SMSL Q5 Pro Vs SainSonic FX Audio D802 Vs Other Stereo Digital Amplifier's

elangoas

Hi All,

Long story short - I lost my Onkyo TX NR 818 AVR during a lightning strike last year and tried to reinstate some components of it which didn't help.. So planning for a stereo set-up that should suffice for the next 2 yrs until i get a new AVR..

I accidentally came across SMSL Q5 Pro when i was looking for a DAC and came across FX Audio D802 too Both are approx $120 on amazon.com..

SMSL Q5 Pro Pure Digital HiFi Amplifier - https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-Digital...F8&qid=1469258533&sr=8-4&keywords=smsl+q5+pro

SainSonic FX Audio D80 - https://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-D8...F8&qid=1469258533&sr=8-7&keywords=smsl+q5+pro

I have a friend coming from US/UK in a months time, so planning to get it from there..

I really like both the amplifiers for its compact size, the features (remote) and the connectivity options (USB Input, Optical & co-axial inputs)... Am more inclined towards SMSL Q5 Pro since it has sub-out...Only the power output seem to be less..

PC will be my source for music & movies and plan to connect STB... Will be pairing it with Sonodyne Sonus 1501 BS (86 db)..

Please share your inputs...

It has both stereo and optical input, but USB cant be used for PC. It only supports Apple devices.
Here is spec from the website:

Multi-Zone wire-less integrated stereo amplifier
Compatible with Apple AirPlay
Airstream Direct enabled - Router free music
S/PDIF (Digital) optical input
Stereo RCA analogue inputs
Stereo RCA pre/ sub-woofer outputs
2 x 50 Watts Power Output
Audiophile quality Class A/B amplifiers
A100 uses external high precision crystal clock to ensure extremely low jitter
USB input for charging and Wi-Fi set up.

A100 Amplifier | Monitor Audio

It has both stereo and optical input, but USB cant be used for PC. It only supports Apple devices.
Here is spec from the website:

Multi-Zone wire-less integrated stereo amplifier
Compatible with Apple AirPlay
Airstream Direct enabled - Router free music
S/PDIF (Digital) optical input
Stereo RCA analogue inputs
Stereo RCA pre/ sub-woofer outputs
2 x 50 Watts Power Output
Audiophile quality Class A/B amplifiers
A100 uses external high precision crystal clock to ensure extremely low jitter
USB input for charging and Wi-Fi set up.

A100 Amplifier | Monitor Audio
My PC doesn't have digital optical/ coaxial out.. So will need USB input on the amplifier..And my STB has Coaxial out.. So connectivity will be an issue..

Else i need to run all the connectivity to TV HDMI port and use TV's Optical out..

on this note, it would be nice to know how these digital (class d) amplifiers perform as compared to the usual solid state (class ab) amps.

Oh sad to know. Was it during Chennai Flood last December ?

good luck with your Stereo set up plan. Hope you are also looking at Sale section if any member are selling their AVR/Stereo...

Oh sad to know. Was it during Chennai Flood last December ?

The AVR was too good.. Nope.. Sometime Oct'15..

good luck with your Stereo set up plan. Hope you are also looking at Sale section if any member are selling their AVR/Stereo...

Thanks.. Nope.. Looking for something new.. Trying to get it thru my friend.. Fingers crossed... If it doesn't materialize, will start looking in the forum..

on this note, it would be nice to know how these digital (class d) amplifiers perform as compared to the usual solid state (class ab) amps.

I don't know much abt class AB / D.. But some link, read that it is Direct Digital Amplification (DDX) without a DAC..

The d802 Amazon page you shared has some comparison with smsl in the review . In case you missed.

Hope you are referring to a review where he said Sainsonic FX D802 is better than SMSL Q5 Pro.. Hmm..Am still leaning towards the Q5 Pro as it has sub-out, which will compensate the bass that would be missing from BS...

Have you decided yet.

Anyways was browsing on this and here are some updates:

1. Smsl q5 has a lot of reviews. The most popular one should be this:
https://www.amazon.com/review/R25NO40B3MHA8Z

2. The reviews mention that the last version of q5 would have taken care of many issues earlier versions had. So it might be more reliable than the D802 judging from the many responses/reviews. Or this general perception might be because of the limited reviews as against q5. Q5 might not be in production now.

3. Now the smsl q5 pro doesnt use the same chip as smsl q5 and sounds different. And there is a remote possibility that the pro might be riding on the success of smsl q5. Check this review
https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R1WR00SMJB2HJK?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

4. Some european forums consider the D802 to be better than q5.

5. This italian link says the alientek d8 might be better than the D802

ALIENTEK D8 vs FX AUDIO 802C - Pagina 2

i dont like subs that much and hence cannot wrap my head around that issue. Dig a little more into that italian forum and you might find what you are looking for.

Have you decided yet.

Anyways was browsing on this and here are some updates:

1. Smsl q5 has a lot of reviews. The most popular one should be this:
https://www.amazon.com/review/R25NO40B3MHA8Z

2. The reviews mention that the last version of q5 would have taken care of many issues earlier versions had. So it might be more reliable than the D802 judging from the many responses/reviews. Or this general perception might be because of the limited reviews as against q5. Q5 might not be in production now.

3. Now the smsl q5 pro doesnt use the same chip as smsl q5 and sounds different. And there is a remote possibility that the pro might be riding on the success of smsl q5. Check this review
https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R1WR00SMJB2HJK?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

4. Some european forums consider the D802 to be better than q5.

5. This italian link says the alientek d8 might be better than the D802

ALIENTEK D8 vs FX AUDIO 802C - Pagina 2

i dont like subs that much and hence cannot wrap my head around that issue. Dig a little more into that italian forum and you might find what you are looking for.

Thanks so much buddy.. Great links, good to know info...You have picked in depth- reviews on amazon.com.. I did go thru few of them but not much in detail..

Yes.. My friend has picked the SMSL Q5 Pro, think which is the latest version with sub-out for approx 89 Pounds (8K INR) from UK.. Should get it next weekend..

The only reason i chose Q5 Pro is because of the sub-out, which will help for movies..

Also have asked an other friend of mine to pick the Klipsch RP 160M from US for $400 (27K) on amazon.com.. Should be getting that too in 2 weeks time...

I too chose Klipsch based on sensitivity - 96db for RP 160M.. So should be easier load for the amplifier...

All these are blind buy.. Never auditioned them... Will share the experience..

Received the Amplifier from my friend who got this from UK.. 90 Pounds - 8K INR
4ef19c86e55c58e725be0812ddf94b8b.jpg

Received the speaker from an other friend from US.. $400 US Dollars - Approx 27 K INR
eac13551c149a2f1970cf0f2a20a123b.jpg

Nice to have friends who would do favors.:) Do post your impressions on both. Looking forward to it. and some more pictures if you can.

Nice to have friends who would do favors.:) Do post your impressions on both. Looking forward to it. and some more pictures if you can.

We have been friends for a good 20 yrs time.. So no favour's..Juz pushed him to get it :eek:hyeah:

Sure.. Will do.. Hooked them up today morning before coming to office.. Will give some time to break in for both amp & speaker, observe & share here in sometime..

where are the opening pics? ;)

Coming soon :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back