Showcase your Open Reel to Reel recorders

Technics_Fan

Greeting FMs. I am starting this new thread for all of us here to showcase their Reel to reel recorders.

I hope this is not a redundant thread.

It would be worthwhile if you can share the photos alongside a two liner describing your take on the model.

Warm Regards,
Technics_Fan

Let me inaugurate this thread by sharing my small collection of RTR.

I have the following RTR recorders

Sony TC-366 (Upto 7" reels)
Sony TC-272 (Upto 7" reels)
Philips EL-3551A (Upto 5 3/4" reels)
National RQ-401S (Upto 4" reels)
Aiwa TP-708 (Upto 4" reels)

1. ) Sony TC-366

Here is my Sony TC 366 3 head RTR deck. When i got this the rubber parts in the transport need some replacement and routine TLC. This is now in great working order. This is single motor transport as in many Sony's of the 60's 70's era but does a great job of recording and playing back. The noise suppress does seem to be quite effective and does to seem to cut too much of the HF signal.
SONY-TC366-1_zps031dadef.jpg

SONY-TC366-2_zps1c5089ad.jpg

SONY-TC366-3_zps7143f72b.jpg

SONY-TC366-5_zps9bee1cf7.jpg

SONY-TC366-4_zps6af74dce.jpg

SONY-TC366-6_zpsfa14d1d5.jpg

More images on other units to follow soon.

Warm Regards,
Technics_Fan

Next on the list is Sony TC 272.
This a 2 track mono recorder and uses Tubes for audio amplification and rectification. This uses a AC 187 germanium transistor at the pre amplification stage and 2 6AV6's make a push pull amplification stage. The transport is built very well with no belts. Does a really good job of record / playback.

SONY-TC272-1_zps51cee479.jpg

SONY-TC272-3_zpsfcf1be18.jpg

SONY-TC272-5_zps2351428b.jpg

SONY-TC272-2_zpsdffd41c0.jpg

@ReubenSM Your AKAI GX looks neat.

Well here is look at me Philips EL-3551 made by Philips holland.
It is a four-track mono recorder with amazing recording / playback quality.
Of couse when I got it it was DOA. Had to rebuild the the transport and rubber part were bad. Also had to replace all electrolytics as they were completely dried out. Some the test recording mad on my scotch reels were so close to cd quality. IMHO i would consider this a better 4 track unit that Philips / Norelco built.

Philips-EL3551A-1_zpsde51353e.jpg

Philips-EL3551A-2_zpsa4d6aeb1.jpg

Philips-EL3551A-4_zpsefae7e00.jpg

Philips-EL3551A-3_zps5ebe38ff.jpg

Philips-EL3551A-5_zpsa27a38f5.jpg

Last but not the least my National RQ-401S.

Nifty little unit from Matsushita line with the convenience of recording and playing back in both direction. This feature was marketed as Reverse-a-Track by National. It uses 2 record / playback head and 2 erase heads one for each direction. AC bias of course. I have the original leather jacket but unfortunately it has shrunk over the years.

National-RQ401S-1_zps356a9cca.jpg

National-RQ401S-2_zps8a1cbf58.jpg

National-RQ401S-3_zpsa29b9921.jpg

National-RQ401S-5_zps6ed22d6a.jpg

National-RQ401S-4_zps4deda47c.jpg

National-RQ401S-6_zps7ad1496d.jpg

What lovely stuff. Do you service these decks by yourself?

Yes indeed. I am very passionate about servicing / restoring vintage audio equipments both mechanically and electronically. Trust me there is a great sense of accomplishment and self satisfaction when you solely bring a dead / dysfunctional equipment to back to life.
I am very temperamental about giving my stuff to other technicians for various well known reasons. Of course, it has taken me years to acquire the relevant experience and exposure (thanks to various internet forums / YouTube and ofcourse the vintage audio community itself for sharing their story).

I consider my vintage piece of equipment as an art and would like to have every single component inside spic and span. :)

Warm Regards,
Technics_Fan

Great stuff. But do u get reels now to listen to?

Well you will have to patiently search for them and of-course the condition of the reel is also important when you buy from flea market / dealers.

Prerecorded reels are not available in India and they have to be imported. I believe the pre recorded reels never got introduced in India.Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have in my possession a bunch of reels (50+ mostly 7" and few 5" and 4" as well) which belongs to my Father and Uncle. Most of it contains old precious recording ( mostly Carnatic music) which i will be digitizing soon.

I was lucky enough to get a bunch of brand new sealed Sony PR-150-5 here in Chennai few years ago.

PA310123_zps54aabf49.jpg

PA310124_zps9cc00b7b.jpg

Mohan music @ Ritchie street and Rhythm Musicals @ Moor Market are the places in Chennai to watch out for as they seem to have pile stock of old recorded 7" reels / sometimes even blanks.

Warm Regards,
Technics_Fan

Last edited:
@Technics_Fan - Stupendous! I'm just blown away looking at that deck collection of yours. I had that very same Sony TC Reel Deck in mint condition with the original acrylic cover which I gave away as I realized just too many formats for me to manage. Vinyl is my way and that already has lots to do :).

You seem to be a true vintage die hard fan of reel decks. Cheers!

Thanks a lot Technics Fan.

I am into mostly Retro Hindi Music and I sincerely doubt whether Reels of those will at all be available in India or imported.

Thanks a lot Technics Fan.

I am into mostly Retro Hindi Music and I sincerely doubt whether Reels of those will at all be available in India or imported.

AFAIK, OSTs of Bollywood muvee R2R were not a format of release during that era. Most of the R2Rs are recorded from vinyl. Those recording are very dynamic to listen.

@Technics_Fan - Stupendous! I'm just blown away looking at that deck collection of yours. I had that very same Sony TC Reel Deck in mint condition with the original acrylic cover which I gave away as I realized just too many formats for me to manage. Vinyl is my way and that already has lots to do :).

You seem to be a true vintage die hard fan of reel decks. Cheers!

Thanks for your kind words. I am still trying to find a TOTL R2R preferably a Technics RS-1700. Have no hopes of getting it in India (given up after a prolonged search):mad: Will have to source it from NA.

On another note, now my Sony TC-366 is completely ripped apart for a total Recap. The electolytics have gone dry and just like other Sonys the wiring is a complete mess with no removable connectors :annoyed:. Waiting for the replacement Nichicon audio grade caps to arrive.

Warm Regards,
Technics_Fan

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back