SL-1200 MK2 Cart Upgrade Suggestions

Record Player

Evening Everybody,

Im looking at trying a different cart for me Technics twelve hundred. Ive never really ventured above and beyond the Shure M97xE and the M44-7s. The deck is bone stock, apart from an RCA upgrade with the original technics head-shell. Paired with a vintage NAD 3020i Amp and Epos Epic bookshelf speakers.

Looking for suggestions and something which wont burn too big of a hole in me pockets. Ive really enjoyed the M-447s however would really like to get a taste of whats next :) Built me a dedicated stereo setup now and Im back to my late night vinyl sessions.

Cheers,
RP

Nagaoka has an India Dealer...MP 200 might be in range.

Denon 103 maybe ?..this is an MC cart

Goldring 1042 ?

I guess the Nad 3020 amp has an internal Phono stage and you might be happy with that !

Have money...enter wonderland ( rabbit hole ) :))

Ever thought of going back to sleep with what you've got ?

:))

Nagaoka has an India Dealer...MP 200 might be in range.

Denon 103 maybe ?

I guess the Nad 3020 amp has an internal Phono stage and you might be happy with that !

Have money...enter wonderland ( rabbit hole ) :))

Ever thought of going back to sleep with what you've got ?

:))

Ive really been thinking of the DL-103-R with additional counterweight thats required for the stock tonearm. The NAD does have a very good phono. Ive been down too many rabbit holes in the past, cant dig no more.

Going back to sleep with what I have is definitely an option hahaha, well said mate!

You know well...once you achieve system balance it's best to leave it alone.

A change in 1 variable will affect the balance...

My experience with a Technics SL1200 and Denon DL 103 was good.

But a lot depends on the Phono.. and then we stretch to get a SUT... for the DL 103

Maybe other opinions will help.

Enjoy the music !

In my experience a DL 103 wasn't a good match for the stock 1200 arm (effective mass circa 12 grams). The 103 starts to sing with higher effective mass arms.

I have never paired my Nagaoka MP110 ($125-135-ish) with the 1200 but I'm guessing it will be a fine match. I love my MP110 and I like it better in many areas than my DL 103 when mounted on the same arm (but obviously different phonos). MP200 is a huge step up to MP110 but won't come in the stated budget.

In my experience a DL 103 wasn't a good match for the stock 1200 arm (effective mass circa 12 grams). The 103 starts to sing with higher effective mass arms.

I have never paired my Nagaoka MP110 ($125-135-ish) with the 1200 but I'm guessing it will be a fine match. I love my MP110 and I like it better in many areas than my DL 103 when mounted on the same arm (but obviously different phonos). MP200 is a huge step up to MP110 but won't come in the stated budget.

Agree, maybe with a Jelco 750D arm it may go well, but then thats again upgrades! The MP110 seems a good contender really and seems the right choice considering my NAD Phono. Thanks Joshua, as always very helpful you.

My suggestion is find a old Technics EPC270C cartridge + New Jico or Nagaoka elliptical stylus. It works well for Indian music.
If you listen more English albums then try Nagaoka MP150 or 200. It gives bit more micro details than EPC270C.

No. Nagaoka still making replacement stylus for Technics EPC270C cartridges.
Model is G28-270ED (elliptical) and G28-270SD (Conical).
Thank you Selvin. In your experience, which type stylus you prefer for the records of Indian film songs and for very good (not mint) condition records, G28-270ED or G28-270SD ? Thank you.

Thank you Selvin. In your experience, which type stylus you prefer for the records of Indian film songs and for very good (not mint) condition records, G28-270ED or G28-270SD ? Thank you.
If your records are 85% or better condition go ahead with elliptical stylus.

You may also read my old review of Jico and Nagaoka stylus in the below path.

May consider Denon DL 110. It is a high out put MC and pairs well with SL 1200 stock arm.
There are buying options out there within the OP's Budget

If you want a Sumiko blue point no 2 or a blue point Evo pm me. I have them lying around and can let you have em for a reasonable price that we agree on. Both are excellent carts tons of reviews. High output so no mc phono required. Will come well under your budget

RP, I have used Ortofon, Grado, Denon 103R and now 301Mk2. It is close between the 2 Denon's, but I feel 103R beats the others easily. My recommendation would be to go for the 103R with the additional counterweights and a heavier head-shell

Nagaoka MP 110 is now my daily cart for 1200 MK II. An excellent VFM and my horizon is Bollywood oldies only. Shure carts are definitely my love though. Shure V15type III with JICO non SAS styli will remain most efficient cart on near mint records. The test set is Bollywood oldies only. I think tonearm is Jelco and silver rewired by a renowned Kolkata technician.

Thanks,
Sourav

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back