Sony Bravia KDL EX650 Vs Samsung UA40ES56

Status
Not open for further replies.
may i ask what stuff and from what device did you watch??also any 55 panel any make any brand without side by side compare is good enough to look at....side by side comapre is the method

poor motion can be easily judged.
.I am giving you exact scene...
the world is not enough boat chasing sequence.....
die another day starting hovercraft action seqence..

there are many many....apart from those......

OK. I watched Dark Knight on Sony PS3. My reckoning is that any of the Batman movies can be used to judge black levels - and LM8600 was working perfectly fine when I watched this movie.

There is a feature called Trumotion in LG TVs - I suggest you activate that judge motion blur. Frankly, I think no TV of any brand has motion blur as an issue nowadays. In fact, almost all TVs are going the opposite way - the picture is so clear that you wish you get some motion blur - just to instill that bit of drama - especially for movies.

I would also like to learn where you could get your hands on LG LM9600 - I want to see that TV in person!

Demo both the TV's buy playing SD and HD content and judge for yourself, usually here when anyone asks for a LCD suggestion the trend has always been that a bunch of Sony fan boys suggesting Sony TV's, for reasons that they might be owning the TV or they simply love the name Sony.

I own 3 sony LCD's(55" EX720x1 and 46" EX520x2) and i don't like them one bit starting form their build quality.

I suggest read reviews which provides in depth measurements and also let your eyes be your judge and select which ever you feel is suitable for you. IPS is not that bad as some folks seem to project here, in fact IPS panels on apple phones,tablets and laptops are praised to have great contrast and blacks,color accuracy is best obtained in IPS panels and viewing angles.

The suggestions provided by people here (including me) should only influence 5% of your buying decision and another 5-10% could be from a well measured review, the remaining 85-90% should be based on your demo of the television you plan to buy.

If you blindly buy products based on suggestions given here then your purchase is going to be pointless.

You see a lot of posts suggesting ex650 over the 40ES5600 but no one cares to mention why, does the ex650 have better blacks and contrast? does it have better processing? do they have measurements or any kind of proof to back up these claims? i guess no.

Go explore yourself and don't fall in fan-boy traps. :)

@Indian11, @Kamalnayan

I have no intention of bashing LG as you may be feeling. I said in my post earlier also that it's due to the IPS panels that LG TVs have poor blacks and contrast compared to Samsung/Sony. As adder mentioned, even Sony TVs with IPS panels have the same poor blacks and low contrast.

Read these reviews of LG LM9600 (the best LG TV) and you may understand what I'm trying to say. My intention is only to clear some misconceptions about IPS panel that you guys may be having due to LG marketing.

HDTVTest UK Review of LG LM9600

LG 47LM960V Performance

More realistically, the black patch in the middle of an ANSI test chart returned 0.169 cd/m2, 0.148 cd/m2, and 0.158 cd/m2 for the Low, Medium and High local dimming settings, and 0.174 cd/m2 with the feature turned off. Either way, dont get caught up in the small differences although theyre standard for IPS LCD, none of these are particularly impressive blacks.

CNET Review

LG 55LM9600 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review - page 2

The ability to produce a deep black is the most important element of any TV's picture. If a TV performs poorly here, its image will look weak and lifeless, lacking what some people call "three-dimensionality." While there have been several TVs with lighter black levels than the LM9600's this year -- LG's own LM6700 and the atrocious Panasonic DT50, for example -- for none has quite so much money been asked.

DigitalVersus LG LM8600 Review

LG 47LM860V: Full Review

However, the contrast is still a little low, at 970:1 when the best models reach over 4000:1, giving an image that's four times as contrasted!

The main problem is that the black just isn't deep enoughit actually looks a bit grey.3D image quality is almost flawless. In fact, this is one of the best TVs for 3D viewing out there right now. However, the general image calibration could be better and contrast is too low.

FlatpanelsHD LM9600 review

LG LM9600 / LM960V review - FlatpanelsHD

LM9600 is a great performer in many areas, but it has some issues that we found hard to abstract from. The most important one is the faulty 1080p24 implementation, which causes the TV to introduce motion blurring when showing Blu-ray movies. The other one is the high level of input lag. The Nano LED technology also worked in a different manner than expected. Instead of relying on a full local dimming system, it only has a few zones and fails to reproduce the same deep black levels as last years LW9800 model.

HomeTheaterMagazine Review LM9600

LG 55LM9600 3D LCD HDTV Page 2 | Home Theater

The sets only real shortcomings are black level and shadow detail. It isnt that theyre unacceptably bad. They arent. But even with LED Local Dimming on High (and youll want to have local dimming onthe blacks are dramatically worse without it), theyre little better than average among todays high-end sets.

AVForums Review

LG LM960 (55LM960V) 55 Inch 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Despite the 55LM960's striking design, excellent Smart TV features and impressive calibration controls, it let's itself down in two very important areas - black levels and backlight uniformity.
We can't say were were surprised by the black levels because they have never been LG's strong point but they were very poor even for a LCD TV and measured 0.25 cd/m2 in their native form. Due to the poor black levels, shadow detail also suffered, making it difficult to distinguish details in dark scenes.

The difference in black levels between the two was quite shocking and even with the 55LM960's local dimming set to high, the P55VT50 was vastly superior.

As you can see I've picked THE most trusted and respected Television review sites on the Internet and they all say the same thing about LG's flagship TV. Again, the problem is the panel itself. If LG uses VA panel they can make as good a TV as Sony HX950 and they have in the past - LEX8/LHX55 etc are OUTSTANDING TVs. Just that the 2012 lineup is NOT impressive at all.

There is a reason why Philips uses IPS panels in their low end tvs and use panels of VA origin in high end flagship models.
There is a reason why one of the best lcd tvs considered by reputed review sites and magazines over the years all had VA panels like Sony X450A,HX9xx,HX8xx ,samsung B8500/x8xxx ,philips 970x H9xx, sharp elite etc .

^
adder, also add LG's own LEX8 and LHX to that ELITE list using VA panel. Both are among the BEST TVs ever made, not just best LCD TVs

Last edited:
This thread has now delained from KDL EX650 Vs Samsung UA40ES56 to LG flagship's black level and contrast according to reviewers.

If real time blacks and contrast is what one then wants he should not touch any LCD by a barge pole.

The same FlatpanelsHD criticized HX850 for it many disadvantages in picture quality.

@Indian11, @Kamalnayan

I have no intention of bashing LG as you may be feeling. I said in my post earlier also that it's due to the IPS panels that LG TVs have poor blacks and contrast compared to Samsung/Sony. As adder mentioned, even Sony TVs with IPS panels have the same poor blacks and low contrast.

Read these reviews of LG LM9600 (the best LG TV) and you may understand what I'm trying to say. My intention is only to clear some misconceptions about IPS panel that you guys may be having due to LG marketing.

HDTVTest UK Review of LG LM9600

LG 47LM960V Performance

More realistically, the black patch in the middle of an ANSI test chart returned 0.169 cd/m2, 0.148 cd/m2, and 0.158 cd/m2 for the Low, Medium and High local dimming settings, and 0.174 cd/m2 with the feature turned off. Either way, dont get caught up in the small differences although theyre standard for IPS LCD, none of these are particularly impressive blacks.

CNET Review

LG 55LM9600 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review - page 2

The ability to produce a deep black is the most important element of any TV's picture. If a TV performs poorly here, its image will look weak and lifeless, lacking what some people call "three-dimensionality." While there have been several TVs with lighter black levels than the LM9600's this year -- LG's own LM6700 and the atrocious Panasonic DT50, for example -- for none has quite so much money been asked.

DigitalVersus LG LM8600 Review

LG 47LM860V: Full Review

However, the contrast is still a little low, at 970:1 when the best models reach over 4000:1, giving an image that's four times as contrasted!

The main problem is that the black just isn't deep enoughit actually looks a bit grey.3D image quality is almost flawless. In fact, this is one of the best TVs for 3D viewing out there right now. However, the general image calibration could be better and contrast is too low.

FlatpanelsHD LM9600 review

LG LM9600 / LM960V review - FlatpanelsHD

LM9600 is a great performer in many areas, but it has some issues that we found hard to abstract from. The most important one is the faulty 1080p24 implementation, which causes the TV to introduce motion blurring when showing Blu-ray movies. The other one is the high level of input lag. The Nano LED technology also worked in a different manner than expected. Instead of relying on a full local dimming system, it only has a few zones and fails to reproduce the same deep black levels as last years LW9800 model.

HomeTheaterMagazine Review LM9600

LG 55LM9600 3D LCD HDTV Page 2 | Home Theater

The sets only real shortcomings are black level and shadow detail. It isnt that theyre unacceptably bad. They arent. But even with LED Local Dimming on High (and youll want to have local dimming onthe blacks are dramatically worse without it), theyre little better than average among todays high-end sets.

AVForums Review

LG LM960 (55LM960V) 55 Inch 3D LED LCD TV Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Despite the 55LM960's striking design, excellent Smart TV features and impressive calibration controls, it let's itself down in two very important areas - black levels and backlight uniformity.
We can't say were were surprised by the black levels because they have never been LG's strong point but they were very poor even for a LCD TV and measured 0.25 cd/m2 in their native form. Due to the poor black levels, shadow detail also suffered, making it difficult to distinguish details in dark scenes.

The difference in black levels between the two was quite shocking and even with the 55LM960's local dimming set to high, the P55VT50 was vastly superior.

As you can see I've picked THE most trusted and respected Television review sites on the Internet and they all say the same thing about LG's flagship TV. Again, the problem is the panel itself. If LG uses VA panel they can make as good a TV as Sony HX950 and they have in the past - LEX8/LHX55 etc are OUTSTANDING TVs. Just that the 2012 lineup is NOT impressive at all.

why only quoting the LG one....I think Sony and Samsung have the same issue as well,,,,,aren't they?

^

Only IPS panel TVs have these issues, not VA panel. Only 1 Sony model uses IPS (low end), Samsung there is no IPS model.

Let us forget the panel and technology for a moment and just trust our eyes. I went to Croma yesterday and was looking at equivelently priced LED models. Luckily these were kept side by side - quite unlike some multi-brand shops whether they group one brand at one place.

While looking at Sony EX650, Samsung 5 Series and LG LV<something>, Toshiba and Philips, I could clearly observe that Sony was the best and then followed by Philips. Toshiba, Samsung and LG were at par. Going to Sony HX750, Samsung 6 Series and others, I felt the same. The images in Sony were sharper, crisper and colours deeper (the yellow of the excavator machine was more lifelike for eaxmple). But Sony was also the costliest - perhaps as much as 4K. Is that extra price worth paying? It depends. Some would say "yes, the PQ justifies", whereas others would say "no, I am paying for the brand name; who cares whether the saas and bahu sarees appear deep red or lighter?". I belong to the former category. :p

Last edited:
EX650.

The HX750 is definitely better but they are people who do not need 3D, etc. Come to think of it, they do not need smart TV features either and do not have internet at home even. Most of the time, they watch regional TV or news and father-in-law (a car enthusiast) watches F1 sports, Top Gear, 5th Gear, BBC, etc.

Going to Sony HX750, Samsung 6 Series and others, I felt the same.The images in Sony were sharper, crisper and colours deeper (the yellow of the excavator machine was more lifelike for eaxmple.

What according to you is sharper and crisper? i am just curious to know. :)

When you say colors deeper in the sense? you saw shadows better on that yellow? you that the yellow had different shades properly which were easier to differentiate? or was the yellow more prominent which made you feel it looks punchier?

I am asking this because people tend to believe more popping bright color or dark color as life like and which can never be true, also most of Samsung's television this year has been praised for their color accuracy in many measurements.

Even if you did see real yellow in a Sony LCD's, that depends on so many factors like one most important thing called reflection, Sony panels tend to reflect less in showroom conditions compared to Samsung, did you try changing setting and play around with the TV or just compare with the standard setting which was set in the showroom? because comparing a television by standard setting makes zero sense.

I am going to repeat again, i have been using my recent purchases of Sony LCD's since past one year and i calibrated them using settings from AVS forums and made adjustments according to the room lighting conditions and most viewed material, no matter what i did i was never able to see proper reds or even whites in my 55" EX720, the pic always appears over sharp(artificial sharpness) which made the pic hurt the eyes and was not pleasing as my Samsung or Panasonic plasma for longer periods of viewing.Added to all this they reduce judder using soap opera effect which spoiled the train action scenes in the move called Unstoppable which lost totally lost the cinematic feel.

I think i will play the same movie in my Samsung plasma and the sony LCD and take some pics and post here, also if possible i will shoot all these tv while playing same content in chroma after playing around with the settings and post here.

Last edited:
why do people even bother to buy a tv which they don't like at all? Was the person blind-folded at the time of purchasing..cause commenting repeatedly to bash a particular brand won't change others' opinion cause in reality people do check all brands in showroom and judge what's best for an individual.

I did not buy the TV but people in my family bought it, why do you assume things and post stuff which makes no sense?

You can assume what you want to assume..why didn't you tell people in your family not to buy sony and tell everything regarding sony's pic quality being not good as you posted in multiple thread.

why do people even bother to buy a tv which they don't like at all? Was the person blind-folded at the time of purchasing..cause commenting repeatedly to bash a particular brand won't change others' opinion cause in reality people do check all brands in showroom and judge what's best for an individual.

I didn't find the need to post this reply..How come one know all the stuffs of a TV when he haven't purchased it..
Can you demo all the features of even a LCD TV kept in a electronic store, the answer undoubtedly is No.

I think there is no point arguing with people who are never gonna listen to anybody else.
So dont argue bro lake1988

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk

why didn't you tell people in your family not to buy sony and tell everything regarding sony's pic quality being not good as you posted in multiple thread.

Sure i did, but i did not push it into tier throats, they felt LCD's look better in showroom and they bought three of them(because Sony was cheaper in grey),but after they got it setup i played a bluray of Leon the professional in all the TV's and they all were amazed how good the plasma was.I am sure next time they will never ever buy an LCD specially Sony because my brother thinks its a big mistake he bought the 55" EX72.

Sure i post in multiple threads, i choose everything there is blind brand support for a brand dissing others brand as inferior with zero proof to back up, just like every one of your posts about sony in this forum. I don't post in thread where there is casual discussion.

I think there is no point arguing with people who are never gonna listen to anybody else.
Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk

Says the guy who does not even bother to read the thread title but assumes that every thread here is related to HX850.

With respect to all, let's not pick a fight just like it hapened in some other posts. In absolute terms, none of the brands or models are perfect. If one model performs better in one aspect, it loses on other aspects. Except for few models, most of the models belonging to the same category (like mid-range, high-end, low-end categories) perform more or less same.
I can give you an example - There are expert reviews which claimed Elite to be better than Sony in black level/contrast, where as other reviews said that Sony was better than Elite in Color depth. Now can any one say in absolute terms that Elite is superior to Sony or the other way ? Even if one expert says that he prefers one over the other, it is strictly based on his final individual preference. Even the kuro is not spared. What I mean is that kuro is not untouchable, but I don't mean it in a disrespectful way to it. Sorry if I am repeating again. No one on the earth has manufactured a machine which is absolutely superior to the other.
If we beleive the other way, we are only living with a false sense of pride.
Let's make sure that this thread is not removed. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Because those individual are brand racists whose racists posts date back to 09.Their job is is just to bash and make the brand look like its the worst of all.That same individual have called reviews sites like HDtvtest.co.uk crap. :lol: .

Those individual has admitted bashing this brand is a better work to do.And finally that individual has admitted to just hate this brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back