Sound Quality (STEREO)

lifewater

Hi,

Off and On I have been using a Iomega Mediaplayer for listening to MP3s in my pen drive / Hard Disk. But the sound quality sucks. I have compared the SQ to a Philips DVD player DVP3226 and found it to be a huge improvement.

Now the problem is it doesnt support a HDD and I dont want to use a HTPC / DAC in the chain.

Is there any way out to enjoy good sound quality from MP3s in a HDD or Pendrive without using a HTPC and DAC. Happy with the DVD player but it doesnt support the HDD:sad:

Thanks for looking and your advises.

Regards,

Lifewater

Is there any way out to enjoy good sound quality from MP3s in a HDD or Pendrive without using a HTPC and DAC.

Short answer: NO

Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:)

But you could attempt by trying the better quality digital audio players like FiiO, Sandisk, iPod, etc.

Last edited:
Hi,

Off and On I have been using a Iomega Mediaplayer for listening to MP3s in my pen drive / Hard Disk. But the sound quality sucks. I have compared the SQ to a Philips DVD player DVP3226 and found it to be a huge improvement.

Now the problem is it doesnt support a HDD and I dont want to use a HTPC / DAC in the chain.

Is there any way out to enjoy good sound quality from MP3s in a HDD or Pendrive without using a HTPC and DAC. Happy with the DVD player but it doesnt support the HDD:sad:

Thanks for looking and your advises.

Regards,

Lifewater

Lifewater,

Sound quality is not something you can get greatly from MP3 files since it is a lossy compression based media.

To have real good sound quality, i would suggest to move your choice of files from MP3 to FLAC or WAV or ALAC (if you are an apple guy ).

there are so many DAP's which play FLAC or WAV today at good prices. Be aware that FLAC will not be recognized by your DVD player

I for one use Cowon J3 with FLAC for all my music ( MP3 still exists for those that i cant get an audio CD for ).

Like aashish351 has mentioned, Fiio , Sandisk are also good players. But i would still urge you to consider a better quality of source.

Most players are like Garbage in -> Garbage out ..what you feed in is the quality you would be able to hear.

Cheers
Pd

Hi

I just looked up the specs of your Philips DVD player DVP3226 and it looks there is a "Front / Side connections USB" and that it will play MP3.

So maybe a solution would be plug your usb stick/ pendrive into that and enjoy your music.

While I agree with the other posters points about better formats and players, they do not meet your current/ immediate requirement.

I also realize you will get your music but not the cataloging / playlisting convenience of your Iomega Mediaplayer, however this approach should not cost anything more than 0.00 INR (assuming you have a 32 or 64 GB flashdrive handy). For a while I had a 128 SSD connected to a WDTVlive player for listening to my music, so yeah clunky but it worked.

ciao
gr

Hi

I just looked up the specs of your Philips DVD player DVP3226 and it looks there is a "Front / Side connections USB" and that it will play MP3.

So maybe a solution would be plug your usb stick/ pendrive into that and enjoy your music.

While I agree with the other posters points about better formats and players, they do not meet your current/ immediate requirement.

I also realize you will get your music but not the cataloging / playlisting convenience of your Iomega Mediaplayer, however this approach should not cost anything more than 0.00 INR (assuming you have a 32 or 64 GB flashdrive handy). For a while I had a 128 SSD connected to a WDTVlive player for listening to my music, so yeah clunky but it worked.

ciao
gr
Hi, agree with you in totality. You have addressed my query. the problem lies in the fact that I have got a 500 GB HDD full of music and the DVD player fails to recognize it. Presently using a 32 GB Pen drive.
Lifewater,

Sound quality is not something you can get greatly from MP3 files since it is a lossy compression based media.

To have real good sound quality, i would suggest to move your choice of files from MP3 to FLAC or WAV or ALAC (if you are an apple guy ).

there are so many DAP's which play FLAC or WAV today at good prices. Be aware that FLAC will not be recognized by your DVD player

I for one use Cowon J3 with FLAC for all my music ( MP3 still exists for those that i cant get an audio CD for ).

Like aashish351 has mentioned, Fiio , Sandisk are also good players. But i would still urge you to consider a better quality of source.

Most players are like Garbage in -> Garbage out ..what you feed in is the quality you would be able to hear.

Cheers
Pd
Hi Aashish, I get you. BUT the main concern is that say a song "A" , whatever might be its quality, sounds better in fact much better if I play it from the DVD player as compared to the Media Player. While the Media player plays all formats it is the sound quality which is lacking.:sad:

I doubt that it will work but, if you have one at hand, try and connect a FAT32 formatted external HDD which has its own power and see if it works.

Another option, if it sounds convenient to you, is to burn MP3-DVD (your dvd player can read them as per spec.). You could group your MP3 by genre or similar artists. I am sure you don't listen to Rock and Indian Classical in the same listening session!!

I doubt that it will work but, if you have one at hand, try and connect a FAT32 formatted external HDD which has its own power and see if it works.

Another option, if it sounds convenient to you, is to burn MP3-DVD (your dvd player can read them as per spec.). You could group your MP3 by genre or similar artists. I am sure you don't listen to Rock and Indian Classical in the same listening session!!

Hard Disk with external power doesnot work. Phew... seems I need to go back to the Discs..:eek:

Hard Disk with external power doesnot work. Phew... seems I need to go back to the Discs..:eek:

Lifewater,

I dont know how much is the size of your MP3 collection, but these days the USB storage has come substantially cheaper.

You can get a 64 or 128 GB USB stick and plug it in to your DVD player, not sure on the compatibility of your player with larger size USB disks.

External HDD's are a problem with the DVD drives and hence suggest to stick with larger size USB Sticks.

Let me know if you test larger size USB disks on ur DVD player.

Cheers,
Prashant

If you ask me shortest and cheapest way to get a decent close to audiophile song quality is ...

Raspberry Pi on MoOde or Volumio=>FiiO USB DAC=>Speakers ..... assuming you have decent set of speakers, you can connect an ext HDD to Raspberry Pi USB port which will be read by MoOde or Volumio. Cost ... 3000 for Rpi, 4000 For USB DAC, MoOde or Volumio FREE, speakers and ext HDD you already have presumably, everything can be remotely controlled by Android/iOS phone/tab.......... and Oh yes make sure you play FLACs and not MP3sss .. :)

Last edited:
Try this.... Connect your HDD to your media player and take non processed signal out from that to your DVdP. I suggest this considering a thinner capacity of your DVDP to read an HDD of 500GB. Tell us if you find any difference.

Disclaimer: I have never used a media player so don't know any IOs option provided on yours.

Last edited:
HDMI out is to be used as it is purely signal data and not processed (I guess [emoji17]). Connect HDMI to DVDP if it has one HDMI in. Basically what I'm suggesting is to put he sound processing out of your media player's duty.

Buy a cheap BDp for 6-8K which supports flac.Most of new BDps can play music from ext Hard drive(min 1 TB) connected via USB.The digital out will be better than media player.

What is your media chain? I mean HDD->media player -> amp->speakers?
Correct .
HDMI out is to be used as it is purely signal data and not processed (I guess [emoji17]). Connect HDMI to DVDP if it has one HDMI in. Basically what I'm suggesting is to put he sound processing out of your media player's duty.
DVD Player has no HDMI In.

Buy a cheap BDp for 6-8K which supports flac.Most of new BDps can play music from ext Hard drive(min 1 TB) connected via USB.The digital out will be better than media player.
Okay will check. I need Analog out and not Digital. Otherwise the Digital out of the Media Player sounds good . I can say because checked it through my AV receiver. Guess the DAC of the Media Player is not Good.

Thanks.

Pioneer bdp-170 should be good for Music and Movies too. Its bit costly But could be a best solution for you.

It has Stereo outputs and have rave review inside and outside the forum as well.

Pioneer bdp-170 should be good for Music and Movies too. Its bit costly But could be a best solution for you.

It has Stereo outputs and have rave review inside and outside the forum as well.

Thanks Dear. Seems I need to save up to buy new source equipment.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back