Sound proofing a window...

sureshkn

Hi,
I have a window which faces the street. Because of the traffic, I get lot of noise through that even if it is closed. Unfortunately I don't have any other room to move my audio system.

Is there a way to sound proof it ? (ie., reduce the noise coming from that window). I am ok to fully shut off the window by a sound proof material. Please give your suggestions.

Thanks,
Suresh.

Use double glass panes with a small gap in between. The window should also close completely on the frame and should be sealed with rubber or silicon strip.

Hi,
I have a window which faces the street. Because of the traffic, I get lot of noise through that even if it is closed. Unfortunately I don't have any other room to move my audio system.

Is there a way to sound proof it ? (ie., reduce the noise coming from that window). I am ok to fully shut off the window by a sound proof material. Please give your suggestions.

Thanks,
Suresh.

Go for the Double Glazing Windows. They will protect your room from external noise . Fenesta Makes some good UPVC Double glazing windows. Sara Elgi is another company which makes these windows and there are many local companies who are dealing with these , but do not know about their quality. If Money is not a problem go for the Fenesta.
Another cheap option is Change the glass in the windows to a thicker one and close it and then go for a Thick Double Curtains, this will reduce the noise to some extent.

Regards

Use double glass panes with a small gap in between. The window should also close completely on the frame and should be sealed with rubber or silicon strip.

+1. I have double paned glass windows in my house - and it provides excellent sound and temperature insulation.
Oh, and besides the silicone lining which is very effective, you should also check that the gap between the frame and the wall is properly sealed. Many times it gets old and the caulking cracks. Again, there are good quality sealants available for this and they are designed to expand and fill in the gaps, after they are injected. These modern sealants work far better than the traditional caulking by the way.

Last edited:
The same situation I had faced about 5-6 years back for my sons study room. Solved the problem with two sliding glass UPVC windows - one with single thick glass and the other with Double glazing glass. The room became silent and quite.

The easiest solution is to get rubber beads from carpenter and shove it into the gaps of window frames and door frames which have gaps.
This will also prevent windows from rattling due to subwoofer.

I am also facing this issue; so for all the suggestions should I contact some particular shop or will a carpenter be able to do it?

I have just replaced all my aluminium sliding windows with Lingel UPVC single glazed sliding windows and traffic noise has reduced considerably. Hinged shutter windows are more effective. Double glazing is most effective. Here I am talking about UPVC only. The cost, of course goes up accordingly!! Remember, all this is effective only for low pitch regular traffic and other noise. None of these will be very effective for high pitch honking which is so much prevalent in India!
Lingel is a German brand who have set up shop only recently in India. lingelwindows.com

Hi All,
Thanks for all suggestions. I will contact upvc windows vendors and update the feedback.

Thanks,
Suresh.

Hi,

Thanks,
Suresh.

Couple of months back I visited Elica showroom at ram murthy nagar bangalore, once the glass-door closed sound was almost nil in the shop that located close to the street. Even you wont hear the horn from trucks.

Shop owner told it is a sound proof glass, you may try such glass.

Last edited:
Couple of months back I visited Elica showroom at ram murthy nagar bangalore, once the glass-door closed sound was almost nil in the shop that located close to the street. Even you wont hear the horn from trucks.

Shop owner told it is a sound proof glass, you may try such glass.

Really curious about this glass door. Can someone please check and post details on this thread.:signthankspin:

Glass is glass - and the sound proofing depends on the thickness or as posted above a double glass will be better.

The amount of sound attenuation is directly proportional to the mass per unit area of the barrier.

All of the above will be of no use if you have gaps at the edges. So be careful about the gaps if you are getting windows built at your place. This is where prefabricated double glass Fensata scores.

I think that double-glazed units that are made for sound proofing may have the air pumped out of the gap --- but all double glazing helps. Remember that sound is transmitted by all the materials of the window, the frame, and even the wall. Domestic double glazing is not going to sound-proof, but it can make a big enough difference to make it worthwhile.

The quality, of the glass units, the frames, and the fitting makes a big difference, especially as it gets older, This is a new product in India, and small companies are springing up. How to chose the best?

Plz note that Double Glazed Windows are best suited when they are openable outward or inward and are NOT SLIDING windows. In all sliding Windows, there is always a gap between the sliding panes and the gap remains always. If there are no options, then only go for sliding windows.

I hadn't thought of that! but...

I believe that you will still get benefit. Sliding windows may not have the rubber seals of "opening" (I think the term might be "casement?") windows, but they should be well made to a good fit in the frame.

you are not out of luck...
go for lift and slide windows or doors; they are as good as casement.

I am relocating my existing dedicated HT to another room in my house which has one large window. I am fixing thick 12 mm plywood which can be opened inward and covering plywood board with fabric and acoustic foams. Hope it will reduce sound from the street.

A layer of lead sheet might be more effective. Is it still available? Is it very expensive? That and 12mm ply might give quite a lot of insulation

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back