Showcase your cassette deck

ogvfKmc.jpg

Tw0HKoW.jpg

Akai HX-3
Bought it locally few days back. Everything is working fine except one thing. It has this auto tape selector functionality, while playing the tape type indicator jumping between "Normal" and "Metal" indicators (sound also changes).

Yes. the Dragon sounds a bit more in depth. the bass is tighter and it has a laid back but authoritative soundstage. Dragon's advantage is the double DD motors and the NAAC. A terribly complicated deck put together internally equally haphazardly! One of the worst decks' to service.

One of the untold secrets of Nakamichi is the 660-682 series decks. These have some of the most sophisticated bass in Naks. The 680 and the 680zx being the top notch for bass. Great to listen to jazz and blues.
Anyone ever try the 680Zx's half speed capability? ;)

@purana pandit
Upload them to any of the photo sharing sites and paste the link in the insert image dialog.

Last edited:
Here's my Revox B 215. Did a B 215 Vs ZX-9 test and ZX-9 won by a very small margin :). Nak is bit louder. B 215 can easily be in the '10 all time best cassette deck' list & it is also considered as the best deck for recording, even better than ZX-9 !!! Will test & share the result

15775116341_edb94670b4_h.jpg

15591826247_86fb678a66_b.jpg

15775113311_55b28d433d_b.jpg

15591822487_7e8631ca9b_b.jpg

15592172470_8b538fd989_b.jpg

15777060705_c054bb1449_b.jpg

- Manoj

Last edited:
Great great share Manoj ji.Revox is a superb deck but am told its not as transparent and detailed a sound as a Nak. I know of some1 who had 2 of these and a Studer A721 and ended up selling all. The sound is on the tinny side. Too much treble, with the bass a bit muddy and mid range good. According to the person concerned a Zx9 will slaughter it.

But yes it is the only other deck with a dual capstan direct drive and the only cassette deck besides the Studer that has no belts!

Great great share Manoj ji.Revox is a superb deck but am told its not as transparent and detailed a sound as a Nak. I know of some1 who had 2 of these and a Studer A721 and ended up selling all. The sound is on the tinny side. Too much treble, with the bass a bit muddy and mid range good. According to the person concerned a Zx9 will slaughter it.

But yes it is the only other deck with a dual capstan direct drive and the only cassette deck besides the Studer that has no belts!

Jayant, Manoj, the Dragon from the house of nak is a deck with no capstan belts, however, it isn't a belt free deck. That accolade like Jayant mentions is a Revox/ Studer exclusive.
I personally like the damped Nak cam mechanism that is belt operated, rather than the solenoid jerky engagement of the Revox, even though it requires a belt.
I also prefer the idler driven reel drive of the naks as opposed to the Revox/ Studer dd motor on the reels.
Finally, the Revox heads are Siamese in nature even though they are 3 head machines. NAk heads are floaters and have better frequency response and that's why, in the end, a Nak will outshine others, including Tandbergs, Revox and TEACs!

Here are my Cassette Decks collection...

Yamaha K-850, Onkyo TA-2830, Nakamichi DR-10, Sony TC-WR565.

ONKYO TA-2830 : This is my new day to day working horse. Use all type of cassettes because of it's simple mechanism, common 3mm flat belt and standard head. Natural sound. Works well with all type of music.

Nakamichi DR-10 : This is the best source in my collection and even much better than my CD player CD6004. Works well with modern music especially Jazz. Using for critical listening and recording.

Yamaha K-850 : I am a big fan of it's vintage look. Tube kind sound. Using for classical and old songs.

Sony TC-WR565 : A good sounding double cassette auto reverse deck. Use based on mood mainly Tamil Echo cassettes.

After a long time, I am posting and could not resist - What wonderful decks, if only we could turn back the clock to the late 1970s and early 1980s. If you had even one of these back then, you'd be the hero around town. Having said that, these decks are very valuable for the select few like us who love and maintain cassette collections.

16523869082_d692a94ef8_b.jpg

15902292654_45bdc46b9f_b.jpg

Another extra ordinary deck. Aiwa XK-S 9000. This is considered as best Aiwa deck. I find it on the warmer side. Sounds like a great cassette player unlike top end Nakamichi decks which give CD like sound.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back