Sonodyne SIA 320 V/s CA Topaz SR10

Amitkg

Hi,
According to the experienced forum members, Which one is the best choice between Sonodyne SIA 320 and Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10, if someone wants to buy an amp for stereo setup? Though, CA Topaz SR10 is a stereo receiver and SIA 320 is an amp.
Sonodyne SIA 320 is priced around 17.5k
Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 is priced around 23.5k
Does CA Topaz SR10 justify the price difference.

Please give your valuable feedback, and when you judge, judge these two products on a level playing field ( keep SR10's receiver capability out of contest)

Please respond

Last edited:
Hi

If I was given to choose between a Sonodyne and a Cambridge Audio, I would go for the Cambridge Audio as it is designed and created by Audiophile people. There is a difference in built quality and performance. There are ample reviews over the internet and even some YouTube videos to give you some insight on the same.

Cambridge Audio is ranked along with NAD and Marantz in terms of built quality and performance....end of the day since you are the user....demo / audition if possible before deciding....compare both in terms of features, connectivity, output etc...

Integrated Amplifiers

All the best

Amit, I'll strongly suggest you save up a bit and go for the Marantz PM5005. It will last much longer than the other two, in the sense that it will delay the upgraditis much longer. Better sound will be bonus. Better resale value a parting gift.

Hi,
According to the experienced forum members, Which one is the best choice between Sonodyne SIA 320 and Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10, if someone wants to buy an amp for stereo setup? Though, CA Topaz SR10 is a stereo receiver and SIA 320 is an amp.
Sonodyne SIA 320 is priced around 17.5k
Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 is priced around 23.5k
Does CA Topaz SR10 justify the price difference.

Please give your valuable feedback, and when you judge, judge these two products on a level playing field ( keep SR10's receiver capability out of contest)

Please respond

I haven't heard the Cambridge Topaz amplifier... But have heard the Sonodyne SIA 320 with Sonus 2605 Floor standers.... They are good & have good oomph....

There was a review by a FM on this forum sometime back... Search for that thread, you should get an idea of what it would offer....

BTW what speakers do you have (or) tentatively planned ?

Hi

If I was given to choose between a Sonodyne and a Cambridge Audio, I would go for the Cambridge Audio as it is designed and created by Audiophile people. There is a difference in built quality and performance.

Hmmm....So Sonodynes aren't Audiophile people is what you mean :cool:

I haven't heard the Cambridge Topaz amplifier... But have heard the Sonodyne SIA 320 with Sonus 2605 Floor standers.... They are good & have good oomph....

There was a review by a FM on this forum sometime back... Search for that thread, you should get an idea of what it would offer....

BTW what speakers do you have (or) tentatively planned ?
-----------------------
I want to buy Sonus 2605 V3, I heard it and I liked it but someone once mentioned that SIA320 is not capable of driving Sonus 2605, that's why I am trying to select some other amp.

All I know, that from 26th Jan- 2nd Feb, every year, Sonodyne gives 26% discount on audio products. That's why I am doing research and this forum is of great help. BTW, is it o.k. to go for 2605V3 with SIA320?
Everybody says good about Marantz but 45watt/ channel output, in my opinion is not enough to drive FS, and I don't wanna buy BS. Besides, service is another point,, Marantz doesn't have any service centre in Kolkata, I think, they have service centres in Bangalore and Mumbai only.

What is your take on?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to buy Sonus 2605 V3, I heard it and I liked it but someone once mentioned that SIA320 is not capable of driving Sonus 2605, that's why I am trying to select some other amp.

All I know, that from 26th Jan- 2nd Feb, every year, Sonodyne gives 26% discount on audio products. That's why I am doing research and this forum is of great help. BTW, is it o.k. to go for 2605V3 with SIA320?
Everybody says good about Marantz but 45watt/ channel output, in my opinion is not enough to drive FS, and I don't wanna buy BS. Besides, service is another point,, Marantz doesn't have any service centre in Kolkata, I think, they have service centres in Bangalore and Mumbai only.

What is your take on? Thanks,

I have heard Sonus 2605 paired with SIA 320.... It was good pairing... It can easily power the FS...

If i remember correctly, the volume on SIA 320 ranges between 0 - 60.. and at 45 level it was powering the 2605 FS comfortably with some more left.... This was in a 150 - 200 Sqft room...

There was an other FM who had paired the Marantz PM6005 with Sonus 2605.. Here is the detailed link to that thread... http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/49929-my-marantz-pm-6005-sonodyne-2605-story.html

This should give you a rough idea....

^OP Currently I'm using SiA320 with Sonus 2605 v3 . Combo is good but there are two problems I have been experiencing.

1) When switched on you start hearing hiss noise coming out of the tweeters constantly.
2) When connected to PC > DAC it is picking up all kinds of noises from the PC (Crackling, hum, pops etc.) but when connected to a cd player or TT it is silent except the problem no.1

I have tested connecting the speakers to Norge 2030 amp > PC, then there is no hiss and noises coming from the speakers.

Except those two problems, the amp can drive easily the 2605 speakers.

I would suggest going for the CA amongst these two. I have spent considerable amount of time (> 15 years) with Sonodyne and think it doesn't worth considering the new models. If you get few Vintage models like SA6000 or Uranus II (580) then still those are okay. That is my opinion of course, YMMV.

But for music I would also consider Marantz Integrated.

Last edited:
Try experiencing Sonodyne Active speakers with their DAC P1.. Their smallest Active speaker SRP 201 + DAC P1 should be approx 50 & within your budget..

^OP Currently I'm using SiA320 with Sonus 2605 v3 . Combo is good but there are two problems I have been experiencing.

1) When switched on you start hearing hiss noise coming out of the tweeters constantly.
2) When connected to PC > DAC it is picking up all kinds of noises from the PC (Crackling, hum, pops etc.) but when connected to a cd player or TT it is silent except the problem no.1

I have tested connecting the speakers to Norge 2030 amp > PC, then there is no hiss and noises coming from the speakers.

Except those two problems, the amp can drive easily the 2605 speakers.

After turning on the SIA 320, you start hearing hiss noise, but does it subside after few minutes? or does Hiss sound remain till you power it down?

Please respond.

Amit as you are well aware that I own the Sia 320, but just yesterday I acquired a Cambridge Audio Azur 550A used through the forum. I have not had the time to play and explore it fully, but if you must know my opinion then here they are, of course it is not a fare comparison since you are looking for Topaz SR and what I have is Azur, still this should give you some idea:

1) The SIA 320 is rated at 70W, and the CA at 60W and yet the CA seems to be a much more powerful amplifier (if that means anything). I had to turn SIA's volume knob to almost 2-3 O'clock position to make my speakers go 'loud'. While 9-10 O'clock on the Azur yields the same volume. Both the amps were being fed from my laptop via a DAC with the 3.5 mm input.

2) Azur has better dynamics, much more open. Brings a different dimension to music, they sound more 'live' than recorded, which is a good thing in my opinion. I find it more neutral.
Soundstage is considerably wider than the Sonodyne's, makes for enjoyable listening.

3) Sonodyne had more presence in vocals department, vocals sounded more robust with it, however the CA is more refined and there is better cohesion in the music. I am not sure if I am explaining it right but it feels to me that there is better synergy between the instruments and vocals with the Cambridge Audio amp. I only wish it had the bold vocals of Sonodyne!

4) Better low frequencies on the Azur with and without sub. My Dali's are tiny speakers and they do not go very low but do have a bass presence. With the Azur they punch are harder (as much is possibly permitted in their physical dimensions) and extend more. I have a sonodyne 210 sub and it is a perfectly acceptable and yet ordinary sub, with the Azur they have shown me a different class (what an irony, considering they are made by Sonodyne)! More presence, depth and power displayed by the sub.

In all honesty CA Azur is a better amplifier, but the price difference is quite a bit between the two. I will never say that Sonodyne is bad, it served me well for more than an year and has given me considerable joy when I switched from the Yamaha AVR to dedicated integrated amplifier for music. They are good to start the journey, but I will echo what 'ranjeetrain' suggested (and his suggestion must mean a lot more than mine), if you can get a Marantz 5004/5 or even get a used CA/Marantz, they will be better than the Sonodyne.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back