Songs similar to Colonial Cousins album?

rohitmusic

Hi,
Just listening to Colonial Cousins and it has a very beautiful mix of Indian and western instruments credit to the duo and excellent compositions with the amazingly rich voice of Hariharan.

It is the kind of music I can listen on and on.. :)
I wish there were some more of such similar albums!!!
Any similar works of music?

Thanks!

If fusion music is what you are looking for, you can try:
Karnatrix
Yodhaka
Anoushka Shankar-Karsh Kale Breathing under water
Niladri Kumar - Priority
Atmayaan

I don't know if Bombay Vikings qualifies? They are more of remix of old Bollywood hits, sung in Hinglish. You may like to try them out if you haven't. Their videos were great, too.

If fusion music is what you are looking for, you can try:
Karnatrix
Yodhaka
Anoushka Shankar-Karsh Kale Breathing under water
Niladri Kumar - Priority
Atmayaan

Niladri Kumar is simply crazy on the Sitar. Attended his concert live and was no less than a rock concert with his very fast pace style of sitar play! ;)

Also Shubha Mudhghal is simply amazing with her powerful voice. Again live was so powerful vibes.

Mostly looking for classical based tracks like the colonial cousins with just a lining of fusion. Tracks with a more Indian touch.

There are bands like Indian Ocean and like who do similar music but colonial cousins has something special to it. I guess it is Hariharan who takes it to a different level altogether with his never predictable flow of music. If you know what I mean in live listenings ;)

Last edited:
Rohit, I know what you are talking about, I am big fan of Hariharan, he is one helluva versatatile singer.
As for fusion rooted in classical, try Jazz Mine by Pt. Ravi Shankar and team.

Rohit, I know what you are talking about, I am big fan of Hariharan, he is one helluva versatatile singer.
As for fusion rooted in classical, try Jazz Mine by Pt. Ravi Shankar and team.

Absolutely, he is so versatile that I never knew he is such a great ghazal singer. I got introduced to him via colonial cousins and his movie tracks (mostly with AR Rahman music)..

I was blown away when I actually attended one of his live concerts and it was purely a ghazal mehfil! Then I realized his tremendous versatility. The very fact that I never realized it is a big testament to his versatility. Only after that concert I heard his ghazal albums!!! Ghazal albums like Hazir with Zakhir are a treat and many many more! Also he never sings the same song exactly the same and almost always adds his special touches which is a treat.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out the recommendation. :)

Last edited:
I had posted about this once before, but Raghu Dixit is taking this genre forward in his own wonderfully unique way. Among many musicians trying to find their voice, I can say that Raghu Dixit and Shubha Mudgal stand out for being completely fearless and un-self-conscious.

Raghu Dixit "No Man Will Ever Love You, Like I Do" LIVE on BBC Later With Jools HIGH QUALITY - YouTube

Raghu Dixit - Gudugudiya Sedi Nodo Cowshed Glastonbury 2011 - YouTube

Raghu Dixit - Ambar se - YouTube

Nice sharing. Very good energy in the tracks especially first two ones.
I can see some similarity with Shubha Mudgal style.. :)

Once I got chance to listen to Shubha Mudgal live and having heard some of here songs like "garaj baras" and other.. I was expecting lot of use of high pitch notes and powerful voice but to my learning and surprise all the 6-7 songs she sung were extremely controlled and no overuse of her extraordinary potential of high pitch notes. That earned a new respect for both such singers and classical music for me. Everything is done in right proportion even if it can be overdone very very easily! :) Being introduced to world music, classical has a special respect simply because of this one thing and hence I am exploring a balanced mix between the two which is very interesting.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back