Yamaha A-S500 or Onkyo TX 8050 or CA Topaz SR10

Amitkg

Hi, I am a new member to this forum, I am from Kolkata, I am planning to make entry in to world of Hi-Fi stereo, still now, I listen to music on my computer.
I have ASUS XONAR DX sound card installed and I have 450 GB of FLAC/ALAC music.

I have shortlisted two stereo receivers and one integrated stereo amplifier, and they are Onkyo TX-8050, Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 (both are stereo receiver) and Yamaha A-S500 (integrated amplifier). Now, I am in a fix, bit confused, which one to buy; Onkyo TX 8050 has host of features and connectivity ( and some of them are useless in India), Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 is also good but it doesn't have network capability.

Now, Yamaha A S-500, It has simplistic design, no display, no fancy bells and whistle, no radio, no 3.5mm/USB input but it has 'Loudness' button which delivers good 'bass' at low volume where as Onkyo and CA don't have loudness control.

My foremost requirement is good quality music;>> network capability, USB connectivity, Tuner, looks can take back seat.
I've selected Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS speakers.

Now, my questions are
>>Usere Manual says that TX8050 connects 6ohms speakers; at present most of the speakers manufactures are making 8ohms speakers, so, can I connect 8ohms speaker to TX 8050?

>>CA 's website says that bi-wiring is possible, Topaz SR10 doesn't have loudness button, so, by bi-wiring speakers, can 'bass response' be improved ?

>>Can Yamaha deliver good music, if I connect it to my pc's audio out (3.5mm to RCA) ?

I could have done the auditioning myself but I have little knowledge as far as good stereo sound is concerned, besides, in Kolkata, auditioning is a difficult task, most of the time showrooms don't keep demo units, and another thing CA doesn't have any dealer in Kolkata

I need experts' opinion.

BTW, Promise Kolkata is asking Rs45000 for Onkyo TX8050 but the same product is available on 'shopperbay.in' at Rs 31722/, what's the story here ? any clue ?

Thanks & Regards

Last edited:
i think you will need to consider this purchase with relation to your whole setup. what are the speakers you are going to use. once you decide that, then you can match the amp to it. going my reputation alone, the cambridge stands out, but its best you audition before you buy. the as500 is a very good at at its price point. i prefer it above the onkyo.

its best you audition whatever you have shortlisted and decide on the speakers as well before you take the decision

i think you will need to consider this purchase with relation to your whole setup. what are the speakers you are going to use. once you decide that, then you can match the amp to it. going my reputation alone, the cambridge stands out, but its best you audition before you buy. the as500 is a very good at at its price point. i prefer it above the onkyo.

its best you audition whatever you have shortlisted and decide on the speakers as well before you take the decision

-------------------------
Thanks afj, So now, choice is between, Yamaha and CA; from their spec sheets I've found following information

Yamaha A S500---S/N ratio-- 100 dB (Pure Direct On, 200 mV)
CA Topaz SR10----S/N ratio (ref 1W)>82dB (unweighted)

Yamaha A S500---Total Harmonic Distortion (CD to Sp Out, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 0.015% (42.5 W/8 ohms)

CA Topaz SR10----(unweighted) <0.01% @ 1kHz, 80% of rated power
<0.15% 20Hz - 20kHz, 80% of rated power.

Since, I am a newbie, I failed to understand which one is better than the other, in terms of THD and S/N ratio, What is this 'unweighted S/N ratio and ' Normal S/N ratio ?

Please enlighten me, :) :) :)

Thanks...

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

A few answers and questions
1. What is your budget for (speakers / amplifiers / cables)

2. Do you want to replace your PC for listening audio in future using a network receiver so that PC can only host the files and Network receiver can play them?

3. In the same budget, a dedicated integrated stereo amplifier will usually outperform a Stereo Receiver

4. Do you have any plans for upgrading to multi channel surround Home Theater in future? If yes, better to look for networked AVRs like Denon X2000

5. The ideal way to build an audio chain is to start with speakers. And I see you have shortlisted Sonodyne. Any specific reasons for that (budget, feedback, etc) leaving aside the fact that you have not auditioned it yet? There are abundance of speaker choices available in AV showrooms of Kolkata

6. If you like bassy sound then do not rely on special features like "loudness button", rather go for speakers that can deliver good bass on its own and go for amplifier that can provide the necessary power to drive them, Bass / Low frequencies require more power to be reproduced. Otherwise think of adding a dedicated powered subwoofer depending on your bass likings.

7. TX8050 manual does state that it supports 8 ohms speakers which is same as your Sonodyne. Do some reading on this forums on speaker impedance matching, lots of threads are available

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/47200-query-speaker-amplifier-impedance-matching.html

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...-underpowered-amps-vs-overpowered-amps-7.html

8. Improvements through bi-wiring are subjective and varies not only between components but between ears as well, so unless you are absolutely certain that the particular chain you are buying can improve using bi-wiring do not rely on biwiring to give you that improvement.

9. Why do you intend to use 3.5 mm audio out of PC for coupling with Yamaha? You should try to get it through your sound card analogue (L/R) out and feed to amplifier directly or you may use the optical (digital) out from your soundcard and feed it to optical in of your receiver. The rule would be to utilize the best Digital to Analogue converter in your chain. Any device that outputs analogue (L/R or 3.5) audio by reading digital files on disk drive / network / CD (like PC / CD Player / Receivers) is utilizing its in built DAC chip. So unless you have a costly MAC, your PC's built in DAC chip will be inferior to that in your sound card and that may / may not be inferior to the one inside your Receiver. You need to compare and judge. Same reason why Xonar STX costs more than Xonar DX and many dedicated DACs (separate component) are costlier than most sound cards.

10. There are ample dealers of AV stuff in kolkata and everyone of them have demo units and provides "no obligation" listening before you select / reject any component. Not sure who told you the otherwise. SKS Traders in paddapukur is CA dealer in kolkata. Apart from that there are several showrooms beyond Promises like ProFX in gariahat, Harmony Audio in new alipur, Focal showroom in Hindusthan Park, Sonodyne and Bose of course, Yamaha (the one at park circus I heard is closed). Visit each one of them and decide at ease.

11. Before buying AV stuff online validate with the manufacturer whether they will provide warranty and if the site being evaluated is their authorized dealer. Many online retailers stock imported stuff which most of the time do not have manufacturer warranty coverage in India unless it is imported via authorized distributors in the country.

Hope these helps and do come back with any further questions. I would encourage other Kolkata HFV members provide their suggestions.

dont worry about the specs too much. the main benchmark to match to your speakers are mainly watts (and ohms). they're both 85 watts so theres not much difference in output, though again going purely by reputation, cambridges specs will be more real. they are both powerful amps and they will do the job.

the only research you need to do now is listen to both of them and decide which sound you prefer

-------------------------
Thanks afj, So now, choice is between, Yamaha and CA; from their spec sheets I've found following information

Yamaha A S500---Total Harmonic Distortion (CD to Sp Out, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 0.015% (42.5 W/8 ohms)

Since, I am a newbie, I failed to understand which one is better than the other, in terms of THD and S/N ratio, What is this 'unweighted S/N ratio and ' Normal S/N ratio ?

Please enlighten me, :) :) :)

Thanks...

Although I am no expert in judging specs, but what i understand is lower the THD the better it is at the same power output. So amps, when they deliver higher power (you increase the volume) the THD increases and so the sound clarity drops with increase in loudness. Similarly higher the SNR cleaner the sound by theory now whether it will be more musical is debatable :) So auditioning is must

Amit....a few points to consider:

AFAIK the networking features on AV receivers are menu driven - making a visual interface i.e. tv screen/monitor a necessity. On the other hand, a tablet/phone-controlled INR 2k-chromecast-type streamer can add networking to almost any non-networked amp, and save some shekels.

You already have a very capable DAC in your sound card - so you hardly need any further digital sound processing equipment.

Your selected speakers are a pair. i.e. a stereo setup.

I say go with the best sounding stereo amp you can lay your ears on, wallet permitting.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum buddy....

I think Onkyo TX 8050 is a good choice for the following reasons....

1) It has a decent stereo DAC in it while the other don't have it... Not sure how the Analogue output of your Soundcard is going to be... If you take the stereo amplifier/receiver route & if the sound is bright, Then having the DAC in the stereo amplifier is a good choice & handy as you can experiment them using SPIDF out from your PC.....

2) You said you have ALAC files, so most probably you own Apple devices... Onkyo TX 8050 has USB input where you can connect your apple devices thru th front USB & start playing them... & the connection is Digital...

3) Onkyo TX 8050 has Network feature... Assuming you router is nearby PC, you can connect the ethernet cable... This gives the flexibility of playing music from your Andrioid/Apple devices wirelessly....

4) Considering you have shortlisted Sondyne Sonus 2605, Onkyo 8050 should be able to play them with ease.... They are also 8 ohms speakers...

5) You should be able to negotiate the price for Onkyo TX 8050 for around 38K...

Welcome to the forum.

A few answers and questions
1. What is your budget for (speakers / amplifiers / cables)

2. Do you want to replace your PC for listening audio in future using a network receiver so that PC can only host the files and Network receiver can play them?

3. In the same budget, a dedicated integrated stereo amplifier will usually outperform a Stereo Receiver

4. Do you have any plans for upgrading to multi channel surround Home Theater in future? If yes, better to look for networked AVRs like Denon X2000

5. The ideal way to build an audio chain is to start with speakers. And I see you have shortlisted Sonodyne. Any specific reasons for that (budget, feedback, etc) leaving aside the fact that you have not auditioned it yet? There are abundance of speaker choices available in AV showrooms of Kolkata

6. If you like bassy sound then do not rely on special features like "loudness button", rather go for speakers that can deliver good bass on its own and go for amplifier that can provide the necessary power to drive them, Bass / Low frequencies require more power to be reproduced. Otherwise think of adding a dedicated powered subwoofer depending on your bass likings.

7. TX8050 manual does state that it supports 8 ohms speakers which is same as your Sonodyne. Do some reading on this forums on speaker impedance matching, lots of threads are available

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/47200-query-speaker-amplifier-impedance-matching.html

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...-underpowered-amps-vs-overpowered-amps-7.html

8. Improvements through bi-wiring are subjective and varies not only between components but between ears as well, so unless you are absolutely certain that the particular chain you are buying can improve using bi-wiring do not rely on biwiring to give you that improvement.

9. Why do you intend to use 3.5 mm audio out of PC for coupling with Yamaha? You should try to get it through your sound card analogue (L/R) out and feed to amplifier directly or you may use the optical (digital) out from your soundcard and feed it to optical in of your receiver. The rule would be to utilize the best Digital to Analogue converter in your chain. Any device that outputs analogue (L/R or 3.5) audio by reading digital files on disk drive / network / CD (like PC / CD Player / Receivers) is utilizing its in built DAC chip. So unless you have a costly MAC, your PC's built in DAC chip will be inferior to that in your sound card and that may / may not be inferior to the one inside your Receiver. You need to compare and judge. Same reason why Xonar STX costs more than Xonar DX and many dedicated DACs (separate component) are costlier than most sound cards.

10. There are ample dealers of AV stuff in kolkata and everyone of them have demo units and provides "no obligation" listening before you select / reject any component. Not sure who told you the otherwise. SKS Traders in paddapukur is CA dealer in kolkata. Apart from that there are several showrooms beyond Promises like ProFX in gariahat, Harmony Audio in new alipur, Focal showroom in Hindusthan Park, Sonodyne and Bose of course, Yamaha (the one at park circus I heard is closed). Visit each one of them and decide at ease.

11. Before buying AV stuff online validate with the manufacturer whether they will provide warranty and if the site being evaluated is their authorized dealer. Many online retailers stock imported stuff which most of the time do not have manufacturer warranty coverage in India unless it is imported via authorized distributors in the country.

Hope these helps and do come back with any further questions. I would encourage other Kolkata HFV members provide their suggestions.

Hi Haisaikat,
Thanks for reply, you explained the matter in detail. You asked me few specific questions and now I am giving answer,

1> My Budget is not more than Rs80,000/- as I mentioned that this is going to be my first stereo-set up. I think, this is not bad to start with considering my financial stature.

2> Yes, I do have plans for future upgrade, after setting up this, I can continue adding CD player/ network device, better speaker, better-amp etc, with the money I get as annual incentive but I can't completely give-up my PC as I heavily listen to 'Trance' and most of the 'Trance' & 'world music' get released 'on-line' besides, It's been more than 10years I've been sourcing/downloading music

3> You mentioned "In the same budget, a dedicated integrated stereo amplifier will usually outperform a Stereo Receiver"....>>>>> this part is tricky, in India, CA Topaz SR 10 is sold at Rs 24000, and Yamaha A-S500, is sold at Rs29000 but in International market Yamaha is sold at US$ 399.99/- where CA Topaz SR 10 is sold at US$499.99. (source Yamaha A-S500 Stereo integrated amplifier at Crutchfield.com ..... Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 Stereo receiver at Crutchfield.com)

From Indian market point of view Yamaha should give better sound as it is pricier than the CA, where as in US and elsewhere CA is pricier than Yamaha, so, CA should produce better music.

4> I am strictly 2 channel stereo person, to me if it is possible, people should even avoid the box called 'sub-woofer' so no plan for multichannel, surround mambo-jumbo

5>The reason for selecting Sonodyne is mainly 'budget' I know it can't beat Dali, focal, Heco etc etc but Sonodyne is not burning hole in my pocket either besides service is another factor. Price of imported speakers( specially European ones) in India are highly inflated, govt adds 42%-55% duty and some of the distributors unreasonably add premium to 'not so premium' a/v products. I thinks, in this regard, we all should approach our new govt. to do something so that we enjoy some musical 'acchay din' :)

6> I am not inclined to 'bassy sound' natural sound is my preference but for prolonged, ear-fatigue free listening, I prefer slightly tamed upper frequency

7> Point taken
8> Point taken
9> Point taken
10>Point taken

11> well understood, but just for the crunchy carrot named service & warranty, at times stores are asking double the price of a particular product, like TX8050, some of the on line retailers are selling this item for RS23000 but authorized distributor Promise kolkata is asking Rs45000 for TX 8050, If I want to buy TX8050 , I'll buy it on line, cause risk is worth taking

Thank you once again my friend ;)

since you don't know about the technicalities of power rating THD etc its really good that you don't. These are good to know for sure but should not influence your purchase as most of it is just on papers. Every company claims they are no.1 they are best this that.

Onkyo is the worst sounding for music.

Demo all these models and make decision only based on your ears liking.
Marantz could be another consideration. They claim very low power wattage but when you listen to them its a completely different story altogether.

NOw, for the connectivity. Look at the ports on your sound card. I think it only has a coaxial spdif to connect with any receiver...rest is to connect with PC speakers 5.1

Spdif will be the only proper way of connecting to the receiver.
Check all receiver's back panel image or personally if possible it will give you an idea of connectivity options.

3.5 mm jack is auxiliary connectivity which in real world is "jugaad" way of connectivity.
Stick to spdif coaxial/optical.

Optical gives more clarity
Coaxial gives more warm/bassy sound FYI

a dealer himself told once that CA as a brand isn't that great, sounds alright to me

listen and find for yourself

marantz and yamaha are good

if you can reach arcam rotel or nad even better

try tannoy mercury speakers or mordaunt short mezzo 6, amazing clarity

Although I am no expert in judging specs, but what i understand is lower the THD the better it is at the same power output. So amps, when they deliver higher power (you increase the volume) the THD increases and so the sound clarity drops with increase in loudness. Similarly higher the SNR cleaner the sound by theory now whether it will be more musical is debatable :) So auditioning is must

Hi, saw your video reviewing MS Aviano 6 Floorstander on youtube MS Aviano 6 Floorstander @ Home - YouTube , any idea, how much this cost in Kolkata and availability?

Please respond

since you don't know about the technicalities of power rating THD etc its really good that you don't. These are good to know for sure but should not influence your purchase as most of it is just on papers. Every company claims they are no.1 they are best this that.

Onkyo is the worst sounding for music.

Demo all these models and make decision only based on your ears liking.
Marantz could be another consideration. They claim very low power wattage but when you listen to them its a completely different story altogether.

NOw, for the connectivity. Look at the ports on your sound card. I think it only has a coaxial spdif to connect with any receiver...rest is to connect with PC speakers 5.1

Spdif will be the only proper way of connecting to the receiver.
Check all receiver's back panel image or personally if possible it will give you an idea of connectivity options.

3.5 mm jack is auxiliary connectivity which in real world is "jugaad" way of connectivity.
Stick to spdif coaxial/optical.

Optical gives more clarity
Coaxial gives more warm/bassy sound FYI

a dealer himself told once that CA as a brand isn't that great, sounds alright to me

listen and find for yourself

marantz and yamaha are good

if you can reach arcam rotel or nad even better

try tannoy mercury speakers or mordaunt short mezzo 6, amazing clarity

:clapping: :cheers:

Amit,

Have you auditioned the Onkyo A-9030 stereo integrated amplifier? It is an under-rated amplifier and built like a tank delivers solid sonic. Try it.

Amit,

Have you auditioned the Onkyo A-9030 stereo integrated amplifier? It is an under-rated amplifier and built like a tank delivers solid sonic. Try it.[/QUOTE

Hi Crosstalk,

A month ago, I visited Promise-Kolkata and auditioned A-9050, said model has inbuilt DAC but didn't like the sound signature; sales-person Subrata then played the same CDs on A-9030, somewhat sound signature of A9030 was far better than A-9050. Problem is, A9030 is bit underpowered (65W/channel) and found not-so good reviews of either of the two on-line, though found rave-reviews of A9070, which is out of my budget. :sad: :sad:

Thanks,

Amit,

Have you auditioned the Onkyo A-9030 stereo integrated amplifier? It is an under-rated amplifier and built like a tank delivers solid sonic. Try it.[/QUOTE

Hi Crosstalk,

A month ago, I visited Promise-Kolkata and auditioned A-9050, said model has inbuilt DAC but didn't like the sound signature; sales-person Subrata then played the same CDs on A-9030, somewhat sound signature of A9030 was far better than A-9050. Problem is, A9030 is bit underpowered (65W/channel) and found not-so good reviews of either of the two on-line, though found rave-reviews of A9070, which is out of my budget. :sad: :sad:

Thanks,

Yes, A-9050 sounds muddy compared to A-9030. Though it is mentioned 65W, I would say it actually delivers around 45W. I am using it with PSB Alpha B1 and the sound stage is satisfactory for me. I hardly turn the volume beyond 12'o clock but found it better in comparision to Yamaha A-S500 (Mr. Biswas). The other thing I liked about the Onkyo is that the unit is Made in Malaysia unlike all others - Made in China.

A-9030 particularly has good reviews on Crutchfield and comes with 80% score on What Hi-Fi. It lacks the bass (but still better than the NAD326BEE).

But even if 65W is underpower for your need, its good to be rejected because it will not even deliver 50W. During audition Subrata paired this up for me with 4 different floor standers and 3 different bookshelves. Nothing sounded even close with the PSB Alpha B1s. A perfect made for each other I would say.

I auditoned 4 amps in my budget amps that fit my budget of 30K.

NAD 326BEE
Marantz PM5004
Yamaha A-S500
and Onkyo A-9030

I found the Onkyo to be balanced in all aspect. A-S500 sounded harsh, Both the Marantz and NAD sounded thin.

But then it all comes to personal preference and choice. Happy auditioning and hope you get the right thing for yourself. :)

Yes, A-9050 sounds muddy compared to A-9030. Though it is mentioned 65W, I would say it actually delivers around 45W. I am using it with PSB Alpha B1 and the sound stage is satisfactory for me. I hardly turn the volume beyond 12'o clock but found it better in comparision to Yamaha A-S500 (Mr. Biswas). The other thing I liked about the Onkyo is that the unit is Made in Malaysia unlike all others - Made in China.

A-9030 particularly has good reviews on Crutchfield and comes with 80% score on What Hi-Fi. It lacks the bass (but still better than the NAD326BEE).

But even if 65W is underpower for your need, its good to be rejected because it will not even deliver 50W. During audition Subrata paired this up for me with 4 different floor standers and 3 different bookshelves. Nothing sounded even close with the PSB Alpha B1s. A perfect made for each other I would say.

I auditoned 4 amps in my budget amps that fit my budget of 30K.

NAD 326BEE
Marantz PM5004
Yamaha A-S500
and Onkyo A-9030

I found the Onkyo to be balanced in all aspect. A-S500 sounded harsh, Both the Marantz and NAD sounded thin.

But then it all comes to personal preference and choice. Happy auditioning and hope you get the right thing for yourself. :)

--------------------------------------
Thanks Crosstalk,
You are the first person, I've come across, who said something (slightly though) negative about 'Marantz', Almost everybody on this forum speaks high of Marantz, as result I had started thinking that this site/forum was managed by some insiders of Marantz or people on marantz's payroll :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:. Thank you, for bringing back my faith on HiFiVision.

I am bit confused, as my budget is limited and my exposure to hi-end ( or semi high-end) stereo is almost zero, so, I think, I should start my 2channel stereo journey with Norge or Allied Accoustics ( Kolkata, Behala based company) :sad::sad::sad:

I also visited Yamaha showroom near Lake market, saw A S-500( box-packed), what I found that unit was made in Malaysia, though didn't get audition as there was no demo unit present then.

BTW, what is the price of PSB Alpha B1 ? any dealer in Kolkata?
Is there any dealer of NAD in Kolkata ?
How is the 'bass' on Yamaha A S-500 ?

With regards..:):)

Amit,

I depend hugely on my ears and not on the brand. I have found many people biased towards Marantz and NAD but again it is their choice and I respect everyone's choice. Something that works for me may not work for others and vice-versa.

Norge and Allied have severe aesthetic deficit. If you can overlook that part, Norge is the way to go. If you PM me your budget I can suggest a few more stuff for you. Take your time to decide.

I had a hard time deciding and took me months before I zeroed in on the Onkyo.

"Promises" is the dealer of both PSB and NAD. The PSB Alpha B1 cost 16K for a pair. These are decent bookshelves and do not expect glass shattering bass from them. They just deliver the natural bass, that's all.

I listened to the AS-500 with Yamaha speakers only as they had no other speakers. The sound was harsh with the high frequencies was hitting the ear drum more than required. After 30 minutes, I am sure I would turn the set off due to fatigue. The AS-500 had good bass but again it was played with Yamaha floors. The entire setup was way beyond my budget so I discarded it in a flash.

Another stereo amplifier that you may consider is the Harman Kardon HK 3490. I know there are not many in the forum who may own this product or had auditioned this. I being a marantz and yamaha fan for 2 channel music, my opinion on HK products had changed when I recently auditioned this receiver. This receiver has tons of power and "an array of multi-channel extras (digital-audio inputs, video switching, dual subwoofer outputs and Dolby Virtual Speaker technology). Add The Bridge II docking station, and the HK 3490 will connect as elegantly to your newfangled iPod as it does to your time-honoured turntable."

Hi, saw your video reviewing MS Aviano 6 Floorstander on youtube MS Aviano 6 Floorstander @ Home - YouTube , any idea, how much this cost in Kolkata and availability?

Please respond

That was a very old video when I played with the Denon AVR right after the purchase. The speaker were yet to break in during that time, now I play them strictly with AZUR 650A amp and the performance is several notches higher. I got the Aviano 6 from SKS Trader near paddapukur for 40K pair in 2011 but probably they are more inclined to sell Dali Zensor series now due to shortage of aviano series stock. You are welcome to audition the pair at my place (Dhakuria) or maxprcrj (Netaji Nagar) place on one of the weekends in case you want to look for used ones.

That was a very old video when I played with the Denon AVR right after the purchase. The speaker were yet to break in during that time, now I play them strictly with AZUR 650A amp and the performance is several notches higher. I got the Aviano 6 from SKS Trader near paddapukur for 40K pair in 2011 but probably they are more inclined to sell Dali Zensor series now due to shortage of aviano series stock. You are welcome to audition the pair at my place (Dhakuria) or maxprcrj (Netaji Nagar) place on one of the weekends in case you want to look for used ones.

Thank you Saikat,
Where is this 'maxprcrj' ? Used one could be a nice idea.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back