Sound proofing a window...

Guys,

I am from Canada and my hubby is from Coimbatore. The noise in his house is horrible and cant stay there in morning hours and we both are always cranky. He built a totally sound proof room on the first floor, but still is same as the ground floor and we can hear even neighbours talking or dropping cooking utensils. I guess in Coimbatore there are not many sound proof installers.. Can any body help me to find a good sound proof installation team and where to get the windows. Our place is not sliding door and it opens outward.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Tatty

Last year I asked for my room a vacuum sealed glass pane with fiber frames. The company had gaurranted full isolation. But the quote was 60k for a 6 feet X 6 feet window which was way outside my budget. I later replaced my rubber gasket in my sliding window with felt gasket and found very good isolation. It prevents 90% of traffic noise other than an occasional horn.

Hi Everyone,

Have been a quiet follower of this site for the past few years but just registered today. Since I am in the process of switching over from regular wooden frame windows to UPVC here are my two bits from what I have understood wrt sound proofing.

DGU or Double Glazed Glass with a filling of inert gas in the gap in between is great for thermal insulation but for sound proofing would be effective if we have a 10mm and a 6 mm glass with a 100 mm gap inside. Else if it is a regular 6-10-4 DGU (6mm pane with 10mm gap and a 4 mm pane) configuration it's noise reduction would be comparable to a single pane of 8 mm. I I am not wrong the reduction is up to 32 db which is quite substantial. This is with a caveat that sliding windows are not as efficient in sound reduction as the shutter type system. Still the UPVC even with sliding windows is a far superior option than conventional systems.

I will be able to post my sound reduction once the windows are affixed by the end of this week.

Again I am not an expert in this but the above is based on my research prior to my purchase. Would love to have more feedback...

Cheers

Back