Showcase your cassette deck

16561628332_6992e0c9ec_h.jpg

16561623312_887fc104d7_h.jpg

Legendary Dragon.. No introduction is required !!!

wow.. great collection... from where do you get all these ? while I am thinking to sell my sony mini-hifi audio system, i am tempted to check how my cassettes would play on these!

Great Collection man, were do you source all these, i have been trying to get hold of a Nak but not able to find any...

Rgds

Chandru

Thanks Chandru. Yeh, these decks are not available in India. Since these are (were) top of the line decks, it commands premium price tag depends on the condition. Please send me a private message if you are seriously looking for good decks and willing to spend top $$

wow.. great collection... from where do you get all these ? while I am thinking to sell my sony mini-hifi audio system, i am tempted to check how my cassettes would play on these!

Thanks.. I'm based in USA and it's relatively easy to get these decks here.

I have a Nakamichi Dragon which needs servicing and it is under my bed and I sleep on it...!!...:cool:)

Any particular reasons for it, I was planning to get one for me on my next visit.

These decks were very expensive in their hay-day and not sure even a plush Indian could afford one. There may be the odd exceptions though. I have encountered the dragon in the united states, previously. Masterly decks they sure are but whether they are worth the money spent on them in the present context, well that's a different story altogether :)

These decks were very expensive in their hay-day and not sure even a plush Indian could afford one. There may be the odd exceptions though. I have encountered the dragon in the united states, previously. Masterly decks they sure are but whether they are worth the money spent on them in the present context, well that's a different story altogether :)

Also it's one of the most complex deck. I have had two other dragons, most didn't perform as per my expectation. The best way to get a top performing factory spec dragon is to send the deck to Willy or ESL labs service centers but will cost around $600-$2000. After trying Dragon, ZX-9, 682ZX, Revox B215 & Aiwa XK-S9000, I settled with Revox. But (un)fortunately, I got an excellent offer for Revox which I sold Recently. Now I decided to sell all my other decks & hunting for another Revox:)

I found that Nak decks are on brighter side ( which is not bad for a cassette deck, though. But not my taste. If I want to hear CD like quality, I might as well use CD player :) ). Revox, on the other hand offers nice warm sound & the best when it comes to recording ( Even better than ZX-9 which is considered as the best ever deck for recording in the Nak line up..)

Dragon got a brand name & can fetch top dollars. It also offers auto reverse feature. That's it. With my limited knowledge & experience with cassette decks, all I could say is that, there are better decks than Dragon out there which costs much less. Having said that, will own another Dragon? Of course , if it's a Willy or ESL serviced Dragon..

Also it's one of the most complex deck. I have had two other dragons, most didn't perform as per my expectation. The best way to get a top performing factory spec dragon is to send the deck to Willy or ESL labs service centers but will cost around $600-$2000. After trying Dragon, ZX-9, 682ZX, Revox B215 & Aiwa XK-S9000, I settled with Revox. But (un)fortunately, I got an excellent offer for Revox which I sold Recently. Now I decided to sell all my other decks & hunting for another Revox:)

I found that Nak decks are on brighter side ( which is not bad for a cassette deck, though. But not my taste. If I want to hear CD like quality, I might as well use CD player :) ). Revox, on the other hand offers nice warm sound & the best when it comes to recording ( Even better than ZX-9 which is considered as the best ever deck for recording in the Nak line up..)

Dragon got a brand name & can fetch top dollars. It also offers auto reverse feature. That's it. With my limited knowledge & experience with cassette decks, all I could say is that, there are better decks than Dragon out there which costs much less. Having said that, will own another Dragon? Of course , if it's a Willy or ESL serviced Dragon..

I would disagree that all Nak's sound brighter...Have you heard a fully calibrated Dragon? Listen to the Nak 68X series...they sound more analog like than any other deck I have heard (and I have owned a Revox B215)...I have never heard a Tandberg 3014A but that I have heard is the best and beats Nak's as well...

And yes ESL or Willy or a friend of mine on the Nak list who lives in the DC area (Perry Esposito) for any repairs...I would not send it to just anyone...Willy has serviced some of my Nak's in the past...I personally have had best luck with Perry...

That said, the most digital sounding among the Nak's are the CR7A and perhaps the later models like DR1 and DR2...

I would disagree that all Nak's sound brighter...Have you heard a fully calibrated Dragon? Listen to the Nak 68X series...they sound more analog like than any other deck I have heard (and I have owned a Revox B215)...I have never heard a Tandberg 3014A but that I have heard is the best and beats Nak's as well...

And yes ESL or Willy or a friend of mine on the Nak list who lives in the DC area (Perry Esposito) for any repairs...I would not send it to just anyone...Willy has serviced some of my Nak's in the past...I personally have had best luck with Perry...

That said, the most digital sounding among the Nak's are the CR7A and perhaps the later models like DR1 and DR2...

I 100% agree with u on this. The 680zx,682zx,CR7s sounds all but cd quality. No way!!! Its heavenly.........pure analogue flavour.

Manoj,

I see your subjectiveness about Naks is not what one usuallyhears among tape enthusiasts. If anything Nakamicvhis DO NOT sound like CD players. I know, I have 24 Nakamichis now and not one of them sounds like CDs. Next, you claim to have had a Revox that was warmer? Wow! Thats news to me. I have had 3 Revox B215s and one Studer A721 and all 4 of them sounded extremely tinny( sharp, Cd like) to me and many at my home who can hear better than me due to youth. Ended up selling all 4 and will never buy that brand for the same reason.
Coming to top Naks, the Dragon was the most produced and sold most on eBay. It however, isn't the best Nak by any standards. It is a legendary Nak and a very very exemplary Nak. The best Naks are the 1000ZXL Limited, 10000ZXL, 700ZXL, 700ZXe, ZX9, ZX7, 680ZX, 670ZX, 682ZX, CR7 and then the Dragon, in that order.......and the CR7 IMHO sounds closer to any CD player I have ever heard. The old world( pre 1980) Naks are amongst the warmest cassette decks. Period.
Oh, by the way I see you are selling some gear on eBay and I am watching! ;)

ESL is extremely thorough in their restoration and a Dragon there will set you back more like $3000 today. Willy is pretty good too but unless you tell him to, he will rectify issues with your deck and the charges will be nominal. Both are very reliable service stations. I have visited both and used both, Willy, of course a lot more due to his price point!

Last edited:
Rajiv, No other deck in my experience beats Nakamichis. Not Revox, not Studer, not LUxman K-04/5( aka Alpine Al85-90) not TEAC Z series, not Tandberg. None. I have had all these side by side and none beat even the 680ZX in the rack. None!

Wow !! You guys completely missed one of the most important point in my post. That's my preference. Now who can question that :)

Nowhere I mentioned that one deck is better than other. Like a fine whiskey or a car, it's all about preferences. My ZX-9 is serviced by Perry. It's in top condition. But I liked Revox sound. Does it mean that Revox is better than ZX-9? Nak decks are louder than most other decks ( At least the decks which I own ). My 682ZX is in pristine condition which is my most favorite Nak. But for whatever reasons, I always use ( used to use), Revox. It's easy to use, easy to record & sounds fantastic..

When I did an A to B test, I found that all my Naks give more crispier sound with excellent details. Not muddier like some cassette decks.. I have a ADC 525X equalizer & sometimes, I have to adjust higher frequencies to get my preferred sound from a Nak. Yes, Nak reads tapes superbly & gives excellent details. But I just don't prefer it's sound. That's all folks ??

Hmmm, you use an equalizer. In my books that perhaps indicates your system wanting something somewhere and therefore requiring the introduction of something into the signal path with an equalizer. I myself have never needed an EQ with any of the high end equipment whatsoever.

Also, I never intended to question your like. Hence the Use of the word subjective in my first reply to your post.

That's all. Peace!

No Ram, it's not the system that has any problem. It's the source that's garbage. I mean, the recording quality ( can I use that word here ), of 90s cassette is not something we appreciate everyday ! So, even if we have some of the best speakers & amp, the law of physics remains same. That is garbage in, garbage out. When I use a high quality CD or even SACD, I don't have to use EQ.

Typical audiophiles hate EQs. I went through that phase, to avoid the 'extra components' in the signal path !! Heck, I even used high quality passive pre amps to avoid those 'extras'. Power conditioners, high end power cords, silver cables !! You know right, the kind of craziness we do !!!

EQs are not considered as audiophile (??) approved components. As mentioned, I avoided them like plague for many years, after reading various forums. Most of the time, we try to cut corners when it comes to EQs. There is nothing worse than a bad EQ in any high end system. On the other hand, investing on a high quality, top of the line EQ significantly improves the listening experience. So my actual experience with EQ is dramatically different from the learning I got from Internet forums !! Either we can continue to hear that 'pure' garbage signals without an EQ or musically enhance signals with EQs or bass/treble knobs or even loudness button !!! But remember, keep it as a dirty secret & don't tell this to your audiophile friends :)

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back