SONY 55" X80K vs 48" LG OLED A1 - both for 80,000/- : which one to go with OR any Other Suggestions?

paritosh

Hello gurus,

This is a second thread in the similar line of topics - but thought to keep it more focused.

I am dwelling between SONY 55" X80K and 48" LG OLED A1 - both are available at 80,000/- to me - final to pay price after all the discounts and cashbacks.
The TV is for main living room - well lit with natural light from the sides and viewing angle would be in an arc of 45degrees either sides of the dead center. Viewing distance at center is 7.5 feet.
My criterion of purchasing is best picture quality and viewing habits are:
1. Streaming 4K movies and shows from Netflix and Amazon and HOTSTAR
2. Streaming cricket matches from HOTSTAR
3. Will be used with TataPLAY Android Box
4. ZERO - ZILCH - NO GAMING!

My queries are:
1. Which one of the two to go for?
2. Is this the short list you agree to for a budget of 60-80k range? Or you would suggest any addition?
3. Will the brightness be sufficient of the given models to justify DOLBY Vision / HDR tags?
4. Will the normal Full HD content give too much stutter on these models?
5. How is the reliability of these models?
6. I have not considered any SAMSUNG QLED due to my skepticism for VA panels. Is that skepticism justified for my viewing angle?
7. Is X80J (2021 model) better than X80K (2022 model)? It is so according to rtings.com. Any experience of comparison?
8. Should I consider VU Master GLO / Hisense U6G? - how much is the reliability of VU / Hisense?

Last edited:
Hello gurus,

This is a second thread in the similar line of topics - but thought to keep it more focused.

I am dwelling between SONY 55" X80K and 48" LG OLED A1 - both are available at 80,000/- to me - final to pay price after all the discounts and cashbacks.
The TV is for main living room - well lit with natural light from the sides and viewing angle would be in an arc of 45degrees either sides of the dead center. Viewing distance at center is 7.5 feet.
The A1 48" during sales comes down to 65k or so, so definitely look out for them. For 80k budget I'd look for the 55" version.

The A1 48" no doubt. Anything below X90 series of Sony is really low-end stuff, and costs surprisingly high amount of money.
2. Is this the short list you agree to for a budget of 60-80k range? Or you would suggest any addition?
If you really need a 55" or above TV, also look at the Vu masterpiece glo. It's not branded stuff but the PQ should be good.

Also I think the Xiaomi OLED has the same panel as the A1 OLED and the 55" can be had around 75k after discounts.
Will the brightness be sufficient of the given models to justify DOLBY Vision / HDR tags?
X80K is a SDR only TV. The contrast ratio is low without local dimming. A1 will be good for DV/HDR in a dark room, but not in a bright one.

More than brightness, what matters for HDR is the dynamic range a TV can offer. A plain IPS panel with 1000 nits will still be poor for HDR because the blacks will be poor.
Will the normal Full HD content give too much stutter on these models?
Not really, both Sony and LG have good upscaling for most 1080p content. But 1080p cricket on hotstar will look crap on both. Just feed them content with decent bitrate and it will be fine.
How is the reliability of these models?
With TVs it is a matter of luck whether you get a lemon or not, but you can trust after sales of these companies to fix it.
have not considered any SAMSUNG QLED due to my skepticism for VA panels. Is that skepticism justified for my viewing angle?
VA is way better for TVs compared to IPS. The contrast ratio is 4-8 times that of IPS panels. I personally would never buy a TV with IPS, VA I can buy.
VA looks shit from side angles, IPS looks shit from every angle.
Is X80J (2021 model) better than X80K (2022 model)? It is so according to rtings.com. Any experience of comparison?
They are basically the same TV. Year to year differences in low end are basically none.
Should I consider VU Master GLO / Hisense U6G? - how much is the reliability of VU / Hisense?
If you are okay with 48", I'd take the A1 OLED over these. I wouldn't worry about reliability in case of TVs unless it's a widespread issue. Most of the issues if you're gonna get you'll get in first 2-3 months.

If you're worried about them going bad so much, just get the LG. their customer service is the best in the business.

7. Is X80J (2021 model) better than X80K (2022 model)? It is so according to rtings.com. Any experience of comparison?
From what I understand, they are basically the same TV, BUT with a difference in bezels, and remote control. The X80J has a larger bezel that wraps around to the front of the screen, while the X80K has a much thinner bezel that covers only the edge. IMHO (after comparing the 55" 80J at home and the 55" 80K in a showroom) the 80K's bezels are better in terms of the backlight bloom (is that the term?) not ruining the blacks. Granted, the showroom was a MUCH brighter room, but I preferred the seemingly darker blacks and significantly less backlight intrusiveness of the X80K.

As someone who's used the Sony X80J for about 3 months, I'd suggest that you get the LG A1. I like everything about the TV, except for the completely-ok-according-to-SONY (but not very satisfactory to me) backlight bleed levels, and the greyish blacks of the IPS panel. You could also look at the X90K or the X90J (more expensive, yes), which is a much better TV than the X80J.

From what I understand, they are basically the same TV, BUT with a difference in bezels, and remote control. The X80J has a larger bezel that wraps around to the front of the screen, while the X80K has a much thinner bezel that covers only the edge. IMHO (after comparing the 55" 80J at home and the 55" 80K in a showroom) the 80K's bezels are better in terms of the backlight bloom (is that the term?) not ruining the blacks. Granted, the showroom was a MUCH brighter room, but I preferred the seemingly darker blacks and significantly less backlight intrusiveness of the X80K.
That's probably because of the showroom lighting masking the bad blacks.

Here is the rtings comparison between the two: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/sony-x80j-vs-sony-x80k/21694/31223?usage=1&threshold=0.10

The X80K actually has worse blacks and contrast level than the X80J.

If you are particular on PQ, avoid anything below 9 series in sony. 8 series sony are general purpose tvs for kids rhymes and mega serials. Not for serious 4k content or for viewing in any less than ideal light conditions.

You can go with any OLED since they are almost same panels and poorest OLED is still better than anything below 9 series sony.

Hello gurus,

My queries are:
3. Will the brightness be sufficient of the given models to justify DOLBY Vision / HDR tags?
4. Will the normal Full HD content give too much stutter on these models?
5. How is the reliability of these models?
6. I have not considered any SAMSUNG QLED due to my skepticism for VA panels. Is that skepticism justified for my viewing angle?
8. Should I consider VU Master GLO / Hisense U6G? - how much is the reliability of VU / Hisense?
If you're worried about reliability, get insurance which is offered at the time of sale. You can get upto 5 years full cover insurance on both LG and Sony, which includes all parts and full replacement, as per my understanding.

Any set can conk off at any point of time.

If you are particular on PQ, avoid anything below 9 series in sony. 8 series sony are general purpose tvs for kids rhymes and mega serials. Not for serious 4k content or for viewing in any less than ideal light conditions.

You can go with any OLED since they are almost same panels and poorest OLED is still better than anything below 9 series sony.
Interestingly, the X85J from last year had a much better native contrast than the X90J/X95J (i.e. without local dimming engaged - not entirely moot as one would imagine at first blush) . Brightness wasn't too bad at around 550cd whereabouts. Decent for the price it was going for.

Interestingly, the X85J from last year had a much better native contrast than the X90J/X95J (i.e. without local dimming engaged - not entirely moot as one would imagine at first blush) . Brightness wasn't too bad at around 550cd whereabouts. Decent for the price it was going for.
The X85J cost more than entry-level OLEDs IIRC. And the contrast ratio difference was quite minor. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 5500:1 v/s 6300:1 unless they're side-by-side.

Even the 55" X85K right now costs >1 lakhs, which is more than A1/A2/B1/B2 OLED and costs very close to what people are getting 55" C1/C2 for.

They're decent in a vacuum but I honestly can't think of a scenario where I would buy an X80 or X85 series.

The X85J cost more than entry-level OLEDs IIRC. And the contrast ratio difference was quite minor. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 5500:1 v/s 6300:1 unless they're side-by-side.
Dunno about prices right now but when i got the X95G last year, the X85J was 1.2 for the 65". In fact, X90J was 1.5. No OLED of 65" was available below 1.5 (A1 was 1.6).

Also, if you look at the measured performance specs, the X85j was close enough to the X90J. In fact, contrast was based without local dimming on the X85j vs FALD of X90J.

Even the 55" X85K right now costs >1 lakhs, which is more than A1/A2/B1/B2 OLED and costs very close to what people are getting 55" C1/C2 for.

They're decent in a vacuum but I honestly can't think of a scenario where I would buy an X80 or X85 series.
Thats because people fear burn ins and a Sony product brand value over LG product even if the PQ is better in an OLED. And X85 is 120 hertz VA panel direct lit without local dimming. A1 if i remember right is 60 hertz. So gamers might prefer X85.

Thats because people fear burn ins and a Sony product brand value over LG product even if the PQ is better in an OLED.
Include me in the fearful category! 😬

Thankfully, no burn in post 5500+ hours of usage on the G1 (despite plenty of static elements on screen).
And X85 is 120 hertz VA panel direct lit without local dimming. A1 if i remember right is 60 hertz. So gamers might prefer X85.
Not just gamers. Even use of a PC (which i do) over a 120hz screen is much more smoother/fluid as opposed to 60hz.

Also, if you look at the measured performance specs, the X85j was close enough to the X90J.
The X85J fails on the most important criteria for HDR, local dimming and peak brightness.
In fact, contrast was based without local dimming on the X85j vs FALD of X90J.
But the X90J has FALD while the X85J does not, and it's a huge difference. A FALD display can display pure black while a non-FALD can simply not. So the theoretical peak contrast of any FALD display can be infinite if the black encompasses one dimming zone or higher.

The rtings contrast of X90J is so poor because they measure it on a checkerboard and X90J zones don't align properly, so it's a worst-case scenario. In most real-world scenarios the X90J will look much better.

I've auditioned X85J v/s X90J myself and it's not even close.
Thats because people fear burn ins and a Sony product brand value over LG product even if the PQ is better in an OLED.
Based on what I've seen the brand value of Sony and LG are about equal. Sony used to have much higher brand value but not anymore. Sony's phones are dead, walkman is dead, Vaio is dead and Sony is using LG/Samsung panels to stay competitive. Sony is a dying brand.
X85 is 120 hertz VA panel direct lit without local dimming. A1 if i remember right is 60 hertz. So gamers might prefer X85.
120Hz doesn't properly work on X85J, with broken VRR and 4k 120 4:4:4 not working.
Not just gamers. Even use of a PC (which i do) over a 120hz screen is much more smoother/fluid as opposed to 60hz.
X85J can't do 4k 120 4:4:4, so pretty useless for PC use. Also, a big VA panel will look awful on PC use due to poor viewing angles.

The X85J fails on the most important criteria for HDR, local dimming and peak brightness.

But the X90J has FALD while the X85J does not, and it's a huge difference. A FALD display can display pure black while a non-FALD can simply not. So the theoretical peak contrast of any FALD display can be infinite if the black encompasses one dimming zone or higher.

The rtings contrast of X90J is so poor because they measure it on a checkerboard and X90J zones don't align properly, so it's a worst-case scenario. In most real-world scenarios the X90J will look much better.

I've auditioned X85J v/s X90J myself and it's not even close.

Based on what I've seen the brand value of Sony and LG are about equal. Sony used to have much higher brand value but not anymore. Sony's phones are dead, walkman is dead, Vaio is dead and Sony is using LG/Samsung panels to stay competitive. Sony is a dying brand.

120Hz doesn't properly work on X85J, with broken VRR and 4k 120 4:4:4 not working.

X85J can't do 4k 120 4:4:4, so pretty useless for PC use. Also, a big VA panel will look awful on PC use due to poor viewing angles.
What i hinted was there are two schools of thoughts around similar prices of X85 vs A1 that salesmen would use to justify one over other. Informed purchasers would have the right one pinned. And Sony is still the gold standard for a large TV installed in the living room by the average family man. Kind of like "kya baath hai humare padosiyon big size Sony TV kharida hai". Owners pride neighbours envy. That kind of appeal does not ironically come for LG or Samsung among the public but a niche segment might know the truth. And ofcourse smart people like you would pick the best TV for the buck but we are talking about an average walkin customer with no idea will fall for an X85 over an A1. Every. Single. Second.

And Sony is still the gold standard for a large TV installed in the living room by the average family man. Kind of like "kya baath hai humare padosiyon big size Sony TV kharida hai". Owners pride neighbours envy.
I don't even know if my neighbour has a TV, and honestly, with the recent wealth Indians have gathered over the last decade, envy over electronics has vanished entirely as almost anyone can afford them. Sure, a 3 lac Sony A95K is expensive, but most middle-class Indians can afford it, especially over EMI.

Hello.

I visited LG store. Don't think 55" A1 OLED will be available.
But, I saw QNED 81.
Its an edge lit, 55" 120hz panel with alpha 5th generation processor and 2 HDMI 2.1 ports with eARC.
These specs seem to me comparable to X85K + the picture quality and brightness is same if not better than X80K.

so...
X80K vs QNED81??

Hello.

I visited LG store. Don't think 55" A1 OLED will be available.
But, I saw QNED 81.
Its an edge lit, 55" 120hz panel with alpha 5th generation processor and 2 HDMI 2.1 ports with eARC.
These specs seem to me comparable to X85K + the picture quality and brightness is same if not better than X80K.

so...
X80K vs QNED81??
I'd suggest to look into lg 55" c2 oled. Apart from that 55" x80k is also good. I didn't see the qned81 so can't really comment on that. Even frame2022 also has very soothing picture.

X80K is a SDR only TV. The contrast ratio is low without local dimming. A1 will be good for DV/HDR in a dark room, but not in a bright one.

More than brightness, what matters for HDR is the dynamic range a TV can offer. A plain IPS panel with 1000 nits will still be poor for HDR because the blacks will be poor.
Are you sure?
The specs say otherwise. HDR supported.

Are you sure?
The specs say otherwise. HDR supported.
It can decode HDR streams, but the display isn’t good enough. The brightness is meh, contrast is really bad with IPS panel and there is no local dimming.

This level of TV is better served just for SDR viewing

Yup thats true. Just Having HDR is only functional. Its impact can be felt only when 1) peak brightness nits are high enough and 2) The TV can produce truly deep black levels.

The biggest problem with HDR tech is that in order to deliver a really impactful high contrasty image, it pulls the two aspects of image in extreme directions - 1) the dim parts are made dimmer and 2) the bright parts are made brighter. This intended effect can be achieved and felt only when Blacks are deep and correct enough similar to OLED levels and Peak Brightness capability is almost eye-blinding high enough at least above 1000 nits.

Very few TVs are actually capable of showing the intended HDR effect and with a base model like X80K HDR is just functional and practically non existent for its intentions

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back