Sound proofing a window...

Guys,

I am from Canada and my hubby is from Coimbatore. The noise in his house is horrible and cant stay there in morning hours and we both are always cranky. He built a totally sound proof room on the first floor, but still is same as the ground floor and we can hear even neighbours talking or dropping cooking utensils. I guess in Coimbatore there are not many sound proof installers.. Can any body help me to find a good sound proof installation team and where to get the windows. Our place is not sliding door and it opens outward.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Tatty

Last year I asked for my room a vacuum sealed glass pane with fiber frames. The company had gaurranted full isolation. But the quote was 60k for a 6 feet X 6 feet window which was way outside my budget. I later replaced my rubber gasket in my sliding window with felt gasket and found very good isolation. It prevents 90% of traffic noise other than an occasional horn.

Hi Everyone,

Have been a quiet follower of this site for the past few years but just registered today. Since I am in the process of switching over from regular wooden frame windows to UPVC here are my two bits from what I have understood wrt sound proofing.

DGU or Double Glazed Glass with a filling of inert gas in the gap in between is great for thermal insulation but for sound proofing would be effective if we have a 10mm and a 6 mm glass with a 100 mm gap inside. Else if it is a regular 6-10-4 DGU (6mm pane with 10mm gap and a 4 mm pane) configuration it's noise reduction would be comparable to a single pane of 8 mm. I I am not wrong the reduction is up to 32 db which is quite substantial. This is with a caveat that sliding windows are not as efficient in sound reduction as the shutter type system. Still the UPVC even with sliding windows is a far superior option than conventional systems.

I will be able to post my sound reduction once the windows are affixed by the end of this week.

Again I am not an expert in this but the above is based on my research prior to my purchase. Would love to have more feedback...

Cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back