Sony STR-DH520 7.1 Receiver for Rs 13414 @ Ebay

Frankly, it was the price (after confirming with the seller) and "a little inclination" for Sony which drove me to it. I am yet to read reviews on the product and can only judge its performance after setting it up.

Meanwhile, my friends, I would much appreciate your help on helping me decide on some smallish speakers (5.1 between 20K and 30K) for this receiver.

Further details of Sony STR-DH520 are here

STRDH520 | 7.1 Channel 3D A/V Receiver | Sony Canada

TIA

I did the same today. Ordered the Pioneer 920 for 18k from Global ebay. Its a risk, but the price drop with free shipping on the Audio category made me jump in. We could share notes on where to get a good step down transformer.

I did the same today. Ordered the Pioneer 920 for 18k from Global ebay. Its a risk, but the price drop with free shipping on the Audio category made me jump in. We could share notes on where to get a good step down transformer.

Pioneer 920 is definitely a good choice at that price :thumbsup: for that.

As to the converter, the common consensus in some of the treads in this forum is the Maxine brand. baijuxavior :signthankspin:eek:nce again for the links.

Nonetheless, I would be doing some asking around in ABIDS Hyderabad and will update in the thread if I come across something more suitable. I should be looking for a converter that puts out 120 volts, 60 Hz (yet to understand what 60 Hz means :confused: and would appreciate any help)

Catch up later

Pioneer 920 is definitely a good choice at that price :thumbsup: for that.

As to the converter, the common consensus in some of the treads in this forum is the Maxine brand. baijuxavior :signthankspin:eek:nce again for the links.

Nonetheless, I would be doing some asking around in ABIDS Hyderabad and will update in the thread if I come across something more suitable. I should be looking for a converter that puts out 120 volts, 60 Hz (yet to understand what 60 Hz means :confused: and would appreciate any help)

Catch up later

AC voltage changes its phase constantly. The number of changes in one second is called frequency. In india 50hz is the frequency where as in the US it is 60hz. It is not possible to change frequency without additional electronic circuitry. In other words you will be getting 50hz output in such common converters.

not bad at this price. Only missing features I want are
- stereo pre-amp out
- ability to connect with my projector/ tv - I can manually switch or can buy an hdmi switch.

reading reviews on amazon - this is a serious limitation

The manual shows that you can assign analog composite or component video signals to an input channel. It does not say that there isn't a converter inside to put those signals onto the HDMI output (check page 52 of the manual). You will need to buy a $40 external converter to make HDMI to input to the receiver. This is a major failure that's undocumented. Getting my inputs into a single HDMI for my TV was the reason for my purchasing this receiver.

deepchand, have you seen the excerpt I posted from an amazon review. It means it would not output content from non hdmi sources to the hdmi output

The manual shows that you can assign analog composite or component video signals to an input channel. It does not say that there isn't a converter inside to put those signals onto the HDMI output (check page 52 of the manual). You will need to buy a $40 external converter to make HDMI to input to the receiver. This is a major failure that's undocumented. Getting my inputs into a single HDMI for my TV was the reason for my purchasing this receiver.

It also says HDMI inputs are assignable and I will be using my sources like TS HD and Sony S370 to be displayed on my LG plasma via the DH520. Meaning all HDMI in/out.

I am not sure what I am missing here or may be I will know further when I set it up.

Thank you for your input.

The str520 does not upconvert analog signals to hdmi. This won't be a problem if all your sources have hdmi output. The str 720 model upconverts to hdmi 1080i and has usb port to play common audio files. (price around 17k)

hey - any links to 17k pricing? I have a Wii and it does not have hdmi out.

The str520 does not upconvert analog signals to hdmi. This won't be a problem if all your sources have hdmi output. The str 720 model upconverts to hdmi 1080i and has usb port to play common audio files. (price around 17k)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back