Sound Dropping out or distorting - DTS/Dolby over SPDIF cable!

edjamesx

I am using my PC as Home theater PC. Have Asus Sonar Sound card with SPDIF - connected to my AMP (OPTICAL IN).
NVidea graphics card

I was using MPC-homecinema player for watching movies most of the time.
If the audio type is DTS/ Dolby in the movies -- there's a mild drop out in the audio every 30 secs ..sometimes sound mildly distorts.

If the type is stereo then there's no issue at all , it plays just fine.

I tried changing cable , updating Asus sonas driver ..everything still issue is there. Depends on movie content sometime sound drop is reduced or occuring after longer period ( after a minute or so)

I tried KODI Player (XBMC player) also ... the same issue is there as well. I am not sure whats the root cause of this issue and not sure know how to resolve it .

Anybody faced similar issue before ?. and any resolutions?

I am planning to get an media player if nothing works out.

Doesn't your graphics card have HDMI?.. HDMI to AVR would be easy.. are you using non HDMI AVR?..

No .. My AVR is old dont have HDMI connectivity.. i am using optical in from my AVR...
Bought Asus sonar sound card --when i purchased pc , which has spdif output.

Sound is good with DD/DTS ..but , need to sort out dropping out issue...

No .. My AVR is old dont have HDMI connectivity.. i am using optical in from my AVR...
Bought Asus sonar sound card --when i purchased pc , which has spdif output.

Sound is good with DD/DTS ..but , need to sort out dropping out issue...

Ok.. i did a DIY bracket to take SPDIF output from Motherboard directly to AVR, never faced any issue ( on my brothers PC).. No experience with Optical out from PC.. Even if you chnaged cable, you say the issue exists.. So that may be something to do with sound settings in PC..

When you say sound drops, does it gets on mute (or) the volume is reduced marginally?..

Does this issue happen regardless of movie file (or) Disc?.. Does your motherbaord has SPDIF header?..

Ok.. i did a DIY bracket to take SPDIF output from Motherboard directly to AVR, never faced any issue ( on my brothers PC).. No experience with Optical out from PC.. Even if you chnaged cable, you say the issue exists.. So that may be something to do with sound settings in PC..

Oh ok. Which media player you are using ?. May be some settings issue in my PC... but i tried tuning all settings ..but still issue is there.
I tried changing cable also ..still issue is there ..
I tried all optical ports in my AVR also [ OPT1 , OPT2 , OPT3] , same issue is there.
When you say sound drops, does it gets on mute (or) the volume is reduced marginally?..

Does this issue happen regardless of movie file (or) Disc?.. Does your motherbaord has SPDIF header?..

Yes ..most of the time volume drop down ( or audio cut off) and comes back again. Some times audio just distorts (like flange effect) for 1-2 secs and then it's normal.

Based on the movie : the occurrence reduces , but the issue is always there. For some movies issue comes in every 1-3 minutes , for some movies issue occurs every 30 secs.

Mostly it Looks like audio decoder issue , sometimes in my AVR : Dolby indicatorl is going off and coming back again.
I tried with MPC-home cinema and KODI player as well ..same issue. I couldnt get DTS/dolby using VLC player when i tried last time ..need to check again.
With stereo mode no issue at all , plays out very clean.

Which media player you are using ?. May be some settings issue in my PC... but i tried tuning all settings ..but still issue is there.

I use Kodi media player.. I enable the expert settings menu and bit-stream to AVR via HDMI..

Check this guide once more - https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Audio Hope you have enabled expert audio mode in kodi.. (bottom left hand corner of the screen) and selected "WASAPI - SPDIF" under output audio device..

I use Kodi media player.. I enable the expert settings menu and bit-stream to AVR via HDMI..

Check this guide once more - https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Audio Hope you have enabled expert audio mode in kodi.. (bottom left hand corner of the screen) and selected "WASAPI - SPDIF" under output audio device..
I am using same option..still the issue is there.

This happens to me on my SPDIF only Philips receiver when some other moderately heavy appliance is turned on in the house.

The issue is with MPCHC.
There are 2 chances.
Either its version is not bit streaming properly or its not doing proper hardware accelaration.
Try different media player(potplayer).lt works better.
You can check CPU uses when sound drops.It may touch 99%.
Interesting thing can be that if you exit full screen of MPC and play video,sound may not drop.
I faced similar issue over HDMI with mpc on 64bit Windows 7.
32bit OK.Pot player works perfect on that PC.

Check if PCM output is working fine. I also have a Xonar USB card which has some issue playing in native ASIO mode as it doesn't support asynchronous buffers. If issue is particularly while passing DD/DTS, download latest MPCHC Mega Codec Pack and change audio plugins and try again. Usually its the plugin which causes this issue on some PC or at a certain time and setting and takes some hit and try to diagonose

Good luck with troubleshooting and fixing this through multiple options as I am certain this must be a software issue

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back