Sony Bravia KDL EX650 Vs Samsung UA40ES56

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to get personal longshanks, this is not a fight club. So a more civilized behavior would be appreciated.

And you don't like Sony then just don't post in Sony threads. That's it. Nobody here is dumb and blind. If someone suggest Sony or XYZ brand doesn't mean they will go and buy that model eyes closed. They can all see the difference between X,Y,Z Tv with their own eyes.

Oh and you are asking for proof ? Says the guy who claims ES8000 is better than HX850. I don't think stating facts is "fanaticism". This year's Sony sets are getting better reviews than any other brand (among LCD) and that is all that was posted here. Nobody has to blindly believe anyone, they can go read reviews. So I am sure in your eyes all the review sites in the world are also "sony fanboys" for not giving great reviews to Samsung/LG sets. Ain't it ?

So it's you all alone against CNET,HomeTheaterMag,HDTVTest,TelevisionInfo,TechRadar,TrustedReviews,T3,Sound and Vision Magazine,DigitalVersus, What HIFI mag, me, adder, lake1988,just4kix and others. Who sounds more credible ? A guy who is ignoring all major review sites opinions or we who are just telling people what all the major review sites are saying ?

I am asking you nicely one last time - stop with your anti sony trolling here.

And mods/admin please do something about this. In the past 1 week this is the second time that a thread has completely derailed because of one guy getting too personal.

Anyone who has been active here would know that in the past 2 months we have had a lot of threads where Plasma and LCD were compared but not one did things turn ugly. Everyone was respecting each other's opinion and not "fighting". But after longshanks joining in, that completely changed ( Just like it has been since the past few years everytime he gets into a thread that has anything to do with Sony)

Admin/mods, I am sorry for this post but there is a limit to everything. It's just not possible for everyone to tolerate this again and again and again. I have seen the same thing happen in numerous threads all because of this one person. Last year's HX925 thread was also a similar story, if anybody is interested they can check that thread and see how that thread turned ugly because of one individual's "opinions".

Last edited:
What according to you is sharper and crisper? i am just curious to know. :)

When you say colors deeper in the sense? you saw shadows better on that yellow? you that the yellow had different shades properly which were easier to differentiate? or was the yellow more prominent which made you feel it looks punchier?

I am asking this because people tend to believe more popping bright color or dark color as life like and which can never be true, also most of Samsung's television this year has been praised for their color accuracy in many measurements.

Even if you did see real yellow in a Sony LCD's, that depends on so many factors like one most important thing called reflection, Sony panels tend to reflect less in showroom conditions compared to Samsung, did you try changing setting and play around with the TV or just compare with the standard setting which was set in the showroom? because comparing a television by standard setting makes zero sense.

I am going to repeat again, i have been using my recent purchases of Sony LCD's since past one year and i calibrated them using settings from AVS forums and made adjustments according to the room lighting conditions and most viewed material, no matter what i did i was never able to see proper reds or even whites in my 55" EX720, the pic always appears over sharp (artificial sharpness) which made the pic hurt the eyes and was not pleasing as my Samsung or Panasonic plasma for longer periods of viewing.Added to all this they reduce judder using soap opera effect which spoiled the train action scenes in the move called Unstoppable which lost totally lost the cinematic feel.

I think i will play the same movie in my Samsung plasma and the Sony LCD and take some pics and post here, also if possible i will shoot all these TV while playing same content in chroma after playing around with the settings and post here.
For the record, if I am really serious about a purchase, I would generally start comparing the "Standard" or "Normal" settings on TV. I take the TV remotes in my hand, switch to those settings and do a factory reset. It is rather not possible to calibrate the settings in a showroom but having set the median to be the same I would assume that this is the best setting for checking. For the current exercise, I was checking equivalently priced LED TVs and since I believe that Sony is more expensive than the competition, it would generally tag Sony vs. the better/expensive models of others.

When I was looking at the picture, I was comparing what the body colour of the excavator machine should like in my mind. The Sony set showed crisper image and deep yellows as compared to washed out colours on LG and Samsung. The Philips showed good colours too near par to Sony. Buy the images in background (distant buildings, trees, etc.) were showing sharper than in Philips (a little smudged).

So I believe that I have firm basis of comparison with all playing fields neutralized to a great extent.

You can assume what you want to assume..why didn't you tell people in your family not to buy Sony and tell everything regarding Sony's pic quality being not good as you posted in multiple thread.
Sure i did, but i did not push it into tier throats, they felt LCD's look better in showroom and they bought three of them (because Sony was cheaper in gray),but after they got it setup i played a blu-ray of Leon the professional in all the TV's and they all were amazed how good the plasma was.I am sure next time they will never ever buy an LCD specially Sony because my brother thinks its a big mistake he bought the 55" EX72.

I think there is no point arguing with people who are never gonna listen to anybody else.
So don't argue bro lake1988

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk

Sure i post in multiple threads, i choose everything there is blind brand support for a brand dissing others brand as inferior with zero proof to back up, just like every one of your posts about Sony in this forum. I don't post in thread where there is casual discussion.

Says the guy who does not even bother to read the thread title but assumes that every thread here is related to HX850.

longshanks, you are claiming that you are giving unbiased opinions while all others are biased. What facts have you established? Your own comparisons? If you are a certified tester then please publish your facts with figures. If you are not pleased with Sony then of course you have a right to your opinion. People will respect that as long as you respect that there will be people who like Sony as well. And this is not a plasma vs. LCD/LED thread. You have the habit of making each TV thread into one. This is not what is expected of an "unbiased" member. Plasma has its pros and cons and so have LEDs. If an uninitiated member comes across and asks "What TV should I buy?", experienced folks should give unbiased opinion of what the user should buy based on her/his situation and needs and not what we think is best for us applies to others as well. For example, I may be a plasma supporter, but I do not think that plasma is good for all. Here we fight on "Sony is best", "Panasonic is best" and "Sharp Elite is best" and the companies are laughing their way to the bank.

@avmaxfan,

Come on man, every one just posted their personal opinions about any brand - just as you did about a particular brand. Healthy difference of opinions is to be celebrated, isn't it?

Plus, it helps to have a bit of a thick skin on internet forums. Big boys play here.

For the record, if I am really serious about a purchase, I would generally start comparing the "Standard" or "Normal" settings on TV. I take the TV remotes in my hand, switch to those settings and do a factory reset. It is rather not possible to calibrate the settings in a showroom but having set the median to be the same I would assume that this is the best setting for checking. For the current exercise, I was checking equivalently priced LED TVs and since I believe that Sony is more expensive than the competition, it would generally tag Sony vs. the better/expensive models of others.

When I was looking at the picture, I was comparing what the body colour of the excavator machine should like in my mind. The Sony set showed crisper image and deep yellows as compared to washed out colours on LG and Samsung. The Philips showed good colours too near par to Sony. Buy the images in background (distant buildings, trees, etc.) were showing sharper than in Philips (a little smudged).

So I believe that I have firm basis of comparison with all playing fields neutralized to a great extent.

longshanks, you are claiming that you are giving unbiased opinions while all others are biased. What facts have you established? Your own comparisons? If you are a certified tester then please publish your facts with figures. If you are not pleased with Sony then of course you have a right to your opinion. People will respect that as long as you respect that there will be people who like Sony as well. And this is not a plasma vs. LCD/LED thread. You have the habit of making each TV thread into one. This is not what is expected of an "unbiased" member. Plasma has its pros and cons and so have LEDs. If an uninitiated member comes across and asks "What TV should I buy?", experienced folks should give unbiased opinion of what the user should buy based on her/his situation and needs and not what we think is best for us applies to others as well. For example, I may be a plasma supporter, but I do not think that plasma is good for all. Here we fight on "Sony is best", "Panasonic is best" and "Sharp Elite is best" and the companies are laughing their way to the bank.

On a lighter note: :lol: Even this thread might be removed in coming days. I have learnt one lesson. Never post anything on Sony :rolleyes:

On a lighter note: :lol: Even this thread might be removed in coming days. I have learnt one lesson. Never post anything on Sony :rolleyes:

Well many threads have been closed alright ,all those threads(every single one) have one thing in common and just one person responsible and everyone one knows who that brand and tech racist his. :D

Last edited:
Well many threads have been closed alright ,all those threads(every single one) have one thing in common and just one person responsible and everyone one knows who that brand and tech racist his. :D
Let us not call others "racists" - "biased" is a good enough term. :)

No need to get personal longshanks, this is not a fight club. So a more civilized behavior would be appreciated.

Oh and you are asking for proof ? Says the guy who claims ES8000 is better than HX850.

Any unbiased member who can read both of our past posts will know who is gets personal.

You take anything written against Sony too personal like it is a complaint against yourself, what can i do? i don't care if you have insecurities.

It is you who always jump up and down and start acting different where some one posts against Sony, you also make it point to recommend Sony in any thread which asks for advice but very rarely you give anything remotely close to a valid reason why you recommend a particular TV.

You also make it point to comment that all other LCD's no matter LG or Samsung or Panasonic are always inferior in most of your posts even if the OP does not ask for the same.

You even went ahead spoke nonsense about a top end LG LCD to a person who owns the same and making him look bad and regret his decision.

I posted HX850 vs ES8000 reviews from couple of sites and those sites said ES8000 was a much better TV,Read flatpanel HD.

Asking to stop trolling is not helping as you have been doing the same in a more elaborate manner all these days in most TV discussion threads.So you would be last person in the forum who is entitled to advice any one to stop trolling :lol:

I wont stop posting i would rather continue to post anything i can find which can give both sides of the story, so members can read and understand rather than just your biased one liner recommendations.

If any one can read you past posts they will understand that almost all of your posts in this forum has been for Sony worship.

Stop telling me what i should do..lol also from now read the thread titles properly before posting, also understand which model of television or which brand is being discussed in a thread before you posting with all guns blazing about HX850 :lol:

Admin/mods, I am sorry for this post but there is a limit to everything. It's just not possible for everyone to tolerate this again and again and again. I have seen the same thing happen in numerous threads all because of this one person. Last year's HX925 thread was also a similar story, if anybody is interested they can check that thread and see how that thread turned ugly because of one individual's "opinions".[/B]

Sure, i did report your personal attack post and i guess that is why the HX950 thread got closed.

Deep yellows? while an IPS based LCD from LG showed washed out colors? interesting observation. Are you aware that IPS panels are the most color accurate in LCD's? for other panel technologies to come close to IPS color accuracy they need a lot of processing.There is a reason why every pro monitor is IPS based and LG makes some of the best IPS panels.

From your observations it could be both ways, either Sony shows accurate color or it is over saturated while LG and Samsung were showing more accurate colors.

I remember posting here with actual screen shots from website who did a personal comparison between a top end Sony and Samsung and explained in detail how the colors were over saturated in Sony, it was an Asian site, i will try and get that link.

longshanks, you are claiming that you are giving unbiased opinions while all others are biased. What facts have you established? Your own comparisons?

For starters we have a lot of flat panel TV's at my home(9 to be exact), all are 46" and above so i happen to look at different brands and different technology of flat panels everyday.

I posted links and in depth reviews to back up my claims and some times personal user reviews from forums like AVS, I have also added my personal experience, so you are still unaware what facts i established then i am afraid i cant do much about the same.

@avmaxfan,

Come on man, every one just posted their personal opinions about any brand - just as you did about a particular brand. Healthy difference of opinions is to be celebrated, isn't it?

Plus, it helps to have a bit of a thick skin on internet forums. Big boys play here.

You think he understands that everyone can have their opinion and every has the right to voice by giving proper information? i guess not. Any thing posted against Sony is a personal attack because may be he works for Sony(i don't know).:)

You post one sentence stating sony is the best and he will call you bro:D

I am trying to be civil in my replies here, but words like racist is encouraging me to think about using profanity on you so take it easy.

Again 95% of your posts are related to Sony, you touch Sony any where and every where no matter what the member asks.You calling me a racist eh Sony lover?

Last edited:
@rangan

Not true. This is not official Sony forum run by Sony that you can't say anything against Sony or any other brand for that matter. You can and have all right to do so.

Just that continued bashing not based on actual facts over and over again is not appreciated.

But if it's genuine facts that someone is putting across, then there is absolutely no problem.

Like for eg. Sony TVs do not support mkv, flv, and a few other common formats, now THAT is bad and a fact as well. Another one could be the price premium, again something which is a fact (for low-mid range models, HX850 is priced lower than competition).

So please, don't say that :p You can share your personal opinion about any brand/set (negative or positive) as long as it's based on facts and not heavily biased personal opinion together with utter disrespect for other members who disagree.

Again 95% of your posts are related to Sony, you touch Sony any where and every where no matter what the member asks.You calling me a racist eh Sony lover?

And 90% of your posts are also Sony and but the difference is yours is only anti sony bashing posts.
You called Sony "Fony" didn't you,you have succeeded in derailing every sony thread started by whom ever with your anti sony posts not only in this forum.
All you say i saw this and that or i compared this and that and sony was the worst,call the PQ of all sony flagship tvs has mediocre or worse ,the fact is everyone else the majority of pro review sites and people think otherwise .

Does selective quoting of reviews or nit pick the negatives ,call a website like HDTVTEST.co.uk crap.
Claimed to never heard of websites like anandtech .Hell at one point you even laughed at televisioninfo.com that now you defend .

@rangan

Not true. This is not official Sony forum run by Sony that you can't say anything against Sony or any other brand for that matter. You can and have all right to do so.

Just that continued bashing not based on actual facts over and over again is not appreciated.

But if it's genuine facts that someone is putting across, then there is absolutely no problem.

Like for eg. Sony TVs do not support mkv, flv, and a few other common formats, now THAT is bad and a fact as well. Another one could be the price premium, again something which is a fact (for low-mid range models, HX850 is priced lower than competition).

So please, don't say that :p You can share your personal opinion about any brand/set (negative or positive) as long as it's based on facts and not heavily biased personal opinion together with utter disrespect for other members who disagree.

Hi avmaxfan,
I fully understand your point and respect it. I actually said it only on a lighter note.
I hope you won't mind me sharing my opinion on this issue. My only concern is that people like me who are new to this HDTV subject might get confused on reading the posts and that too when it turns ugly. That is the only concern. If you see or genuinely feel there are provocations, you can simply ignore it. In most of your replies, you repeatedly say that there was no point in responding to your friend's provocations (I hope you won't mind saying that :p), but end up very often responding to those provocations. Again, this is purely my personal opinion and I may be wrong. If I am so, my apologies.

hi longshanks - if you feel there is a perception that avmaxfan is a brand ambassador for Sony, there is also a perception (I am only using the word "perception" and not alleging you) that your intention is only to bash Sony. I completely agree to your point when you say that one needs to know negatives as well of a particular model, but I some how feel that you are not putting things in the right perspective even if your points are genuine. Again, no hard feelings

Again - I am just an amature in this area and I only look forward to learn few things from you guys (both avmaxfan and longshanks). I really do enjoy your positive posts (barring the bad blood) and please continue to share more information for the benefit of guys like me. :clapping:

^

Well you're right :) I am sorry for my posts, I apologize (only to you and other forum members, not longshanks)

Deep yellows? while an IPS based LCD from LG showed washed out colors? interesting observation. Are you aware that IPS panels are the most color accurate in LCD's? for other panel technologies to come close to IPS color accuracy they need a lot of processing.There is a reason why every pro monitor is IPS based and LG makes some of the best IPS panels.

All I am saying is what I saw, I am reporting. I don't care whether there was an IPS panel or an SPVA panel or no panel. I am reporting my own results. I saw lot more washout on Samsung on LG. As I mentioned, it was Sony 40EX650, Samsung 5 Series and LG LV series (all non-3D). I am not going to argue any more. I am not insisting that everybody must agree with me. :) Peace and amen.

And 90% of your posts are also Sony and but the difference is yours is only anti sony bashing posts.

Sure, i pasted a link which shows all of your past post and mine, let people look and find who posts posts what.

90% of my posts in this thread are anti sony posts?:lol:

http://www.hifivision.com/search.php?searchid=1983722

http://www.hifivision.com/search.php?searchid=1983725&pp=25&page=2

There are 20 pages each and will give a fair idea of how diverse each of our posting are.:)

Again - I am just an amature in this area and I only look forward to learn few things from you guys

At the end of the day like i said all this member opinion should only influence you 5% on your buying decision and another 5-10% can be from a good review data depending upon how in depth the site reviews the products, the remaining 85-90% should be based on your personal preference(this could include many factors).:)

But words of people like avmaxfan should not influence you even by 1%, I mean no offense to anyone but just read all his past posts from this link below and try and understand how many times he posted any numbers or measurements or any in depth details to back his recomendation.

http://www.hifivision.com/search.php?searchid=1983743

Hi longshanks,
Fine. I kindly request you to stop pointing if there are any flaws (if you feel that way) in avmaxfan's posts. I see you having good discussion with just4kix, but can you please continue on that ?

LOL. As if me posting black level measurements will change his mind. When all the review sites have the required data along with ratings, there is no need to post black level and contrast figures here every time.

I don't understand which world he is living in btw, all major review sites have reviewed Sony 2012 line up and almost all the reviews are very positive. Only he is saying Sony tvs are poor and have the worst PQ.

Who will people believe ? All the major tech sites in the world or one Sony hater ?

He keeps mentioning the FlatpanelsHD review, but what about ALL the rest ? Just 1 site gives a bad review and he keep posting that again and again while ignoring the hundred other glorious reviews.

It's clear whose posts have flaws ;) Mine or his

CNET opinion on the Samsung ES8000 which he says is better than Any Sony

- Lighter black levels and imperfect screen uniformity hamper its picture significantly, especially for such an expensive TV. Samsung charges too much for extra features that are largely unnecessary and poorly implemented.

The bottom line: Although it hits plenty of high points, the Samsung UNES8000 LED TV cannot ultimately justify its high price.

CNET is the same site that he used to prove that HX925 isn't a great set, but after reading this post he will surely say CNET is biased and FlatpanelsHD is more reliable.

Now let's move on to another site which he is defending a lot lately - televisioninfo. So longshanks says EX720 cannot show any colors accurately and has pathetic motion performance. Let's see now what televisioninfo (longshank's fav website) has to say about EX720 compared to Panasonic ST30 plasma.

Blacks & Whites

The Panasonic TC-P50ST30 was very close to the outstanding contrast ratio of the Sony KDL-55EX720, but each excelled in a different way. The Panasonic, as a plasma, had a far deeper black. The Sony's black level was good, but its peak brightness was much better.

Color Accuracy

The Sony KDL-55EX720 came out the winner in the contest for best color, offering a steadier color temperature and better, smoother RGB color curves.

Motion

The Panasonic TC-P50ST30 has some big problems with motion artifacting, which cost it a lot of points. The Sony KDL-55EX720 was far better in this regard.

Quickly let's check what they have to say about EX520 - another TV which longshanks said has poor PQ across the board

Color Temperature (9.53)

The Sony Bravia KDL-32EX523 performed extremely well in maintaining a consistent color temperature. As you can see in the chart below, theres a little variance here and there throughout the signal range, but most of the fluctuations are too small for your feeble human eyes to notice.

RGB Curves (8.22)

The Sony Bravia KDL-32EX523 produced excellent, smooth color curves. The read, green, and blue channels all moved in a uniform manner, though the blues were a bit dimmer than the rest. There are almost no major bumps in the lines, which would indicate color banding. Well done, Sony

Color Gamut (5.92)
The Sony Bravia KDL-32EX523 did an excellent job when we tried to match it up to the rec. 709 color standards. The reds are a little oversaturated and the blues are slightly undersaturated. The whites the circles in the middle are a bit cool. Overall, though, it was a very strong showing in this test.

P.S. I hope other members don't get annoyed. I am not arguing with him, just trying to show how he uses review sites to his advantage depending on which site gives worst review to Sony sets.

Last edited:
He keeps mentioning the FlatpanelsHD review, but what about ALL the rest ? Just 1 site gives a bad review and he keep posting that again and again while ignoring the hundred other glorious reviews.
s

Lets see what http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk has to say. :)
We measured the LCD panels natural black level during the ANSI checkerboard test (which is a good indicator of real-world content) at 0.07 cd/m2, which is a little disappointing. Keep in mind that comparably priced Plasma displays, such as the Panasonic TX-P50ST50, are managing 0.009 cd/m2, which is nearly ten times darker (although that doesnt mean that it automatically looks ten times better). This measurement was taken with peak white set to the standard 120 cd/m2, using the Clear Plus Motionflow mode.

When fed an entirely black screen, the Sony KDL-55HX853 would partake in the usual LCD trick of turning the LEDs off entirely, returning pure, unadulterated black. Of course, thats useless for actually watching TV.

All things considered, the KDL-55HX853 did a fine job with HD content from Blu-ray. As we mentioned previously, there are some Greyscale and Colour inaccuracies that, while not too visible in themselves, do show up when the HX853 is compared with a display that does better in these areas.

we compared the image to that of the Panasonic TX-P50ST50 plasma television, which features highly accurate saturation tracking, and is also at around the same price level of this Sony. During the scenes in the Japanese garden near the start of the film, the Panasonic coloured nearly all of the leaves and grass in a similar hue. On the Sony, the brighter leaves started to become more neon-like, and sometimes, slightly more yellow-green, which drew attention to them in a way which was almost certainly not intended by the filmmakers.

Fortunately, the colour reproduction is still very good overall, but again, Sony, please add a colour management system (CMS) so we can hopefully correct small errors like these in the future.

Come on, Sony: calibration controls are a way to improve the quality of your HDTVs, which can apparently be done with just software changes (seeing as your TVs already have the ability to alter the colours, just not in any sort of scientific way). We know that videophiles are just one part of a very large market, but enthusiasm starts here start focusing on picture accuracy rather than gimmicks, and youll begin to recapture the hearts and minds of LCD-inclined buyers who held your brand in the highest esteem in the CRT days.
The KDL-55HX853 is a realistically priced Sony LCD HDTV, and we dont feel that it has any gigantic weaknesses. It produces a very high quality 2D and 3D experience, and we especially appreciate its freedom from irritating undefeatable video enhancements.

Source : Sony KDL-55HX853 Performance

Samsungs scaling is still the best in the industry. While it cant make SD images look as detailed as real HD ones (if only!), Samsungs edge-adaptive scaling algorithm does at least make them look wonderfully smooth and free of aliasing (unless the content itself is full of it). The UE55ES8000 also does a wonderful job of avoiding jaggedness during the conversion of interlaced SD content to the progressive HD panel.

Overall, the motion performance is exactly what we expected from a premium LED LCD TV its good, but its not quite up there at Plasma levels.

For an edge LED TV, the Samsung UE55ES8000 exhibited good performance, which was a relief, since LCDs of this thinness typically dont do very well in this area. A dark screen in a dark environment revealed a little bit of clouding: slightly lighter patches near the top left and bottom right. However, unlike previous similar displays weve tested, this was minimal after wed dimmed the [Backlight] control to make it suitable for our moderately lit environment. And, unlike those previous edge-lit LED-based televisions, we didnt see any non-uniformity during actual viewing.
and there is always this.

At the beginning of this review, we said that Samsung are largely responsible for bringing LCD TV picture quality up to the standard required for high quality video usage, thanks to their development and frequent usage of SPVA LCD panels. The most common competing type, IPS (used in LG, Philips and Panasonic LCDs) has superior off-axis viewing angle quality and less low-tone motion smearing, but considerably poorer black levels. Contrast performance is incredibly important for satisfying video images, which is why we tend to recommend SPVA LCD displays like the ES8000 over other LCD types assuming all else is equal.

When we were performing measurements, we saw some unusual behaviour with the luminance output of the Samsung UE55ES8000. Its output would occasionally vary when fed with sequential patterns. For example, during the beginning of the measurements, we measured a mostly black screen (with a few white pixels at one of the corners, to avoid the TV turning its lighting out and giving a false impression of real-world performance) at 0.05 cd/m2, and a fully white screen as being the 120 cd/m2 wed lined it up to during calibration. Then, measuring the same encoded brightness values from the separate ANSI-style test chart, we saw the same 0.05 cd/m2 measurement for black, but a brighter 140 cd/m2 white, indicating that some sort of contrast manipulation is going on in the HDTV.
Later, when we returned to measure black again (without changing the [Backlight] setting!), the panel was producing a darker 0.03 cd/m2, with white now coming in at just 76 cd/m2 on the full white screen, and just 90 cd/m2 on the ANSI chart. We then went into the menu and set [Backlight] to 8? again, which caused the TV to suddenly jump up to a higher level of light output, and the original numbers began appearing. All of this points to the Samsung UE55ES8000 performing some manipulation of contrast at both the video processing level, and also at the physical light sources (LEDs). Its incredibly subtle, and we wouldnt have noticed it if we hadnt actually measured the light output from the display. Were intrigued as to whats going on, but the bottom line is that the contrast performance is excellent, and we noticed nothing in the way of distracting darkening or lightening during viewing.
There is also a mysterious new option called [Black enhancer], the description of which reads: Enhance picture depth by adjusting black colour depth. This option appears to be a repackaging of the [Shadow Detail] control found on previous Samsung LCD televisions. Enabling [Black enhancer] simply dims the LED lights further during dark scenes. With this control enabled, a nearly (but not entirely) black screen measured at 0.016 cd/m2. Of course, this sort of light source manipulation isnt for free: the trade-offs for perceptibly better blacks are that shadow details will become harder to see, and colour saturation will be lessened during these moments where the ES8000 is dimming the lights.

Stop Press: after participating in the 2012 Value Electronics flat panel shootout, we had the chance to calibrate and investigate the US model of this HDTV, which has a correctly implemented Off feature for the Noise Reduction setting. Our understanding is that this is the intended behaviour for the European models too, which gives us hope for a firmware update to address the issue.

While there may be other less expensive HDTVs (mostly plasmas) that arguably deliver better value-for-money when it comes to 2D picture performance in a darker viewing environment, the Samsung UE55ES8000 remains one of the best LED LCD TVs weve seen lately. It is definitely recommended for those who watch TV mainly in a bright room, and 3D enthusiasts who crave for extra-dimensional images that are as good as those in 2D.

Soruce : Samsung UE55ES8000 Performance

And there always this.
Samsung ES8000 (LED) review - FlatpanelsHD

Sony HX850 (HX853) review - FlatpanelsHD

I never wanted to derail this thread but had to bring another review apart from the review from flatpanel HD because a member asked for the same.:indifferent14: But i see he already started to post stuff about EX720 and HX920 comparing with ST30 which are all 2011 and makes no sense now :lol:

BTW everyone in AVS knows cnet is the last place they would find reliable reviews :lol:, its like a known fact. lol and i own the 55" EX720 so i know what amazing accurate wonderful near perfect pic it produces.:p i also own two 46" EX520 and its pic quality is simply at reference levels :p in fact it beats EX720 left, right and center in terms of image performance.:D

Last edited:
Same again, choosing parts of the review that are advantageous to him. So you pick HDTVtestUK ? Fine

Read what HDTVTest UK writes in their verdict about HX850.

It appears that Sony is on the road to recovery. The KDL-55HX853 still has some rough edges that wed like to see ironed out on future Sony LCD televisions, but that doesnt stop it being the overall best LCD-based HDTV weve seen lately much of the LED LCD competition has more severe kinks. Not only that, but it appears that the Japanese firm has finally woken up and realised how good its competition has gotten in the post-Trinitron days, and the KDL55HX853, for once, is not grossly overpriced.

Sony has struck gold with the Bravia HX853 series between the 40? and 55? models theyve brought us the best LCD-based HDTVs weve seen this year in terms of picture and sound quality. Despite some mild colour inaccuracies (which most viewers wont notice), the KDL40HX853 is a fantastic 2D performer in both SD and HD, with its upscaling prowess and stunning high-def detail being particular highlights.

HDTVTest UK Twitter

Delivering high-quality 2D & 3D experience, the @SonyUK HX853 is the best LED LCD TV we've tested in 2012

https://twitter.com/HDTVTest/status/214710346525585409

So mr.longshanks is trying to prove that HDTVTest feels ES8000 is better than HX850 even though they have clearly mentioned it themselves that HX850 is and remains the best LED LCD they have tested in 2012. :lol:

For him only 1 trustworthy review site exists - FlatpanelsHD. All other CNET, WhatHIFI, T3, DigitalVersus, Avforums, HomeTheaterMagazine, Sound and Vision Magazine, Techradar, TrustedReviews, Gizmodo, Wired, TelevisionInfo, pocket-lint, ExpertReviews, Reghardware are bogus or biased websites that are on Sony's payroll :D

P.S. I guess now it's clear who is the one that wants to mislead people here

Last edited:
And in the same avsforum check out how reliable is the televisioninfo.com that you worship.

@avmaxfan he has even quoted from HDTVTEST.co.uk for his advantages.Yet called it crap the same applies to televisioninfo .

Last edited:
And in the same avsforum check out how reliable is the televisioninfo.com that you worship.

Unlike you i don't worship any sites or a particular brand,I post television info and flatpanel HD because i found they give all measurements and television info infant goes further explaining how they actually measure television picture parameters which most sites don't.

I don't care what AVS speaks about television info now, its a relatively new site and for it to become familiar in AVS it will take time unlike Cnet which is very old and always dissed in AVS.

You remember how you used to post reviews from a greek review site (which i don't even remember if it exists now) when you wanted to disgrace a particular TV or worship another one:lol:

Delivering high-quality 2D & 3D experience, the @SonyUK HX853 is the best LED LCD TV we've tested in 2012

https://twitter.com/HDTVTest/status/214710346525585409

Sure, now let us all buy television based upon tweets and not actual reviews :lol:, did you buy your television based on a tweet? oh i never knew twitter is the best place for reading television ratings,verdicts and reviews :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back