sonodyne SX 909 midrange speaker replacement.

Hi Friends,
I have recently bought a 2nd hand Sonodyne Uranus II. The midrange drivers of the speaker system (SX-909) had been replaced by the previous owner by Bolton Speakers. I want to replace them with the original ones. can Anybody help me out of this?
Regards,
Amitava

Attachments

• DSCN0212.jpg
    DSCN0212.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN0214.jpg
    DSCN0214.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 219
i have no idea about original sono drivers,
however you can try peerless and other drivers from here..bajao.com or locally...maintain driver dia exactly

Why don't you contact SONODYNE or their service center (KOLKATA) directly ?

I am sure they will help you.

Had contacted their kolkata service center. Neither do they have any spares for such old speakers nor do they have any specifications. The only help they could do to me was to say " Chandni Chowk mein khojiye.":eek:

Sonodyne is going to the dogs!
No specifications? No Service Manual? WTH!!!
Buddy, I cannot help you as the "Uranus I" came with the SX-606 speakers which were a two way bass-reflex speaker system. The 8 inch bass drivers were 20 watt rms Philips drivers. I think that the 909 has the 40 watt variant. Cannot help you with the tweeters and mid range drivers. Sorry. :eek:

I have the sonodyne original sx909 speaker. The original mid-range drivers were Japanese drivers while the woofers and tweeters were from Philips at that time made in Pune. While the mid-range driver is very good, the woofer needs some rework. The other good thing is that the box was hand crafted and very well made.

I have carried out some modifications, mainly worked on the woofer and put a new cross-over. I will post these mods in a separate thread, when I find some time.

Manoj

I would rather say that sell off those speakers and get a new pair of modern speakers. They will serve you much better than your existing speakers.

Sorry. A big NO for your suggestion. Will have to find out the original spares. May give me some pain but thats worth it.

I have the sonodyne original sx909 speaker. The original mid-range drivers were Japanese drivers while the woofers and tweeters were from Philips at that time made in Pune. While the mid-range driver is very good, the woofer needs some rework. The other good thing is that the box was hand crafted and very well made.

I have carried out some modifications, mainly worked on the woofer and put a new cross-over. I will post these mods in a separate thread, when I find some time.
Manoj

Thanks mate for your reply. Are you willing to sell off those boxes? If yes please PM me. Or else please help me to find out those mid ranges.
Thanks once again
Amitava Sengupta

Hi Amitava,
As I mentioned, I have carried out modifications on the system and presently I am very satisfied with it.

In my opinion the two strengths of the SX909 system is the mid-range driver and the box build. I have worked on the base driver, put better cross-overs and put acoustic absorbers. The system is still being burnt in, and I further plan to put better tweeters and change the capacitors.

The mid range driver, has sonodyne written on it but actually they are imported Japanese drivers of excellent quality. If you can find them in the used market, just grab them.

Manoj

Hi Amitava,
As I mentioned, I have carried out modifications on the system and presently I am very satisfied with it.

In my opinion the two strengths of the SX909 system is the mid-range driver and the box build. I have worked on the base driver, put better cross-overs and put acoustic absorbers. The system is still being burnt in, and I further plan to put better tweeters and change the capacitors.

The mid range driver, has sonodyne written on it but actually they are imported Japanese drivers of excellent quality. If you can find them in the used market, just grab them.

Manoj
Of course I will. But I stay too far from Kolkata (300Kms). So its hard for me to explore the market there:sad:. Please help me if you can.

Yes but a very few. Still I swear by the SQ of Uranus II

I was in similar mind frame with Sonodyne for long long time. I am into "hifi" audio since my childhood. My first encounter with Sonodyne was in the year 1994-95.

I know all good things about them. SA6000 Integrated Amp, 2065 deck recorder, SX909, SX606, Uranus II, Uranus III and everything in between. I owned most of them personally.

580 Integrated Amp that gets so hot people used to use fan over it to keep it cool. Lots and lots of memory with Sonodyne.

Owned Sonodyne Floorstanders 306 which cost me 15K back in 1998-99. Also had SiA 102R integrated Amp. You can see all in my album here in HFV.

I also use to swear by Sonodyne. Check out my old (initial) postings over here in HFV. You will see I am advocating Sonodyne. But then ... :)

History will repeat itself!!

Hi Amitava,

Manoj

can you please post some pics of you mods. would like to see them. waiting eagerly.

Hi Amitava,

Manoj
Hi
Can you tell me the specs of woofer used in sx-909?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back