decent ( not too expensive ) recommendations.

Thank you all,
Great quality wire am using 14 AWG Oxygen free wire. Costly but cheap compared to segment.

I am in a similar situation. I wish to buy speaker wires for my 5.1.4 setup.

What I could understand from the discussion in the forum is that the Amazon speaker cables are reasonably good for the cost. You may get slight improvement in the audio quality with the bigger brands, but have to pay a significantly large money.

Atmos speakers need 40 feet and rear bookshelves/surrounds will need around 50 feet.
Planning to go for Amazon basic 14AWG cables.

In review of this cables I have read they are not oxygen free copper (OFC) but copper coated aluminum (CCA). I guess you would be better off considering other value for money brands OFC like C&E.

So snake oil?
No. Speaker cables do make a difference.
But the difference is really palpable in a very transparent and dedicated 2-channel setup.
I am using Finolex wire forever in 2-ch. The presentation is realistic when it comes to how instruments sound and all.
But what is lacking is maybe staging.
This i confirmed while trying out a custom built cable by one of our FMs.

Amazon Basics have a decent following. If you find it difficult to procure, you may use electrical cables.
You mention 50ft for each speaker. Is this for surround speaker setup or 2-Channel?

Cheers,
Raghu

For surround.. For the front speakers i used c&e
OK. As I said, if you feel C&E or AmazonBasics are expensive for the run length, use electric wire.
2.5 sqmm is 13-14 AWG. Will work out definitely cheaper. Not pretty if not concealed :)
If you have the budget, go for AmazonBasics or C&E or any other branded cable.

Cheers,
Raghu

Amazon basics seems ok in price.. C&E is a trifle expensive... Was wondering if amazon basics would make the cut. Don't want to spend only to find out later that it does not do the job well.

Thank you all,

I would suggest you get the amazon basics OFC cable. If there is a way, you may get a far better benefit by reducing the length of your cable than by buying a better cable since 50 Feet is pretty long by any standards almost like the amp and speaker are in 2 different rooms !

You have got me curious on the need for 50ft per side though.. is this due to placement constraints ?

Amazon basics seems ok in price.. C&E is a trifle expensive... Was wondering if amazon basics would make the cut. Don't want to spend only to find out later that it does not do the job well.
There are multiple variants available in Amazon Basics speaker wires. I'm using the below one (14 awg) and it is good and serving me well.

I would suggest you get the amazon basics OFC cable. If there is a way, you may get a far better benefit by reducing the length of your cable than by buying a better cable since 50 Feet is pretty long by any standards almost like the amp and speaker are in 2 different rooms !

You have got me curious on the need for 50ft per side though.. is this due to placement constraints ?
May be a little lessor than 50ft but i have to route the cable around and up. So yes due to placement constraints

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back