Slow Build : 5.1.2 | ₹ ~ 1L | 11' X 16.5' Living room

thetourer

Hello everyone,

Basically the title. I am looking for the below setup, is there something I can do better for my money?

My Hardware:

Output:
- Sony W672G 47" TV (Prime/Netflix is inbuilt, its not android TV, but I hope it would work, if anyone has any inputs, I'd appreciate it)
- MAYBE, just MAYBE add a projector setup in future when I got some space. but if I do this, I most probably would get rid of the TV. nothing planned yet. this is too far into future.

Input:
- OSMC on my Pi
- Gaming PC
- Tata Sky
- MAYBE, just MAYBE add a PS5 in future. nothing planned yet. this is too far into future.

what I'm looking for:

- 5.1.2 surround & media at home with some good music (50%) and movies & TV (50%),
- As much amazing soundstage as possible, I love an amazing soundstage if I can pinpoint what is playing where.
- I'd love to add my PC output through HDMI and start gaming as well (in future).
- Proper, atleast as close as possible to Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 with available resources.

what I'm NOT looking for :p:

- To give heart attack/wake up my neighbors
- getting thrown out of my apartment

so I'll be basically keeping volumes at ~ 40% & I need some quality audio.

My audio taste: neutral music with a touch of base. think natural music but leaning about 10% on the warmer side. if anyone has the Bose Soundsport Free, on those lines. OR slightly more base on on the AudioTechnica's ATH M50X, but with some very good soundstage & depth to the audio. to be able to say what is coming from where.

Where I want this setup: Vijayawada

Who/how to set it up: guess I have to DIY the wiring, and I'd love that, just need some guidance & I'm sure I can get it done.

Currently at Hyderabad for some personal work & here till the lockdown eases further. I'm saving up now, not sure when I'll be able to pick them up, but it's a slow build, but I'd like to save up & pick them all at once & hook the setup at my home myself and start enjoying the Dolby Atmos. I do have some experience in fixing wiring & stuff at home & electronics (not sure if fixing wiring for my vaccum cleaner & roti maker counts) so I do have a drill & the needed hardware & basic experience to wall mount stuff. I hope I can do the wiring also myself correctly.

With that, below is my current pick based on my research & currently available information, need your inputs in turning it better. the prices are approx & I've roamed locally in Hyderabad taking auditions & tests before finalizing on the below:

ComponentModelAmount
AV ReceiverYamaha - 585
47600​
SubSunfire SDS-8
47000​
MidTaga C90-SL
12500​
L & RQ Acoustics Concept 20
40000​
Rear SurroundJBL Control 1 Pro
10000​
Top SurroundJBL Control 1 Pro
10000​
Total

Why did I pick the above combination:

AV Receiver : I love to have something related to Yamaha Audio in my home, I don't know why, I just love it. seeing a lot of artists using Yamaha instruments, it makes me feel different about Yamaha. something upscale or a level higher. but if I have better option for my money, I'm open to it. I initially was looking at Pioneer, but nobody here in Hyderabad seems to be supportive about it.

What I need in AV Receiver:

- 5.1.2 Support
- Bluetooth
- At least 4 HDMI inputs

Sub : I first auditioned for the Taga 606 - I was impressed, but then found the base to be perfect & tight & controlled. I was wondering what's up, check & found he was using a SunFire SDS-12. I really loved it. so looked & trying to fix on the SunFire SDS-8 Inch passive/active sub.

Mid : Just shooting in the dark here, no idea what's good, but one dealer recommended Heco Victa prime 102. he said its good & quoted 12K for it. If anyone can tell me about Heco, I'd much appreciate it. Based on specifications, i'm looking at Taga C90-SL. but I'd love a proper mid with a very good depth. He said that it's pretty much better than the Wharfedale's more expensive Diamond mid.

L & R : I was impressed with the 606s and the dealer recommended to go to 606i, then I saw the Q Acoustics 3050 & asked for a demo. I was even more impressed. Did some digging, spoke a to a friend who is a member here & introduced the bug that bit me for a HT setup for my home. He said since I'm getting a dedicated sub, I need to focus on quality mids & highs for them. So, I found too much base literally everywhere else I've been, I know its all about the tuning still, need better value for my ₹₹₹.

I started to see reviews & was trying to figure out how to fit that into my budget, then came across this & this and finally decided on the Concept 20 for quality Mid & Highs. Then, auditioned the Heco Victa Prime 702, I did feel pretty good depth & the soundstage was decent among the multiple songs I played on bluetooth, I know its not something I can judge on, but I only had that option. any inputs here is good.

If I got the book shelf type & simply replace my current book shelf speakers or do I need to make a stand and then place them on it?

Surrounds: I have Edifier R1280DB, not sure how I can repurpose them, they are powered, not passive like all these. so looking at the JBL pairs for the surrounds. Light, I've heard on youtube & they sound good enough to me :p

below are the alternatives from what I've heard & the quotes from dealers around here:

Vector HyderabadAutomations HyderabadUSK Hyderabad
ComponentModelAmountModelAmountModelAmountModelAmountModelAmount
AV ReceiverYamaha - 585
47000​
Yamaha - 585
47600​
SubEarthquake
40000​
SunFire SDS-12
74000​
Yamaha 315
27990​
Polk OWM3
17000​
MidHeco - Victaprime 102
12000​
Yamaha NSC 444
14000​
Polk S30
25000​
L & RHeco - Victaprime 702
48900​
Wharfedale Diamond 11.3
60000​
Qacoustics 3050i
70000​
Yamaha 555
49482​
Polk S50
47500​
Notes10% Discount

Below is my house plan, My living room is L shaped, I hope I can use some good curtains & cutoff the dining & make it better acoustically (hopefully).

Screenshot_2020-07-25 Floor-plan jpg (JPEG Image, 2990 × 1483 pixels).png

below are the only images I have of my hall. it has two fans. its a rented place. there's false ceiling with lights and all. so cutting a hole & pushing roof speakers aren't really an option, besides its too much work.

One advantage I have is that there's one wiring space for me from behind the TV till the junction box on the first image below, the box is to the right of my prayer spot. from where the yellow internet wire is coming out.

So, I can route some wires from there and fix the rear/ceiling speakers.

IMG_20200406_061813.jpg

also, the PC table is exactly where the window on the hall is on the right, below the AC on the below image. the PC table is 1.5' X 2.2' approx. this is an older image, but its what i have.

The sofa is about 6' from the TV. so what I'm planning is to have rear surrounds 1' above my ear level on left & right walls. but I'm open for better placements.

I'm planning to keep the sub beside the PC table, about 45 degrees behind my sofa on the right. approximately the "NZXT" box on the left in above image.

IMG_20200406_061819.jpg

Limitations:

- False ceiling is something I can't cut & push speakers into them. Too much work & cost. & I might stay there for a couple years tops. nothing too long. It's a rented place.
- How much ₹₹₹ should I allocate for this little project? an estimate should do. these are mostly custom stuff.
- If I got the book shelf type & simply replace my current book shelf speakers or do I need to make a stand and then place them on it?
- There's a PC table that's about the width of the window & extends out about 1.5' towards the living area.
- Two Fans on the ceiling of the long hall

Below is my solution to hang it on a extended plank screwed onto the wall that's parallel to the ceiling on either side:

OR

I can use a single plank and "connect" the two ends of the wall, run a wooden plank parallel to my ceiling across the hall connecting the two walls & mount the speakers on the wood plank.

Not sure if the cost will be worth it, the aesthetics of a big plank of wood on top of my head mounted speakers on them, I can think of some ideas to make them look nice & aesthetically pleasing as well. but the placement is what I'm worried, I got two ceiling fans for the hall. so directly above the sofa, is the open space between the two fans.

I also am not sure how much ₹₹₹ should I allocate for this kind of fabrication on wood.

1595714716387.png

I'm in no hurry absolutely & I'll take many months from now till I finish this build. But I'm looking at fine tuning & perfecting & planning my setup with the available time.

Any upcoming models recommendationions are also welcome.

Thank you,
Ajay

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-25 Floor-plan jpg (JPEG Image, 2990 × 1483 pixels).png
    Screenshot_2020-07-25 Floor-plan jpg (JPEG Image, 2990 × 1483 pixels).png
    312.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1595714449868.png
    1595714449868.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 8
Hi @thetourer (Ajay), I am not into HT, so can’t comment on your choices. But I wanted to appreciate the way you’ve thought through, constructed and written the post. What do you do for a living? You can easily have a side career in content writing! :)

Hi @thetourer (Ajay), I am not into HT, so can’t comment on your choices. But I wanted to appreciate the way you’ve thought through, constructed and written the post. What do you do for a living? You can easily have a side career in content writing! :)

Hi, thank you for your kind words. I am into banking. I used to write when I was a kid to local newspaper articles & all, it was a really long time ago. I'm mostly into emails, presentation and reporting at office right now.

The reason for this post is that I've read a lot of queries & threads here & wanted to answer as many questions as possible in one post. Also I'd like the gurus here to know exactly what I'm looking for & what I did to achieve my goal. I know that I have to do all these by myself. none of the gurus here can be present with me when I'm going through here, but the guidance is why I am coming here with my research so that my research can be "peer reviewed" ;) and commented for making it better before execution. I'm still in planning phase of my setup, gathering information.

The problem is that when I explain the same to the local guys here, two of them turned me away telling that I'm confused & need to sort myself out about what I want and then come to them. :rolleyes: Many of the local suppliers aren't interested in trying to help me, just want to sell & move on despite what they keep telling about trying to help me. Just one guy spent 1 hour on phone having a good conversation & helped me think more. I guess I'll be picking up my gear from him and avoiding the others. Atleast he shared some knowledge with me and was patient to hear my side of the story.

What I don't understand is that these guys here instead of convincing me to spend on some quality stuff when I mention my budget as 1L, they look at me like I'm some choosing-beggar. Then they boast of some project worth 5L, 10L or 30L and all, sometimes I think that they made just one project & took off and still bathing in the old glory instead of focusing on moving on & succeeding further.

So with my experience & research & knowledge gained so far, I'm trying to match my available resources to my end goal with least cost. Hence, dedicating max time to planning. Execution takes hardly a couple of days. I take months to make the kind of money that I'm going to spend, so I believe its only fair I put in some quality brain-work here in planning so that the brawn-work of execution is seamless.

I would recommend to spend 15k more and go with the Concept Centre. The movie sound moves/gets distributed much more between the fronts and the center and when there is a difference in sound signature it becomes noticable and also doesn't provide a similar sound stage

Hi Ajay,
Awesome write up. I'm sure the experienced members here will help you out with your queries.

I'm just adding my thoughts on choice of your AVR based on my experience. If you intend to use this setup for music as well then definitely go with Yamaha. If not, look at the Denon, which is excellent for movies.
Even with the Yamaha AVR you have mentioned, the price is a bit on the higher side. Try to get the Yamaha RX-V685, it should be around the 50k mark. The advantage I see is, it has pre-out for front. So in future you can always add external amp to power your fronts, this will take some load off of you AVR.

I would recommend to spend 15k more and go with the Concept Centre. The movie sound moves/gets distributed much more between the fronts and the center and when there is a difference in sound signature it becomes noticable and also doesn't provide a similar sound stage

Those things cost just as much as my L & R!! I'm sure it'll be very good, but is it worth it? would it pair well with the Concept 20?

I love a good soundstage, so these will be worth the ₹₹ right? I never got a chance to listen to any of the center channels.

Hi Ajay,
Awesome write up. I'm sure the experienced members here will help you out with your queries.

I'm just adding my thoughts on choice of your AVR based on my experience. If you intend to use this setup for music as well then definitely go with Yamaha. If not, look at the Denon, which is excellent for movies.
Even with the Yamaha AVR you have mentioned, the price is a bit on the higher side. Try to get the Yamaha RX-V685, it should be around the 50k mark. The advantage I see is, it has pre-out for front. So in future you can always add external amp to power your fronts, this will take some load off of you AVR.

Thanks, yes this setup is for music as well. I'd like to listen to some good beats while I'm cooking or doing some work. the RX-V685 is more expensive but I'm not able to justify the additional "Features" that I may not even use. again, I'm looking to get a life of atleast 5 years out of these.
So, if I pick up the V685 for 10K more, I'll just add an amp & extend the life of my setup to make it a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2? would that work or it'll be a zone B alternative? because I've checked the prices of amps, they cost about half or compete just as much as these AV receivers, might as well pick up a new one when upgrading after say 5 or 10 years? hopefully HDMI remains alive till that time. I guess these AVs aren't really future proof, not even 5 years?
The thing is I'm not able to justify the 10K price difference.

EDIT:

The 685 says PreOut as 2.2CH
The 585 says PreOut as Subwoofer (2 x mono)

I'm not able to comprehend those two specifications. also, I saw the sub doesn't have a single port, but rather 4 ports (2 inputs & 2 outputs), me being new to all this, any guidance is helpful, youtube videos confused me little more since the subs there are slightly different.

EDIT 2:

okay, went through the manual & specifications again, so how does that work? if I use the pre, then the normal L & R gets disabled & I can't use it for something else. this setup seems capable for a 9.2.4 with that number of ports but I doubt with the limitation, I'll be able to use it further. maybe get enabled in future software update?

Last edited:
Those things cost just as much as my L & R!! I'm sure it'll be very good, but is it worth it? would it pair well with the Concept 20?

I love a good soundstage, so these will be worth the ₹₹ right? I never got a chance to listen to any of the center channels.

Thanks, yes this setup is for music as well. I'd like to listen to some good beats while I'm cooking or doing some work. the RX-V685 is more expensive but I'm not able to justify the additional "Features" that I may not even use. again, I'm looking to get a life of atleast 5 years out of these.
So, if I pick up the V685 for 10K more, I'll just add an amp & extend the life of my setup to make it a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2? would that work or it'll be a zone B alternative? because I've checked the prices of amps, they cost about half or compete just as much as these AV receivers, might as well pick up a new one when upgrading after say 5 or 10 years? hopefully HDMI remains alive till that time. I guess these AVs aren't really future proof, not even 5 years?
The thing is I'm not able to justify the 10K price difference.

EDIT:

The 685 says PreOut as 2.2CH
The 585 says PreOut as Subwoofer (2 x mono)

I'm not able to comprehend those two specifications. also, I saw the sub doesn't have a single port, but rather 4 ports (2 inputs & 2 outputs), me being new to all this, any guidance is helpful, youtube videos confused me little more since the subs there are slightly different.

That's how center speakers are priced. They would be around 70% of the bookshelf price. I am sure they would be worth it , I use a 3090i center and they are worth the price. At a minimum would recommend you to go for the 3090i center.

That's how center speakers are priced. They would be around 70% of the bookshelf price. I am sure they would be worth it , I use a 3090i center and they are worth the price. At a minimum would recommend you to go for the 3090i center.

The 2 subwoofer pre-outs would be present in all receivers having .2 as the second decimal ( for eg. 7.2 receiver would allow you to add 7 speakers and 2 subs). The pre-out Kiran is referring to are additional pre-out for front speakers, you can further add a power amp to drive your front speakers if you ever feel the need for more power.

The 2 subwoofer pre-outs would be present in all receivers having .2 as the second decimal ( for eg. 7.2 receiver would allow you to add 7 speakers and 2 subs). The pre-out Kiran is referring to are additional pre-out for front speakers, you can further add a power amp to drive your front speakers if you ever feel the need for more power.

if you ever feel the need for more power.
:p

1595746089626.png

updated the post with more questions :)

EDIT: I'm not sure about power because I don't want to go beyond ~40-50% volume because I don't want to be thrown out of my house for making too much noise. It's an apartment. would that extra power justify?

ohh, okay, so a good mid would give me better depth, so for the Concept 20, you would say a minimum of 3090i, but a good combo is the Concept Center. okay, I'll make that note. Is there anything better for price/performance at that price? or do I go with one of these two?

EDIT: okay, per this, I'm leaning towards your point. since the 3050i towers & the Concept 20s are pretty similar (except base), I guess theoretically, they must give me the my dream-soundstage.

now my updated plan looks like this, I'm inching towards the 2L point, while I started off with 1L point:

ComponentModelAmount
AV ReceiverYamaha - 585
47600​
SubSunfire SDS-8
47000​
MidQ Acoustics Concept Centre
27000​
L & RQ Acoustics Concept 20
40000​
Rear SurroundJBL Control 1 Pro
10000​
Top SurroundJBL Control 1 Pro
10000​
Total

Last edited:
EDIT 2:

okay, went through the manual & specifications again, so how does that work? if I use the pre, then the normal L & R gets disabled & I can't use it for something else. this setup seems capable for a 9.2.4 with that number of ports but I doubt with the limitation, I'll be able to use it further. maybe get enabled in future software update?

The number of speaker output ports on back of the Yamaha RX-V685 might confuse you. But the AVR is capable of only 7.2 and not any higher. You can either connect the surround-rear or the height, and hence the individual output ports. Only one of the 2 ports will be active at a time.

Last edited:
My 2 cents - get a Bic America PL 200 ii instead of Sunfire.
Get an used AVR at around 25k. You can upgrade 2 years down the line. Speakers outlast AVRs significantly. I got a very good condition and rarely used x1400h at a reasonable price 14 months back and I am not complaining. Maybe I will upgrade after 2 more years but the power is sufficient for my kind of usage. Just watched Overlord today and the opening 15 minutes made me grin!
Spend most of your money on the front 3. JBL Control is a good choice for heights since you won't require much from height speakers anyways. But for rear surrounds, you should stretch a little more. Maybe a pair of Mission LX 1/LX 2.
For your front 3, you can consider Dali Oberon series apart from QA. Oberon series has got very good expert and user reviews.

You are going the right way forward.
Some suggestions - do audition the combo of speakers and avr you finalise on.
I would also suggest to look for better alternatives for rear surrounds (if budget permits)
Also if budget is tight I will advice you to skip on the centre speaker for now instead of getting a cheap centre speaker. I don't use a centre speaker and I honestly don't miss it.

it's a mix of music & movies.

If into movies, you definitely need to have a LOT of focus on the center!

it's pretty difficult to get an audition of the combo that I'm planning to pick up. any suggestions for the rear surrounds?

You are going the right way forward.
Some suggestions - do audition the combo of speakers and avr you finalise on.
I would also suggest to look for better alternatives for rear surrounds (if budget permits)
Also if budget is tight I will advice you to skip on the centre speaker for now instead of getting a cheap centre speaker. I don't use a centre speaker and I honestly don't miss it.

okay, I did some research on the Oberon series & stumbled upon the KEF Q350.

My initial plan is for Concept 20 for about 40K, then the Dali Oberon 1 is 36K, slightly cheaper, I can save some here & push towards better surrounds. Or are you speaking about the Dali oberon 3 (54K)? wouldn't I have to change the mid to Oberon Vokal 33K, then that's a too steep increase of about 20K in my budget, is it worth it?

The only thing with the Q350 is it costs as much as a full tower, but the soundstage is what I'm attracted towards it for. Again, bad in low volumes unline Oberon, I'm not sure if it'll be worth the price. I'm living in apartment & don't want to keep high volume for the performance.

any particular reason for the BIC America over the Sunfire? how's the after sales in case of any help?

My 2 cents - get a Bic America PL 200 ii instead of Sunfire.
Get an used AVR at around 25k. You can upgrade 2 years down the line. Speakers outlast AVRs significantly. I got a very good condition and rarely used x1400h at a reasonable price 14 months back and I am not complaining. Maybe I will upgrade after 2 more years but the power is sufficient for my kind of usage. Just watched Overlord today and the opening 15 minutes made me grin!
Spend most of your money on the front 3. JBL Control is a good choice for heights since you won't require much from height speakers anyways. But for rear surrounds, you should stretch a little more. Maybe a pair of Mission LX 1/LX 2.
For your front 3, you can consider Dali Oberon series apart from QA. Oberon series has got very good expert and user reviews.

If into movies, you definitely need to have a LOT of focus on the center!
I don't own a HT, but I get a good centre image in my stereo setup. The fronts are capable of that. Is the center channel absolutely necessary in that case? Don't mind if the question sounds silly
The only thing with the Q350 is it costs as much as a full tower, but the soundstage is what I'm attracted towards it for. Again, bad in low volumes unline Oberon, I'm not sure if it'll be worth the price. I'm living in apartment & don't want to keep high volume for the performance.
KEF Q350 as fronts will definitely be a better choice than the Dali's in my opinion. But I don't understand how you claim the Q350s can't do well with low volumes. They are easy loads on the AVR/amp than the Dali's. Also investing in good fronts is better in the long run, you can always switch amps or even look at pre-owned amps/AVRs.

any particular reason for the BIC America over the Sunfire? how's the after sales in case of any help?
Is the Sunfire, a sealed sub?
BIC PL200II is a well regarded VFM sub for HT application and is available in India. There are few FMs who've recently bought the sub from an online retailer in Bangalore. So I assume, BIC has good after sales support in India.

I don't own a HT, but I get a good centre image in my stereo setup. The fronts are capable of that. Is the center channel absolutely necessary in that case? Don't mind if the question sounds silly

<snip>
If one does not have an AVR, a stereo setup can provide a phantom center.
With an AVR + center there are advantages. The voice/dialogs are firmly rooted.
Also AVR has Dolby modes for stereo input too, as is the case for some streaming services.
Think of phantom center as funnel-in towards MLP, and a real center channel as funnel out from speaker.

Cheers,
Raghu

I wonder that too. I’ve never owned a HT setup. But I use my 2.0 setup with Castle Knight 2 speakers when I want to watch some films in stereo mode. (Movies I watch generally don’t have special effects, so don’t speakers on the ceiling and behind). The dialogues are absolutely clear, tonality good, punchy and spatially correct But I that’s mainly because I sit at the middle. When I sit in a side sofa, the spatiality suffers; the dialogues don’t sound like they come from the center (when they are meant to), but off center towards the speaker I am close to. I suppose that might be remedied by a separate center speaker in a HT - it can make off center watching more pleasurable. And probably the center speaker is more tuned to human voice. Would like to understand from HT users/experts.

Answers in BOLD

I actually thought so too till I actually got the chance to experience with & without, trust me, with is better & worth it.

But there are very good bookshelf like the one I have right now (Edifier R1280DB) amazing for the price & the dialogues are clear, mind that I don't go beyond 50% volume ever on those. They are very bang for the bucks. 5* stuff right there. They are neutral, just adjusted the base & trebel knobs to my liking but they're very good but little lacking on base, but it's unfair to complain at that price point.

KEF Q350 as fronts will definitely be a better choice than the Dali's in my opinion. But I don't understand how you claim the Q350s can't do well with low volumes. They are easy loads on the AVR/amp than the Dali's. Also investing in good fronts is better in the long run, you can always switch amps or even look at pre-owned amps/AVRs.

These guys seem to disagree. Also, I am not into high volumes, small to medium because I live in an apartment.

Is the Sunfire, a sealed sub?
BIC PL200II is a well regarded VFM sub for HT application and is available in India. There are few FMs who've recently bought the sub from an online retailer in Bangalore. So I assume, BIC has good after sales support in India.

I did some searching around, I think the SunFire is a sealed one. Also, the BIC is slightly expensive but is a 12". The one I'm looking for is an 8". Don't want to rattle the whole apartment/building, just want some good tight base.

I am not a expert in HT, but I am also deligently working on building a HT for myself from last 4 6 weeks, in same budget of 2L. I have auditioned a few front, center and avr combos, so, one thing which I exprienced is few front and center can be good themselves, but they may not sound good when used together. Here are details of what i auditioned and experienced. (avr was marantz 6014, sub was elac 10.2/111.2, dont remember correctly, in all combination, unless mentioned other model)

Combination #1: taga 806 center + taga 806f : Sound and crossover between center and front was seamlesa.

Combination #2: taga 806 center + elac debut 2.0 floor: if you run them on 2ch only, then music/movie was good(for 2ch standard), After that when he switch to surround(806 center + elac floor), music was still good, but when i watched "bahubali" for 15min(luckily he got busy in other work), i felt previous combination was better since i was "experiencing" 2 different sounds.

Combination #3: elac floor + elac center: experience was again seamless and bahubali experience was now better.

Here is list of song and scene that I used:
Movies:
1. Game of Thrones : WildFire at Blackwater , youtube link :
, although It was played on bluray disc
2. Bahubali : Starting from "Kaun hai wo" Song to mid scene where he climbs the waterfall

Songs:
1. All I ever wanter : Basshunter
2. Bass I love you : Bassotronics
3. RideAway : Roy Orbinson,
4. HeavyWeight Bhangra : Ranjit Bawa
5. Baby Love : Nicole

Disclaimer : I am not comparing/reviewing/suggesting any speakers and these are completely my personal opinions and experience.

Result : I bought Taga harmony 806 5.0 speaker package.
Place : AV Zone, CR Park, Delhi

I am not a expert in HT, but I am also deligently working on building a HT for myself from last 4 6 weeks, in same budget of 2L. I have auditioned a few front, center and avr combos, so, one thing which I exprienced is few front and center can be good themselves, but they may not sound good when used together. Here are details of what i auditioned and experienced. (avr was marantz 6014, sub was elac 10.2/111.2, dont remember correctly, in all combination, unless mentioned other model)

Combination #1: taga 806 center + taga 806f : Sound and crossover between center and front was seamlesa.

Combination #2: taga 806 center + elac debut 2.0 floor: if you run them on 2ch only, then music/movie was good(for 2ch standard), After that when he switch to surround(806 center + elac floor), music was still good, but when i watched "bahubali" for 15min(luckily he got busy in other work), i felt previous combination was better since i was "experiencing" 2 different sounds.

Combination #3: elac floor + elac center: experience was again seamless and bahubali experience was now better.

Here is list of song and scene that I used:
Movies:
1. Game of Thrones : WildFire at Blackwater , youtube link :
, although It was played on bluray disc
2. Bahubali : Starting from "Kaun hai wo" Song to mid scene where he climbs the waterfall

Songs:
1. All I ever wanter : Basshunter
2. Bass I love you : Bassotronics
3. RideAway : Roy Orbinson,
4. HeavyWeight Bhangra : Ranjit Bawa
5. Baby Love : Nicole

Disclaimer : I am not comparing/reviewing/suggesting any speakers and these are completely my personal opinions and experience.

Result : I bought Taga harmony 806 5.0 speaker package.
Place : AV Zone, CR Park, Delhi
Good info. I would love to checkout your setup once it is complete.

Back