SONY or PHILLIPS or ONKYO

varunsaketh

hi all
i am actually confused b/w sony dz640, phillips HTS5540 and Onkyo S3300 and my budget is around 20k may be extended to 25k. can u guys please me in this reagrd

Thanks

If your preference is music then a good stereo amp should be what you are looking for. If you want 5.1, then look for Onkyo 3400. It is available for as low as 22K.

I've got exactly the same dilemma; my usage will be for music and movies; & read that Onkyo is not impressive for music. I guess audition should solve the confusion.

But I'm wondering why Sony is a no no here?

Sony is no no here because it has nothing when compared with denon ,marantz and onkyo's.....

okie. but in some reviews i heard that 3400 is not so good for music

I dont understand why people says Onkyo S3400 is not good for music. I personally took a demo of it and i was highly impressed with its music output quality. The sound was solid with enough bass and good vocal tone neither I found its loudy (or noisy) for the ears. The music was rock solid to blow you out and of course it was as good as for the movies..

I would suggest you go and check 3400 with MP3 playback and ofcourse do audition it with a bluray/DVD player, do not use the front auxiliary input. If you still found its not sufficient enough then drop the idea of buying it.

I dont understand why people says Onkyo S3400 is not good for music. I personally took a demo of it and i was highly impressed with its music output quality. The sound was solid with enough bass and good vocal tone neither I found its loudy (or noisy) for the ears. The music was rock solid to blow you out and of course it was as good as for the movies..

I would suggest you go and check 3400 with MP3 playback and ofcourse do audition it with a bluray/DVD player, do not use the front auxiliary input. If you still found its not sufficient enough then drop the idea of buying it.

thx buddy finally decided to buy 3400 will check out for the best prices and also audition it :)

Auditioned S3400 DBY, though there was no Demo room. It sounded good; but the subwoofer was vibrating so much, it almost moved an inch;
Then I was taken to another comparable HTIB: Yamaha YHT294 & it was pretty impressive; it was stable and sounded much better than Onkyo for music.

Any feedback on YHT294 for Home theater experience?

Auditioned S3400 DBY, though there was no Demo room. It sounded good; but the subwoofer was vibrating so much, it almost moved an inch;
Then I was taken to another comparable HTIB: Yamaha YHT294 & it was pretty impressive; it was stable and sounded much better than Onkyo for music.

Strangely when I auditioned Yahama HTIB I found its devastating..I ask the guy to play a song from the film Anjana Anjani..The moment it started playing the hard bits the subwoofer sound cracked horribly..I immediately stopped it and dropped the idea of buying it..I personally felt Onkyo is much much better than Yamaha..

Another thing I want to add..You will always find the sound of a home theatre poor and muddy if u dont audition it without a audition room..sound can never be satisfying if you listen to it in a excessive large showroom with all the speakers bundled altogether..even I found Onkyo poor while plyaing in such condition which was 180 degree different from a AV room..

Cheers...

Strangely when I auditioned Yahama HTIB I found its devastating..I ask the guy to play a song from the film Anjana Anjani..The moment it started playing the hard bits the subwoofer sound cracked horribly..I immediately stopped it and dropped the idea of buying it..I personally felt Onkyo is much much better than Yamaha..

i too in favour of samy's comments. i have a hts3300 and when i was about to buy it, everyone told it s not good for music. but now i have that and placed speakers as per my convenience and preference and i could get the best out of it. my friend has a sony DAV dz640 and its horrible man.
i think sony brings out under quality product nowadays to give them cheap. for a htib i dont think these sony,samsung ,lg guys are not upto the mark as like onks,denon,etc...

Go for Sony or Onkyo but stay away from Philips - their present manufacturing standards is awful.

Hi
Any suggestions which (B) speakers are good (bookshelf/Tower) for Onkyo 3300/3400

Onkyo 3400/3300 comes with 5.1 speakers. Look for separate BS/FS only if you are not satisfied with them.

Another thing I want to add..You will always find the sound of a home theatre poor and muddy if u dont audition it without a audition room..sound can never be satisfying if you listen to it in a excessive large showroom with all the speakers bundled altogether..even I found Onkyo poor while plyaing in such condition which was 180 degree different from a AV room..

Cheers...

I agree with you Samy, speaker placement and ambiance plays an important role. Where I auditioned, the speakers were piled on each other and over the AVR :lol:
Which Yamaha HTIB did you auditioned? this YHT294 is the latest & was really good, clean sound, no noise & it's 3D ready. But of-course this was without a room so...
Any feedback on this model will be really helpfull. Otherwise Onkyo is a proven and widely favoured.

I had auditioned HTS3300 (same as 3400 except for AVR panel and added HDMI port) in Reliance Digital in an acoustically prepared room. Frankly, I was not impressed with the music performance. The satellites and sub were strained at just above moderate volumes, especially the sub was gasping. I had set the gain to 0db for all channels before testing. With Onkyo SR308, I switched to Polk RM6750 and wow what a difference. The powered sub was fantastic, I could feel the vibrations in my chest. Even at high volumes there was no distortion or fatiguing with the Polk. The satellites were almost twice as heavy as the onkyo speakers. For its price, its a good choice so I would suggest you to go with Onkyo 308/508 or Denon 1311/1611 with Polk package. Excellent VFM. Polk was priced at Rs. 19500 and SR308 was priced at Rs. 17500 (they were open for negotiation). ETC is ofcourse a better option but at a higher budget. Note that the AVR in HTS3300 (HT 380) does not have subwoofer preout, If I am not wrong; so think about future upgrades.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back