Sony Bravia KDL EX650 Vs Samsung UA40ES56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that greek website is doing just fine .Apart from reviewing,they are the only ones who do a teardown of the every tv they review,which(samsung lately doesn't allow them to do).Its because of them many know the internals of most tvs without actually removing them themself.They have criticized every tv for their flaws.

You even quoted from that same website to your advantage.

You called HDTVTEST.co.uk CRAP and yet have used it for your advantages.You have even quoted from cnet to your advantage and dismiss them if they say anything good about it.You have done it to virtually all website use them for you advantage and dismiss them if they post anything good about Sony.

Hell you even laughed at televsioninfo :lol:

ha ha ha ..:lol: the war started again.

Can I say one thing to both avmaxfan and longshanks ? The posts posted by you both only indicate where the same review site says X is best on one instance and Y as the best in another instance. What it all indicates is that none of the models can claim that they are the best ...

I maintain this and this is the fact - None on this earth made by man is perfect. If ES8000 wins on some points, then HX853 wins on some other points. No one is a clear winner here and I will choose to maintain the same. After all, the final verdict is given by the individual preference. Even the greatest HDTV Gurus are no exception to that. Even if they say that X is better than Y, it is strictly based on a particular parameter and so that does not mean that X is the best. We can see lots of examples written by gurus like Chad B, D Nice, Miller or who ever it is and they only say X > Y based on one partucular parameter. Even Kuro is no exception and it is just some crazy fans wants to show it as untouchable. In fact in one of the posts, D Nice, who is a fan of kuro, was made to say that both 2012 Panasonic and kuro are identical (some cases kuro slightly better and some other cases, Pana 2012 looks be better as per his post). I am just giving this as an example and please don't read anything further on these examples I quoted.
Guys - can you confidently say that the model you like is absolutely superior on all grounds when compared to other models ?
I am sorry to post this, but ...
Why do you want to fight on behalf of those brands like Sony, Samsung or any other brand for the matter ??? None of these brands/companies are going to come and rescue when you are in crisis. and still why such a madness on these brands ?
Just buy whatever model you like, just watch it and enjoy rather than bleeding yourself for those companies who don't bother anything for you. They won't even shed any tears for you....
Guys, I hope you take it in a right spirit. Please exchange private messages between you guys and sort it out rather spilling it over to the public.

what I am trying say is none of these companies deserve any such passion or love ... You suffer by loosing your peace of mind which is more precious than these companies. Those companies are here to milk money and not for doing any human service. So please do not loose your peace of mind over this issue.

All is true shanmune,but you forget that person in question has been trying to make look Sony as if its the worst from the very beginning.
Lets say a tv newbie or the average joe joins this forum and asks a query and you give false information by only showing the negatives and just discarding the positives.thats what he has been doing so,only quote reviews that can be used against Sony .So you will be giving false information,there by the credibility of the forums suffers.

Lets say for eg a person start spamming each and every panasonic or samsung plasma thread and keep on posting about how that the panasonic or samsung are crap and how other tvs are better ,what would you say if that person did that from the very beginning of joining this forum.

Last edited:
All is true shanmune,but you forget that person in question has been trying to make look Sony as if its the worst from the very beginning.
Lets say a tv newbie or the average joe joints this forum and you give false information by only showing the negatives and just discarding the positives.thats what he has been doing so,only quote reviews that can be used against Sony .

I understand. Just like what rangan said, just ignore if you see any intentional provocation and that's all one can do.

what I am trying say is none of these companies deserve any such passion or love

Exactly my point, you note all my pasty posts i reply only on threads where people try and push Sony as the best ever to any one and everyone who asks for an advice, they just don't stop with saying Sony is like god but they also try and degrade brands like LG, Samsung, Philips and Panasonic and that is where i come in;)

Where ever there is brand love and blind bias and fanboyism i will always be there to prove them wrong.

yours truly :D

ha ha ha ..:lol: the war started again.

Can I say one thing to both avmaxfan and longshanks ? The posts posted by you both only indicate where the same review site says X is best on one instance and Y as the best in another instance. What it all indicates is that none of the models can claim that they are the best ...

I maintain this and this is the fact - None on this earth made by man is perfect. If ES8000 wins on some points, then HX853 wins on some other points. No one is a clear winner here and I will choose to maintain the same. After all, the final verdict is given by the individual preference. Even the greatest HDTV Gurus are no exception to that. Even if they say that X is better than Y, it is strictly based on a particular parameter and so that does not mean that X is the best. We can see lots of examples written by gurus like Chad B, D Nice, Miller or who ever it is and they only say X > Y based on one partucular parameter. Even Kuro is no exception and it is just some crazy fans wants to show it as untouchable. In fact in one of the posts, D Nice, who is a fan of kuro, was made to say that both 2012 Panasonic and kuro are identical (some cases kuro slightly better and some other cases, Pana 2012 looks be better as per his post). I am just giving this as an example and please don't read anything further on these examples I quoted.
Guys - can you confidently say that the model you like is absolutely superior on all grounds when compared to other models ?
I am sorry to post this, but ...
Why do you want to fight on behalf of those brands like Sony, Samsung or any other brand for the matter ??? None of these brands/companies are going to come and rescue when you are in crisis. and still why such a madness on these brands ?
Just buy whatever model you like, just watch it and enjoy rather than bleeding yourself for those companies who don't bother anything for you. They won't even shed any tears for you....
Guys, I hope you take it in a right spirit. Please exchange private messages between you guys and sort it out rather spilling it over to the public.

At last. Some words of wisdom. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Exactly my point, you note all my pasty posts i reply only on threads where people try and push Sony as the best ever to any one and everyone who asks for an advice, they just don't stop with saying Sony is like god but they also try and degrade brands like LG, Samsung, Philips and Panasonic and that is where i come in;)

Where ever there is brand love and blind bias and fanboyism i will always be there to prove them wrong.

yours truly :D

If you feel that a particular brand has been pushed as the best, you have every right to reply, but you may need to put things in the right perspective.
If not put in the right perspective, even the valid/genuine points posted by you might look like taking a dig at others or bashing a particular brand. At least as a neutral person, some times I feel that you are taking a dig at avmaxfan and in the process, all your good points are clubbed together as invalid.

I guess things are getting cooled down and I hope I am right. From now on, Let's start our exchange of information more positively. A point by point debate can happen. If X posts a message and Y can also post a reply on a point-by-point basis rather than getting personal (either by being sarcastic ot taking a dig at a person). In that process, one may post a point which may be factually wrong and it is okay or normal to have that after all he/she is a human Suppose if X posts a point which is factually wrong, then Y should clarify and explain to X with genuine reasons/points on why it was factually incorrect rather than giving an angry response and disrespecting X.

I am seeing you guys getting cooled down and I am really waiting to see you both exchanging very helpful and positive points. :cool:

Beauty of forums is that we get to see diverse opinions. That is why we ask in the first place. However this is yet another instance when things went totally out of control & becomes personal between few individuals.

Will someone actually bother to answer/guide the OP as per the request/subject?

There is no surer way to check enough is better than to visit various multi-brand showrooms and test models side by side.

Any unbiased member who can read both of our past posts will know who is gets personal.

You even went ahead spoke nonsense about a top end LG LCD to a person who owns the same and making him look bad and regret his decision.

I hope this is for me. Let me tell everyone that I don't regret my decision of getting the LG 3d TV.
I researched a lot about all the possible TV's that were in my list. Not only on this forum but others like thinkdigit, cnet, hdtvtest, avsforum and I found that LG has a edge over the others in terms of passive glasses, picture quality, the design.
No doubt Sony was close to the mark but unfortunately not till the last.

There is no surer way to check enough is better than to visit various multi-brand showrooms and test models side by side.

rightly said, anyone willing to get a TV, visit all the brands showrooms you have in your mind and then you can discuss the pros and cons of the same here.

Here members' personal views are based on reviews of some reputed sites one of them being CNET.
It's up to individual's perspective to buy a tv finally based on his judgement at the time of demo.
I've seen multiple posts of various members saying they wanted to purchase a tv between sony/samsung..they visited showroom and sony's pic quality is bit better than samsung..also they wanted to playback all formats in tv..as sony doesn't support mkv directly we advised them to go with samsung..also other members wanted to go for better pic quality and happy to invest in media player for playback file..we advised them to go with sony.

Regarding IPS panel..color accuracy is not the only parameter to measure/judge pic quality..black level and contrast ratio are equally important to produce good pic quality.

While LG,Panasonic use IPS panel Sony,Samsung use SPVA panel. SPVA produce far better black level and higher contrast ratio than IPS while IPS panel has advantage only in viewing angle.
In CNET, majority of sony/samsung models are rated higher than lg/panasonic models.

People can take any site review to be aligned to their own liking but people buy tv after proper demo only...so if people express their views that after a demo a particular brand looks bit better than other ones there is no point in posting comments from various(not so competent) website if they have posted some lines bashing that brand.

Last edited:
^^^ Well said. Couldn't have said better.

IPS panel's advantage is not only Color and Viewing angle but natively IPS is the brightest of all LCD panel types. Even samsung has switched to IPS for many of their devices from SPVA(except for their televisions) and they call it SuperPLS and SLCD2.
here are a few other advantages.

IPS panels can process high speed signals without data loss by using copper wiring with low resistance values.
IPS Panels offer clear images and stable response time.
IPS panels display consistent and accurate color from all viewing angles

IPS panel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LCD types: TN vs. VA vs. IPS - Feature - TVs - CNET Asia

As far as many people thinking Sony has better picture than other televisions involves many factors, Sony has traditionally had a big name of television in Asia and USA, Asians and Americans have mostly preferred Sony's way of producing picture since the CRT days.

Because of this name Sony created and the fact their televisions are priced higher than most other brands the customer tends to think it is because they offer a better product but that should not stop anyone form deeply analyzing the television forgetting what brand or what price before making a final decision.

It is just like how most Indian consumers who live in major cities tend to think Bose is the final word in high end audio, but in reality Bose is not even remotely close to being high end in terms of the quality audio it produces, there are products which costs 20% of what Bose does can sound many times better.

The last time i was seriously considering to buy an LCD was like few years ago(2009) when i saw a Philips 9803 in Singapore which was kept near a high end Sharp and Sony LCD(all the three television were very expensive), me and my friend were in that store for like 2 hours watching different content and playing with the settings, that 9803 was way head of both the Sharp and Sony LCD(specially the way it displayed so much more details), it sure had halo's because it was a local dimming LCD.But i dropped the plan in the next 1 hour as soon i saw a pioneer kuro playing in the next section :)

Philips 42PFL9803H review - FlatpanelsHD

So the objective always has to be to buy a good product which suits your needs.When one goes to buy he should forget the brand name and only look at the product, it could be from Akai or from some unknown Chinese company but if they offer great product, which is also fairly reliable, which you feel suits your personal taste then people should buy without any hesitation.

Last edited:
So please explain why Samsung is still using SPVA panel for their tvs..actually These companies do far more research in this field and know which panel will produce best picture quality.

Why LG,Panasonic,NEC and Barco use IPS panels for their large displays and why does every picture studio use IPS based panel for their professional use? so you saying Barco and NEC don't do any research?

The intention of my post was to tell everyone not be brand or a specific kind of technology minded but rather choose a product which they actually feel is good(with a fair knowledge how they measure in various pic parameters).

As far as why Samsung uses SPVA is just like why sharp uses ASV and MVA , its their panel technology so they try to push the same.

I am not saying SPVA is bad but SPVA and IPS have thier own advantages and disadvantages, considering the advantages IPS is the reason why Samsung recently started making SuperPLS, may be they use might use it in their televisions in future, only time can tell.

Honestly i don't care what panel a television uses or if its plasma or LCD or some toothpick technology, all i care is if the final picture is up to my preference and if measures well in all parameter(on an average) and not just one or two.

Last edited:
For tvs contrast ratio is the primary criteria in picture quality.Even the kevin miller says so in those VE shoot out videos.Higher the contrast more perception of depth in the image.Not to say color accuracy is least important but that comes behind contrast.
The best lcd tvs thus like XBR8/x450A,HX9xx ,samsung B8500,x8xxxx ,sharp elite,philips 97xx all had VA panels for a reason.Out of those companies only 2 make their own panels and the others can choose which every panel or tech they want,but they all went with a panel of VA origin and thats because of there sheer contrast edge.
Philips now far the past few years uses VA panel for their flagship tvs.

I personally prefer IPS panels in phones and laptops and even monitors because for these products viewing angles are more important.

Look at the LG plasma in the shoot out of 2011 it had THX certification for its colors and it did score very well in colors,but it came out last in shootout since no matter how good the colors was the contrast was just awful with poorest blacks and everybody gave it lowest score.

Last edited:
Regarding IPS panel..color accuracy is not the only parameter to measure/judge pic quality..black level and contrast ratio are equally important to produce good pic quality.

While LG,Panasonic use IPS panel Sony,Samsung use SPVA panel. SPVA produce far better black level and higher contrast ratio than IPS while IPS panel has advantage only in viewing angle.
In CNET, majority of sony/samsung models are rated higher than lg/panasonic models.

IPS has better viewing angles, (generally) better color accuracy and little color shift. PVA has better blacks, but shows color shifts at off-angles (not as bad as TN, though). IPS panels are more expensive.

The advantage touted for PVA (better blacks/contrast) is kind of moot when you consider it is only better in one central area of the screen and the color shift will reduce in other areas of the screen. Handy for a producing high numbers with a sensor that only looks at a tiny spot perfectly perpendicular. Not so hot for people who see the whole screen.

The biggest downside to IPS is the price, they are the most expensive panels.

So manufacturers selling PVA panels at the same cost of IPS panels are rip-off

Guys, common let's not argue. We are all dumb and don't know a thing about Picture Quality.

We should follow what Sir Longshanks says (the most knowledgeable TV reviewer in the world)

Sony TV's are the worst in PQ. All the major tech sites are idiots that is why they rate Sony TVs higher than others among LCD TVs.

So everyone, please buy Samsung or LG IPS Tvs only and enjoy the ultra realistic colors and deep blacks :)

And IPS panel TVs are indeed the best, that is why there is no single IPS panel equipped TVs in the list of best LCD TVs ever made

All hail the master, mister know it all - Sir longshanks

Whenever there is a post that says Sony is better, Sir longshanks will come and prove the poster wrong. (Though don't worry you can say Samsung/LG is better and longshanks will love it)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back