Sony ht-iv300 vs Yamaha yht-196 vs yamaha yht-1810

Hello [email protected]

Could you share your TV / STB model ?? Do your STB have optical audio out??...My STB (Videocon 2222) has only HDMI & coaxial out only...

Also do you use Sony IV300 for everyday programs -like news/ sports etc. If yes, please mention about the sound clarity.

I'm currently exploring Sony IV300 & Yamaha YHT196/199 for my first home theater purchase...

Last edited:
Hello [email protected]

Could you share your TV / STB model ?? Do your STB have optical audio out??...My STB (Videocon 2222) has only HDMI & coaxial out only...

Also do you use Sony IV300 for everyday programs -like news/ sports etc. If yes, please mention about the sound clarity.

I'm currently exploring Sony IV300 & Yamaha YHT196/199 for my first home theater purchase...

Hi. Yes I use this HT always. Even for Bluetooth music, FM. If you are not too keen on the manual settings then this model is ok to buy. I mean this HT according to me it's like a digital point and shoot camera with some preset audio options. Where as the one you mentioned is like an SLR camera which can be used to tune up with manual settings. I may not be 100% correct here. But it's my view.

I like the below features
1. Usb plays very well.
2. It even brings extra clarity to the usb video files
3. It has wifi built in
4. We can adjust the distance of speakers, sound level of speakers
5. Compact.

Though am ok with below features, I feel some of us won't like it

1. The audio is so loud, some times irritate my family

The question of optic cable, am not going to try as hdmi is the better method. But please cross check if this HT will work for video con. I read it somewhere that it's not support ed.

I use this with Airtel hd dth and sony w700b 42

Hello [email protected],

Thank you for your reply. Yes, even during the demo of Sony IV300 I observed the loudness in the sound.

Like you said support for Videocon d2h STB is not mentioned in Sony's official website but at Sony/ Reliance electronics showroom the concerned persons are saying it supports videocon STB - this is now really confusing me !. I need to clear this point before making the purchase decision.

I am in a similar dilemma and have finalized two HTs:
1. Sony BDV-E4100 (Costs Rs.30K)
2. Yamaha YHT-199 (Costs Rs 27K)
I have two concerns though:
1. Isn't YHT199 two years old? Is it logical to buy it
2. Also YHT199 is 600W RMS as compared to Sony which is 1000W RMS. If this going to make much of a difference? The dealer told me that YHT199 is pretty much 1200W RMS compared to Sony which I find hard to believe!

Any suggestions as to which one should I buy considering my budget has an upper cap of 31K.

PS: Newbie in this arena
PSS: YHT299 is costly :(

2. Also YHT199 is 600W RMS as compared to Sony which is 1000W RMS. If this going to make much of a difference? The dealer told me that YHT199 is pretty much 1200W RMS compared to Sony which I find hard to believe!

Hi ValarMorghulis,
what the dealer told you is correct. YHT-199 Is way better then BDV-4100 in comparision to Sound Quality.
Dont go on the Rms value of the sony product. YHT-199 is better then sony any day. i have auditioned it.
U please do the same and then decide. You have better connectivity options in YHT-199 as well. Its a plus !!
Cheers and happy buying !! :D

P.S-Also if u can increase ur budget by 4k , u can opt for YHT-299 which is great !!

Last edited:
Hi! I am new to this forum and also not at all tech savvy...so i am looking for few basic advice..I have a HD Dish TV STB with HDMI port and a old Sony Wega TV (2005 model) without HDMI port..
2.I am looking for a HT to
(i) View Dish TV DTH with 5.1 sound
(ii) Watch TV serials & movies in 5.1 sound and
(iii) Listen to songs & watch video thro USB pen drive/HDD

3.Which HT is most suitable for me - Sony IV 300 or YHT 299?
4.If i buy Sony IV 300, can i enjoy the HT, since there is no HDMI port in the TV but it is there in the STB?
5.If i buy YHT 196, is the a USB port?
Please advice

Regards
Dipak

Hi all.

I'm looking to buy a new home theatre system. My main requirement is to connect it to my Full HD TV, STB and Chromecast. For music, I have a pretty decent studio setup. The TV is in my untreated living room and the room doesn't warrant a high end hometheater setup. I am planning to set up a separate room for home theater is a couple of years down the line. So, my budget for now is 30k. I really wanted a HT with a tweeter in all 5 channels but I couldn't find one. Of all the options available, I have narrowed down to two HTiBs.

Sony HT-IV 300
Yamaha Yht-1840.

I visited a few shops nearby and they don't the above HTs for audition.

I, however, have a few doubts to clarify.

1) Does Yamaha YHT 1840 has DTS HD master audio decoder built in?
2) Sony has both Dolby TrueHd and DTS HD master audio decoders but system has about 30% THD. So, the question is Will the sound in SONY's Iv 300 in True HD mode be better than Yamaha's Dolby digital mode? Asking this because, I can play movies through pen drive in both.
3) My priority is the vocal clarity and does paying about10K more for Yamaha makes sense? Both doesn't have tweeter.

Apart from these, is there any other factors that favours either Sony or Yamaha? Bluetooth is not a big deal for me as I can always add a dongle to the Yamaha to get that functionality. Also, I'm not looking for any upgrade for at least two years and when I upgrade, I wish to upgrade to an atmos HT.

Kindly help.

Thanks in advance.

Reliance digital is having both of these on demo you should go and audition for the sound or your liking.
Around a week ago i took demo of yamaha 2910 and sony e3200 (or 4100 not sure) and yamaha is much better in terms of clarity

One more important thing, having an avr based setup you can always upgrade to better speakers like polk or BA.

Reliance digital is having both of these on demo you should go and audition for the sound or your liking.
Around a week ago i took demo of yamaha 2910 and sony e3200 (or 4100 not sure) and yamaha is much better in terms of clarity

One more important thing, having an avr based setup you can always upgrade to better speakers like polk or BA.

Thanks for your reply. There's no reliance Digital near my home not even in at least 100 kilometre radius.

I just discovered that YTS 1840 doesn't have USB port. My Sanyo tv has USB port and Hdmi Arc. Can I still get 5.1 output from the pen drive to the receiver?

No audition makes it really difficult to select "a sound device" but as you mentioned you want to upgrade down the line and make your own HT system I would recommend Yamaha over Sony.

As far as I know, any AVR with USB would only play audio files. and yes playing content in your TV can output sound to AVR (you can use optical cable as well if that doesn't work).

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back