Sony 32V550 OR Samsung 32B530 ?

tinkugitu

Dear Forum Members,

We decided to buy a LCD Tv and we are unable to decide between Sony 32V550 and Samsung 32B530. Here are some observations:

[1] Samsung costs 5K lesser than Sony.
[2] We liked the aesthetics of Samsung than that of Sony.

Please suggest me which one to chose.

Thank you
Chaitanya

I had checked out these 2 sets during the recent e-Zone sale. For all practical purposes, I couldn't make out any significant differences between the 2. Both looked great.

I had almost decided to go for the Samsung, but backed out at the last moment since I needed the funds elsewhere.

At the e-Zone sale the Samsung was offered to me at around 32K. No discounts on Sony.

What prices are you getting them at?

Hi Shuvc

Thanks for your reply.

Both are great. But we liked looks of Samsung because its speakers are invisible and the black strip around the screen is awesome. Sony has speakers below the power button strip, which we did not like.

Sony costs 42,900 INR and Samsung 37,990 INR. These prices are at Excite, Koramangala, Bangalore. Sony costs the same at Sony Center in Forum Value Mall. These are the prices quoted when I went for enquiry. Sony will not come down. But salesperson at Excite told that he can work out the price at the actual time of buying.

I am targeting to buy for Dasara and hoping that Samsung can be bought at 35K.

Regards
Chaitanya

Hi Shuvc

Thanks for your reply.

Both are great. But we liked looks of Samsung because its speakers are invisible and the black strip around the screen is awesome. Sony has speakers below the power button strip, which we did not like.

Sony costs 42,900 INR and Samsung 37,990 INR. These prices are at Excite, Koramangala, Bangalore. Sony costs the same at Sony Center in Forum Value Mall. These are the prices quoted when I went for enquiry. Sony will not come down. But salesperson at Excite told that he can work out the price at the actual time of buying.

I am targeting to buy for Dasara and hoping that Samsung can be bought at 35K.

Regards
Chaitanya

due to samsung concentrating more on aesthetics lately,they have compromised on sound quality,the sony does fare better in that regards.it also does sligtly better upscaling.the sony has a AMVA panel,in the samsung u may get any panel ranging from AMVA,SPVA,SMVA.
the SMVA being the worst.SPVA and AMVA are the better ones with AMVA panel based tvs having lesser input lag.the sony BE engines always have very low effect on input lag,the BE3 does have a higher input lag then the older BE2.but compared to other tvs from samsung,sharp,toshiba they are much better.

Adder agree on the same , but the question that comes to my mind is how many people these days use the internal tv speakers for sound,

Most of the people have HTIB or external speakers which they use for sound output and the internal tv speakers are on mute.

I am one of them, so then it would not make much difference on the sound output of the TV, but one would look for PQ and aesthetics thats just my personal view.

Of course if someone is planning to use the internal speakers then the situation changes totally, but i don't think they will sound that good compared to external ones

Adder agree on the same , but the question that comes to my mind is how many people these days use the internal tv speakers for sound,

Most of the people have HTIB or external speakers which they use for sound output and the internal tv speakers are on mute.

I am one of them, so then it would not make much difference on the sound output of the TV, but one would look for PQ and aesthetics thats just my personal view.

Of course if someone is planning to use the internal speakers then the situation changes totally, but i don't think they will sound that good compared to external ones

well for one i use internal speaker and to be frank majority still use internal speakers.i rearly switch on the 5.1 speakers.since its a pain with indian channels with each channel and ads having different volume levels.not all like excesive bass, or what if some old people have to operate the tv,they can't sit and memorize other remotes.again not all people have universal remotes.some people don't use 5.1 speakers for the lack of space.

so we have to think in other perspective.

Last edited:
Guys I bought the Samsung Series 5 Full HD model and then gave it back the very next day simply becoz the sound output was pathetic and the balance of colours was also not that realistic - i mean they feel very fabricated and extrapolated.
Finally got the Sony Bravia 32V550A and I am so happy for making the right decision. LG, Samsung and the likes sell basic offers and freebies - Sony sells basic features. The picture reproduction on the Bravia was exquisite and allowed me full control over how I wish to see it. The BE3 Engine and the Live Colour produced results miles ahead of what Samsung and LG were doing.
Enjoyed my High Definition movies - the sound output was way better with S-Force Surround on. The hidden speakers of Samsung/LG were of no match for the ones on Sony. With all the gimmicks in place for Samsung / LG - they r worth the price of 30-35k may be but Sony Bravia took the Lion's share with Stunning picture quality - well balanced output and colour tones. Hooked up to the THX certified Home theater and it gave me the same experience as in a cinema hall.
i strongly suggest Sony Bravia over Series 5 of Samsung.
Oh and one more thing - Contrast Ratio is a sales gimmick. It does help however to have a higher C-Ration however the black were way deeper on the sony....

Cheers...Vicky

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back