sound suggestions for an irregular room

rydhun

hi all,

i've been reading posts on this forum for a few months now and finally decided to join the family, so here i am.

i'm looking for a sound system to go with my sony 37 lcd that could provide for a mix of everyday tv viewing, music and movies. for music, my use would include the following: worldspace (50%), ipod (30%) & audio cds (20%). i like listening to the following genres: rock, fusion, ghazals & hindi movie numbers. my movie watching pattern is 70% xvid avis (from usb) and 30% dvds. for everyday tv viewing, i would want to hook up the sound system with tata sky but i have apprensions about it. for music channels & movies, it could provide a better listening experience but for everything else, it could get too loud.

1. i'm planning to arrange the setup in my living room which is roughly l-shaped. please take a look at the attached floorplan (not to scale). room dimensions are mentioned on the plan. the preferred location for the lcd & seating is also marked on the plan. given the space and the location, what kind of speakers should i be looking at? would towers be better, or book shelves?
2. i'm planning to have a wooden laminated flooring in the living and dining (l).would that have a negative/positive impact on the sound?
3. what is the impact of different type of seating on the sound? how is the sound affected by solid wood furniture vs. say, recliners/leather/faux leather?
4. i'm currently looking at a startup budget of 50-60k. with that, i'm planning to get a avr & a pair of towers. i'll later be adding a sub and surround speakers. reading the threads on the forum, i'm looking at denon 1509/marantz 4001 and wharfedale diamond 9.5/mordaunt short avant 906i. is that a good choice given the room size/shape? do you have any better suggestions?

please let me know your thoughts on the above.

cheers!

Attachments

• floorPlan.jpg
    floorPlan.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
hi Rhydhun,

Welcome to the forum. This is a pretty decent place for exchange of ideas and people are generally great wrt attitude and level of help.

My house is somewhat similar in shape to yours (except it does not have the dining room to the side). Having said that, the location you are thinking of should be fine since you will be 7-8 ft away from the TV once you place it.

Couple things to also consider re: your buying options.

Look for bookshelf speakers as well so they may not be as overpowering as the floorstanders esp. if you are adding a sub (the price is a bit below floor standers but you end up paying for the stands). They provide excellent sound stage and clarity.

re: your flooring. Its fine to go with laminate. However I suggest to use some heavy carpet or rugs to not create too much reflections.

Also unless you are talking about a lot of furniture, normal ones shoudl be fine. Things to avoid with large surfaces are granite tops, wood tables that too around a few feet from the system. So overall you shoudl be fine.

hi all,

i've been reading posts on this forum for a few months now and finally decided to join the family, so here i am.

i'm looking for a sound system to go with my sony 37 lcd that could provide for a mix of everyday tv viewing, music and movies. for music, my use would include the following: worldspace (50%), ipod (30%) & audio cds (20%). i like listening to the following genres: rock, fusion, ghazals & hindi movie numbers. my movie watching pattern is 70% xvid avis (from usb) and 30% dvds. for everyday tv viewing, i would want to hook up the sound system with tata sky but i have apprensions about it. for music channels & movies, it could provide a better listening experience but for everything else, it could get too loud.

1. i'm planning to arrange the setup in my living room which is roughly l-shaped. please take a look at the attached floorplan (not to scale). room dimensions are mentioned on the plan. the preferred location for the lcd & seating is also marked on the plan. given the space and the location, what kind of speakers should i be looking at? would towers be better, or book shelves?
2. i'm planning to have a wooden laminated flooring in the living and dining (l).would that have a negative/positive impact on the sound?
3. what is the impact of different type of seating on the sound? how is the sound affected by solid wood furniture vs. say, recliners/leather/faux leather?
4. i'm currently looking at a startup budget of 50-60k. with that, i'm planning to get a avr & a pair of towers. i'll later be adding a sub and surround speakers. reading the threads on the forum, i'm looking at denon 1509/marantz 4001 and wharfedale diamond 9.5/mordaunt short avant 906i. is that a good choice given the room size/shape? do you have any better suggestions?

please let me know your thoughts on the above.

cheers!

hi marsilians,

thanks for your suggestions, i'll start exploring book shelves as well in my search.

i was suggested at some stores that the lack of left wall (reflective surface) in this setup could cause a lower/weaker sound on the left channel. is this kind of an issue handled only by tuning, or are there other (inexpensive) alternatives as well?

cheers
rydhun

hi marsilians,

thanks for your suggestions, i'll start exploring book shelves as well in my search.

i was suggested at some stores that the lack of left wall (reflective surface) in this setup could cause a lower/weaker sound on the left channel. is this kind of an issue handled only by tuning, or are there other (inexpensive) alternatives as well?

cheers
rydhun

With a listening distance of 7/8 ft there will not be too much dispersion in the waves coming out of the speakers. so you will hardly see a difference. Another thing that works in your favour is that you will be placing any speakers 'toe'd in' - which means that they will be angled inwards facing the listening position, which will better direct the waves towards the desired position.

Thought I'd add update the thread with the status of my search ...

Many Thanks marsilians, for guiding me in the direction of bookshelves, it has opened up some more avenues. At this point, I should confess that as a newbie to this domain, my initial instincts were driven by reviews, popular opinions & looks. Reading more and more on this forum is making me approach things with an open mind, or should I say ears.

So, after reading more threads in this forums, I decided to evaluate HTIB & bookshelves as well. The former for VFM, and due to the fact that I currently don't own a HT, so its likely that a HTIB just might be able to satisfy my needs for an year or two at least and within a budget. Bookshelves, again, became an option once I started looking beyond the looks of Floorstanders.

Here's what my observations were from my auditions:

1. Product: Onkyo HT-3100
I had read a lot of praise for the 3100 and went in with very high expectations. I first auditioned these speakers at ezone. The salesman played a few movie clips: Saving Private Ryan, MI-3, Kill Bill, Bourne Identity & Hotel California DVD. I asked him to play some rock music and he played Dire Straits. Music sounded flat on the system, couldn't hear the guitaring clearly and the base was lacking; was actually quite turned off. I figured that maybe the system's not been setup properly. Wanted to give the 3100 another shot, so headed to another showroom. On the movie clips, the effect seemed the same. But music was still bad, the beats on "Your latest trick" by Dire Straits sounded horrible. So basically, the 3100 didn't impress me at all. Cost: 18.5K

2. Product: Onkyo HT-5105
Run through the same movie clips on the 5105. The base sounded more powerful and was happy with the way the movie clips sounded. When it came to music, it sounded very similar. The sound wasn't so flat but still lacking in bass, but definitely better than the 3100. Quite convinced I won't be happy taking the 5105 home. Cost: approx 32K AFAIR

3. Product: Onkyo HT-5100
Movie clips sounded much better, could hear more thunder. But at this poiunt, I'm beginning to realize that whether its the 3100 or the 5100, it'll satisfy my movie watching needs. It's actually good performance with music that I'm seeking. Played a couple of tracks on the 5100 and I'm quite happy with what I hear. I'm told that it's a 7.1 & comes with an iPod dock. The speakers have angular cuts and look quite nice. Price: 40K
Mental Note: Go back & audition the 5100 with my own CDs & music on iPod, maybe with a divX movie too.

For auditioning the separates, I decide to skip the movie clips altogether since if I go for separates, my budget will just allow the AVR & a pair of speakers. So, I decide to concentrate on music. I carry my own CDs for the following auditions. The tracks I'm going to use include (first 7 on audio CDs, rest on iPod):
1. Jhini - Indian Ocean
2. Torrent - Indian Ocean
3. Bandey - Black Friday
4. Opening/Pre-Blast - Black Friday
5. Om namah shivaya (live) - Russians rock
6. Bombay Theme - Fluid fluit grooves (Naveen & Sivamani)
7. Jiya Jale - Fluid fluit grooves (Naveen & Sivamani)
8. Woman from Tokyo - Deep Purple
9. Highway Star - Deep Purple
10. Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
11. Your latest trick - Dire Straits
12. Gwaundian de dhol - Dr. Zeus
13. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
14. Johnny Gaddar Title track
15. Pani Pani - Maachis soundtrack
16. Sunoh - Lucky Ali
17. Enter Sandman - Metallica
18. Nadia - Nitin Sawhney
19. Falling - Nitin Sawhney
20. The great gig in the sky - Pink Floyd
21. Coming back to life - Pink Floyd
22. Put your lights on - Santana
23. The same song - Susheela Raman

4. Product: Denon 1509 with Polk Audio Tsi100 bookshelves
I find these speakers lacking in base and vocals too sound unauthorative. After 30 minutes of auditioning, I'm quite convinced that these won't be able to keep me happy.

5. Product: Denon 1509 with Polk Audio Tsi300 bookshelves
These are floorstanders and sound much better than the Tsi100s. Base is not overwhelming but barely enough. I listen to these speakers for 45-50 minutes and its an enjoyable listening experience. I must mention that I felt very comfortable listening to these speakers, totally fatigue-free. Finish is good and the charm of a floorstander. Cost is 21K minus a 8% discount for the speakers, ~22K for AVR.

6. Product: Denon Integrated Amp with Wharfedale 9.2 bookshelves
Very very impressive. With my eyes closed, I wouldn't have been able to believe that these speakers could produce such dazzling sound. The music has a clear punch to it, each beat, each high note sounded fun on these speakers. Maybe it was the amp, but I couldn't have known more sure as the showroom didn't have any entry level AVR to hook these speakers with, they had Denon 2309 & higher models. I ran through the above tracks on these 9.2s and they actually sounded as par with the Tsi300, even better in some areas. Cost is 17.65K minus a 7% discount.

7. Product: Denon Integrated Amp with Wharfedale 9.5 floorstanders
Almost perfect for the kind of music I listen to. Produced better sound than the 9.2 especially on vocals and rock tracks. But I found then a little overwhelming, maybe I was sitting too close or the volume was too high. Fun to listen to, but can't help comparing them with 9.2s. With the 9.2s, you get a fairly good sound at a much better price. Got a little headache listening to these, maybe it was the effect of all 4 auditions combined. Cost: 30.8K minus 7%

So, I have a couple of questions:
1. Tsi300 sounded very musical to me and its a floor stander within 20K. But I don't find much talk about it on the forums. Why?
2. I'm planning to carry out an extensive music audition with HT-5100. What are the general opinions about this model?
3. Denon 1509 seems like an outdated model but has good reviews. My TV has 3 HDMI ports so I'm not really looking for HDMI switching. I can either extend my budget for speakers or for the AVR. What would be better?
4. I'm not planning to add a sub for listening to music, but I have a feeling I might start feeling a lack of base in the 9.2s soon. Does that feeling warrant a stretch to 9.5s? This question is basically related to Question #3.
5. I haven't got an opportunity to audition any Marantz AVRs till now. For a 50-50 mix of music and movies, is Denon better than Marantz or vice versa?

Any other suggestions?

I have a feeling that I could go on and on with these auditions for months. However, I want to run through the options & decide on something within a few weeks (ideally 3, max 4) since I'm likely to get confused looking at more & more options. Which are the safest options to go with?

Wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day!

Cheers
Rydhun

P.S: Is it possible to move this thread to the "What should I buy?" section? I have a feeling it doesn't belong here. How do I go about moving a thread?

1. Tsi300 sounded very musical to me and its a floor stander within 20K. But I don't find much talk about it on the forums. Why?

Rydhun, I am looking for a similar system.

This is one of the questions I have been waiting to ask. I am looking for Tsi400 series. Have u heard them. If so Wats ur thought on that?

3. Denon 1509 seems like an outdated model but has good reviews. My TV has 3 HDMI ports so I'm not really looking for HDMI switching. I can either extend my budget for speakers or for the AVR. What would be better?

IMHO, i think we should invest a good amount of money on our speakers. The AVRs are going down in price everyday and new tech will be coming up everyday. But we have to draw a line somewhere and take the plunge. I think you can also try Yamaha AVR's. Based on the reading I have done in this forum, Yamaha has been preferred for music and movies (slightly more than the Denon)

4. I'm not planning to add a sub for listening to music, but I have a feeling I might start feeling a lack of base in the 9.2s soon. Does that feeling warrant a stretch to 9.5s? This question is basically related to Question #3.

It is a preference actually, but I think you might need a sub either way. Mostly if you start watching movies, even ur 9.5's will need a sub (better sub actually as the 9.5s go pretty low already and u need something to improve the effect). But let me know wat u decide.

Hi Guys I had posted a reply to the ONKYO 3100 vs ONKYO 5100 thread but havent got any comments since the past about 5 days so seems like that the post is dormant unless I'm not aware how to post it nyways m just copying it below for ur expert opinions.I sincerely hope I get some info.My room where I intend to put the HT is similar to Ridhun's thanx:

Hi Guys I'm a new entrant to HiFi.
Have read all the posts of this thread and would req some advice.M lukin for a HTS under 50k chkd almost all available here in gurgaon n have shorlisted the 5100 have really liked the indepth sound of it even in an open store hall like the Reliance digital.I have a full hd 42" LCD and so have been adviced by one of my friends to go for a full HD AV receiver to make it future proof.Allthough for this price (38000/- @ Reliance n 40000/- including component cable and oxygen free wiring @ Onkyo dealer in Gurgaon) nothing has compared the 5100 in sound as my living room where this will be placed is about 12'/14' and is open on one end i.e no wall at all and has the dining attached and a glass door and window on the other so need something with deep base.So that ofcourse is taken care of by the 5100.what I really nead to know is:
1- nything else avail in that price range considering my req
2- Should I actually go for a full HD AVR,will it really make a world of a difference I'v got Tata sky,world space,ps,DVD player(non hd at the moment) to attach but can upgrade to a HD dvd.
3- ny recomendations on a non boxed full HD AVR and a set of speaker system n sub that fulfills my req there is lil flexibility in budget
4- shd I jst go for this at the moment n then upgrade to HD AVR later as and when req if so
5-5100 has HDMI Pass through, what is that exactly?
6- Will it make a world of a difference if Audio is not HD and we passing a HD signal thruogh the AVR
7- I'v been told there is some 9 series Onkyo HTS which is full HD bt costs a lil more ny idea how much and which model is it exactly n is it worth it?
8- What is the THX tech n how much is this model for is the AVR full HD in this?
9- Ny idea where to get the speaker stands from?

Srry to have bombarded u guys with so many Qs,would appreciate a response to as many of them as possible as I'm also a part of the confused people club.n lukin @ investing as soon as I get answers to this.

Cheers

Karan

Rydhun, I am looking for a similar system.

This is one of the questions I have been waiting to ask. I am looking for Tsi400 series. Have u heard them. If so Wats ur thought on that?
No, I haven't had a chance to listen to the Tsi400.

It is a preference actually, but I think you might need a sub either way. Mostly if you start watching movies, even ur 9.5's will need a sub (better sub actually as the 9.5s go pretty low already and u need something to improve the effect). But let me know wat u decide.
Slightly unrelated question, but which budget AVRs can drive 9.5s? Would a Denon 1509 be able to drive 9.5s; 1509 is 75W X 5, while 9.5 specs read 30-150W? Please share your thoughts on this. Also, if someone could explain me the technical aspect of speaker matching or point me to some good links, I would appreciate it.

Cheers!

As a follow-up to my post on 14th Feb, I would like to post some updates with my latest auditions:

1. Onkyo 5100
Tested the same audio & MP3 tracks on the 5100. The setting was 2 channel with the sub switched off for some tracks and sub switched on for some others. The audio was powerful, though not crisp. The base was overpowering and I made the salesman adjust the subwoofer power to reduce the boom. Overall, the sound quality is nowhere near that observed on 9.2s, or on Floorstanders but much better than 3100/5105. Increasing the volume on some tracks (The same song by Susheela Raman) clearly brought out the inadequacy of the front speakers. I purposely didn't sample the all channel stereo mode since I've found that music sounds unnatural on that.

2. CA 640A V2 with Mordaunt Short 902i
Sounded good but lacking in base. My instinct with these speakers was to increase the volume in order to hear some notes. It may be a personal preference but I found that Wharfedale 9.2s emphasize the notes much more clearly even at lower volumes. This becomes more apparent when comparing background beats, and tracks with lots of percussion. AVR looks good in silver, with a blue display, very different from the usual silver and green look. 902is look quite small compared to 9.2s.

3. Marantz PM7002 with Mordaunt Short 902i
Same observation with percussion and base. However, comparing this setup with the previous one side by side, I could notice a two-tone effect in husky female voices. This was explained by the store manager as extra treatment of sound, CA being portrayed as more on the refined side. I was explained that CA has more filters which removes the "brightness" of the sound without artificially treating it. Ironically, this so called "brightness" was retained by the Marantz, and came across as "more juice" in the music which was more likable by me. With the 9.2s, this juice was even more. I wonder how pairing PM7002 with 9.2/9.5 would sound. Marantz receiver looked nice in black.

4. CA 540R V2 with Mordaunt Short 902i
Quite frankly, this sounded very similar to the 2nd combo. This may be a considered a good or bad, considering that the CA AVR is able to produce quite comparable sound as its Audio receiver (maybe my ears don't recognize the difference, yet). On the other hand, 540A is priced lower than 540R, so that may be another way to look at it.

I wanted to audition Marantz SR5002 AVR, but the same wasn't available.

Pricing:
Onkyo 5100: 40K
CA 640A V2: 24K
CA 540R V2: 34K
Marantz PM7002: 27.5K
Marantz SR5002: 32K + Tax(12.5%)

From all the auditions so far, this is what my preference is for each category:
Bookshelves: Wharfedale 9.2
Floorstanders: Wharfedale 9.5, Polk Audio Tsi300 (for the performance at that price point)
HTIB: Onkyo 5100

Given that my inclination is towards 9.2 and 9.5 (stretch), which are the AVRs (at the lowest price point) which will be able to drive these speakers?

saravanansuri: Which Yamaha AVRs do you recommend I try?

Cheers!

P.S: I'm a novice, and so my observations and expressions would sound non-technical. Am just trying to learn as I go along, so please be patient with me as I dig deeper, and understand the lingo.

rydhun said:

I have auditioned a number of Polks, but not this model. In my mind, the Polks, being of Canadian origin, are very forward and bright. At the same time, this characteristic will be an advantage for movies.

rydhun said:
2. I'm planning to carry out an extensive music audition with HT-5100. What are the general opinions about this model?

There are a number of members here who are using this model and are very happy with it. Onkyo HTIBs seem to be the most popular.

rydhun said:

The 1509 is part of the 09 series which is the latest offerings from Denon. But the 1509 is at the bottom of the series of Denon AVRs.

rydhun said:
4. I'm not planning to add a sub for listening to music, but I have a feeling I might start feeling a lack of base in the
9.2s soon. Does that feeling warrant a stretch to 9.5s? This question is basically related to Question #3.

The 9.5s are very good at playing low frequencies. Many of us feel that if you use the 9.5, you don't need a sub at all. For music alone, you don't need a sub even with a 9.2. In music we look for clarity and sweetness of music - the ability to hear all instruments and singers without any harshness. If you look at Interactive Frequency Chart - Independent Recording Network, only the Tuba goes down to 20Hz. All other instruments and singers are 30Hz and above. With a frequency range of 45Hz-24KHz, the 9.2 can handle most music comfortably. The 9.5 goes down to 30Hz which very few subs do. Even if you attach a sub, when you listen to music using Pure Direct mode, you will be using what is called 2.0 mode. In this mode the sub is not used. So select your speakers carefully.

rydhun said:
5. I haven't got an opportunity to audition any Marantz AVRs till now. For a 50-50 mix of music and movies, is Denon better than Marantz or vice versa?

This is very difficult to answer. There are enough fans for all the four major AVR manufacturers - Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, and Marantz. My personal opinion is that Yamaha is the best for Movies, and comes a close second for music. Denon/Marantz are good for music, but are beaten by Yamaha and Onkyo for movies. The current corp of Yamaha sound good for music also.

rydhun said:
I have a feeling that I could go on and on with these auditions for months. However, I want to run through the options & decide on something within a few weeks (ideally 3, max 4) since I'm likely to get confused looking at more & more options. Which are the safest options to go with?

Auditioning is very critical. I feel the number of CDs you are carrying may be too many. Select a few from various genres and use them for auditioning.

rydhun said:
P.S: Is it possible to move this thread to the "What should I buy?" section? I have a feeling it doesn't belong here. How do I go about moving a thread?

Every post has a icon to attract the moderator's attention. This is an exclamation mark enclosed in a red triangle. Using this write to the moderator, and he will do what is needed.

karanbains@hotmail said:
1- nything else avail in that price range considering my req
As I have mentioned above, Onkyo HTIBs are good, and the 5100 is considered to be a good model.

karanbains@hotmail said:
2- Should I actually go for a full HD AVR,will it really make a world of a difference I'v got Tata sky,world space,ps,DVD player(non hd at the moment) to attach but can upgrade to a HD dvd.

This is a question of economics. To get a FullHD system with an AVR that can scale to 1080P, you are looking at a minimum of about 50,000 for the AVR alone. Unless you are looking at seeing and using Blu-ray discs, HD Ready system is more than enough for today and for the next 12 to 24 months.

karanbains@hotmail said:
3- ny recomendations on a non boxed full HD AVR and a set of speaker system n sub that fulfills my req there is lil flexibility in budget .

Unless you can flex your budget by about 3 times, stick to what you are looking at now. A decent component based HT System (AVR, DVD Player etc separately) is between 1.5 to 2 lakhs. This has been my experience after spending nearly 2 months assembling a system for a friend.

karanbains@hotmail said:
4- shd I jst go for this at the moment n then upgrade to HD AVR later as and when req if so
As I said above, HD AVR will make sense in terms of economics and muti channel music availability after about 18 months or so. So go for the HTIB now, and look for a AVR sometime later.

karanbains@hotmail said:
5-5100 has HDMI Pass through, what is that exactly?
What this means is that when you connect a DVD Player through HDMI, the video signals will be sent to the TV without any processing by the 5100. So if you use a DVD Player that can show 1080P signals and your TV can also display 1080P signals, you will get FullHD images even when the 5100 cannot understand them.

karanbains@hotmail said:
6- Will it make a world of a difference if Audio is not HD and we passing a HD signal thruogh the AVR
Nope. HD Audio will be available only on some Blu-Ray discs. HD Audio will become relevant only when your start using a Blu-Ray player.

karanbains@hotmail said:
8- What is the THX tech n how much is this model for is the AVR full HD in this?

THX is a technology designed by Lucas Studios to ensure certified system recreate sound exactly as it was recorded at their studios. This was necessary for movies such as Star Wars. Not very relevant, unless you are looking for a 4 to 5 lakh system, and superb room acoustics.

THX has nothing to do with Full or even partial HD. It is related to sound recreation of any quality.

saravanansuri said:
Slightly unrelated question, but which budget AVRs can drive 9.5s? Would a Denon 1509 be able to drive 9.5s; 1509 is 75W X 5, while 9.5 specs read 30-150W? Please share your thoughts on this. Also, if someone could explain me the technical aspect of speaker matching or point me to some good links, I would appreciate it.

When a speaker specs says 30-150 watts, what it means is that it nneds a minimum of 30 watts to make a sound, and will start distorting the sound after 150 watts. So ANY amplifier that can generate some 100 odd watts will work with the speakers quite well. If the amplifer has just 50 watts, it might find it difficult to drive the speakers well. Always look for more wattage on the amplifier rather than on the speakers.

rydhun said:
Floorstanders: Wharfedale 9.5, Polk Audio Tsi300 (for the performance at that price point)

The Wharfedales are always a good choice for people at that budget level. They will perform admirably way above their price point.

rydhun said:
Given that my inclination is towards 9.2 and 9.5 (stretch), which are the AVRs (at the lowest price point) which will be able to drive these speakers?

Again as I mentioned above, if you are looking at AVRs, you are going way above your budget. But if you insist, for the 9.2/9.5s some of the popular AVRs are Onlyo 606, Denon 1909, Yamaha 663, and the Marantz 5003/6003.

Cheers

Again as I mentioned above, if you are looking at AVRs, you are going way above your budget. But if you insist, for the 9.2/9.5s some of the popular AVRs are Onlyo 606, Denon 1909, Yamaha 663, and the Marantz 5003/6003.

Hi venkatcr,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, its really appreciated.

If I look at stereo receivers instead of AVRs within the 20-25K budget (to go with 9.2/9.5s), which models do you recommend?

Thanks!

If I look at stereo receivers instead of AVRs within the 20-25K budget (to go with 9.2/9.5s), which models do you recommend?

There have been a number of threads that have discussed budget amps where a number of people have provided model numbers and prices. One such thread is http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/3257-help-stereo-setup.html. Basically good budget amps are from Marantz, NAD, CA. Indian companies such as Norge, Sonodyne also make good budget amps. CA's 340 series has been an award winner for many years. NAD also make very good amps (325BEE) around that price, as does Marantz. Audition as many of these as possible, and choose the ones you like.

Cheers

As a follow-up to my post on 14th Feb, I would like to post some updates with my latest auditions:

saravanansuri: Which Yamaha AVRs do you recommend I try?

If your are going for floorstanders there is no need to go for HTib, instead you could go for Onkyo SR606 or Yamaha AVR663.

Actually it's either HTIB or FS/BS, not both.

Seems to be you are at a standstill re: the choices after all the audition.

If you can afford to go with AVR/Integrated/Stereo amps then go with BS or FS. HTiBs have lower cost of return on music and value (since they are upgraded in much quicker succession than AVRs).

So, I've finally decided on the speakers, was impressed all along with Diamond 9.2s and decided to go with them. Ordered in Cherry color, ETA is Monday.

However, I'm really confused regarding the amplifier. I had made up my mind to go in for Marantz PM6002 but got to know that it's no longer available. Checked PM7001 & learnt that it's been replaced by PM7003 (which is out of my budget). So, the options I have available are Marantz PM5003, CA 540A V2 & Yamaha AX-397. I've listened to all three of these but not with Wharfedale speakers (different dealers for these brands). While I liked both PM5003 & CA 540A V2, I'm confused on whether the PM5003 will be powerful enough for 9.2s. PM5003 is 40W*2 @8ohms and 9.2s are 20-100W @6ohms. 540A V2 is 60W*2 @8ohms. I'm in bit of a dilemma here as I've read (somewhere on) this forum that running an underpowered amp with higher power speakers can cause damage to the speakers. Specifically with respect to the above options, what is recommended? What's the best option for 9.2s?

Also, quite frankly, I could stretch a bit but then I would like to go in for an AVR instead of an Amp (cost adjustment against future upgrade to HT: convincing argument for wife approval).

Please guide me on the above.

Thanks!

Re: sound suggestions for an irregular room from vencatcr sir

vencatcr sir,
i wd like to know how u'll rate the combination of
wharfedale speakers9hcp with its subwoofer sw-150

&
marantz sr3001 or sr301(reciever )

in ur coments i've studied u've written tht yamaha new crop has good amplifiers which are good for music
pls give the model which can be paired best with whrfedales and r in the range of marantz models which i 've mentioned.
my preference for
music :70%
movies :30%
budget:50k

please guide me in this context and if thr is any chance of correction pls do so
i'm from delhi so it'll b good if u can guide me in context of places in delhi whr i can get it in cheap rates(for yamaha,marantz and wharfedales)

Re: sound suggestions for an irregular room from vencatcr sir

i wd like to know how u'll rate the combination of wharfedale speakers9hcp with its subwoofer sw-150 & marantz sr3001 or sr301(reciever )

The Wharfedales are always a safe bet. I have used thye SW150 extensively, and it is a good sub at the price range. It is a little tricky to set it up, but once set it performs very well indeed.

in ur coments i've studied u've written tht yamaha new crop has good amplifiers which are good for music pls give the model which can be paired best with whrfedales and r in the range of marantz models which i 've mentioned.

Both Marantz and Yamaha are good, Marantz, particularly, is supposed to be very good for music.

Yes, the new crop of Yamahas are excellent AVRs. You can look at any of their models 463, 563, or the 663. You will find the sound signature to be the same. Depending upon the features your need and your budget, you can choose from these.

Please audition both Marantz and Yamaha and see which one you like.

i'm from delhi so it'll b good if u can guide me in context of places in delhi whr i can get it in cheap rates(for yamaha,marantz and wharfedales)

Here is a list of brands and the dealer/retailers in Delhi.

• Denon,Jamo at- Hi-Fi Zone, Chandani Chowk, 23863304, 9811256782
  • Yamaha - Gemini Traders,Near Red Fort,23866526, 9311155528
  • Wharfedale -BASS 'n' TREBLE (for Wharfedale, Quad, DAC, Vanguard) F-6, First floor, Manish Link Road, Plaza-1, Plot 9, Sector-5, Dwarka, New Delhi-110075. Tel: 9999016124, (011) 45509308.
  • Marantz - Home Theater World, Mr. Ahitosh. 98112 78764

Cheers

Have ordered Yamaha RX-V363 receiver, am now eagerly waiting for delivery. The Wharfedale 9.2s are also slated for delivery along with the receiver.

I must also mention that I also had an opportunity to audition the Norge 2060 & 1000 stereo amplifiers, paired with 9.2s. With the knob at 75%, I could clearly observe the 2060 is not being able to drive the 9.2s, there was distortion at low frequencies. The 1000, however, was brilliant and was able to drive the 9.2s well. I used 3-4 Indian Ocean tracks for the audition. I was quite impressed with the Norge 1000, however the simple "lab" equipment looks and lack of a remote didn't go well with my wife. Also auditioned Yamaha AX497, liked the sound. The base was high at default level and I had to lessen the bass to get the sound that I desired.

We finally decided in favor of Yamaha as it provides higher power at a budget price point (compared to other brand I loved: Marantz). We went in for an AVR as it'll allow us to build up a HT setup. Though it's a small point, but the built in tuner also added a few grams to the decision.

I would like to Thank everyone for their valuable inputs & that helped me take the plunge; and for your patience in helping a newbie. I'm hoping to learn more from all you wonderful folks, and contributing in whatever way I can.

Cheers!

Moderator: Please move this thread to the "What should I buy?" section

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back